Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stones fans musical tastes
Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 9, 2009 00:14

Sohoe
Thanks for the stories Nanker. Quite some memories

I unfortunatley is way too young to ever have witnessed the crazy energy shows in their mid-to-late-eighties heyday. Haven't had a chance to see them since the re-union either, and with only a few festival gigs lined up [so far] for the summer, it probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon

...didn't know tapes of their earliest gigs existed

I've got a few Sohoe winking smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 9, 2009 00:47

I love you too, Saturn 57!!winking smiley And so sorry to make you sad, Adrian!! After seeing your man Ryan opening for the Stones a few years ago, I have had a real dislike for him and his material!! Hope you like the rest of my list.
Bjorn, you are right,I checked, it is " Had Too Much To Dream"...By the Electric Prunes. A senior moment.
I agree with Doubledoor who said that because of the Stones he acquired a taste for other styles of music. I got into Robert Johnson because of the Stones, and Muddy Waters, and the old blues masters. It opened my eyes to the various types of blues, the British Blues, Delta Blues, Chicago Blues etc. Also, because of the many opening acts throughout the years, I experienced artists I'd never had taken a second look at. John Mayer is one that totally amazed me! He was outstanding the 2 nights I saw him. He is truly under-rated as a guitar player. Anyway, this has been fun seeing who everyone listens to, other than the world's greatest band!

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 9, 2009 00:55

Like Doubledoor and others who have posted, the Stones definitely turned me on to other, mostly older stuff as well.

Mainly the Blues...I started with Muddy & Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller), etc., and branched out to the other Chess musicians as well over the years. Eventually I got into other blues, such as the Cobra recordings of Buddy Guy, Magic Sam, and Otis Rush, and more 'ancient' stuff like Leadbelly, Charlie Patton, and of course Robert Johnson. John Lee Hooker and Lightning Hopkins are also favorites of mine, and have influenced my guitar playing a lot. For contemporary 'white boy' blues, Ronnie Earl, Joe Bonnamassa, & the Black Keys have been doing it for me lately.

The Stones' forays into country led me to eventually become a fan of Hank Williams (I also like HW III a hell of a lot, never had much use for HW Jr. though), Buck Owens, George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc. And I love the sound of the pedal steel guitar...there is an alternate version of 'Heart of Stone" with a pedal steel guitar, and that inspired me to check out Speedy West. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Gram Parsons, who of course had a strong connection to the Stones.

I first got turned on to Peter Tosh through the Stones. I had never been much of a Marley fan before then, although I had heard a fair amount of it...by getting into Tosh, I eventually started liking Marley, and now like his work quite a bit. And that opened me up to Toots And the Maytalls (incredible stuff...he's like the reggae Otis Redding!) and older Jamaican ska stuff (I never really warmed up to the English ska of the 80s, but I love the real stuff.)

I love all kinds of music...with the exception of opera and most rap/hip-hop - I especially love rock (especially British Invasion - has anyone mentioned the Small Faces yet? A criminally overlooked band here in the States...I can see why Keef wanted Steve Mariott to replace Brian Jones).

To me, the Stones exemplify everything I love the most about rock music. I could go on and on, but I guess I'm just mostly repeating a lot of what's been said here already.

Oh yeah, one other thing...does anyone else here ever listen to Pandora? Its an online music thing, where you type in the name of a band you like, and they play supposedly "similar" artists. If you type in the Stones, they play a lot of crap! Queen? Mellencamp? JOURNEY???? What about bands that were actually influenced by the Stones, like the Yardbirds or the New York Dolls?

I have found Pandora to be quite educational in exploring bands/musicians I've been curious about however...such as Davey Graham, the Meters, Indigenous, Jimmy Bruno, Spooky Tooth, etc.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 9, 2009 01:24

I like blues,jimi hendrix,ac/dc
but i also get into everclear,weezer stuff like that, 80s metal bands such as poison,tesla,skid row,cinderella,greatwhite etc.I also like John Digweed,Tiesto,drumNbase

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 9, 2009 08:28

...and another Pogues fan.

I'm glad to see Stones fans have such an impressive range of musical tastes - and good taste too. I don't like it when people assume that because you like the Rolling Stones you like all those other rock bands from the 70's etc.

My own record collection is made up of almost equal parts blues, jazz, reggae, Irish traditional, early R&B, early R&R, early country. There's good stuff to be found in many genres. You just have to look for it. Other than Bruce and the Stones, I don't listen to very much white classic rock music, (except on my car radio when the choices are so limited).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2009 09:28

Stones have one of the best singers in this world and I like every band that has good singers from Animals to Strokes...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home