Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen Setlists 2009
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 10, 2009 20:14

On the subject of HTBASITC...You be the judge:

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2009 20:16

I thought Bowie did a great job on it, actually - although I wouldnt go as far as Erik did and say it's the 'definitive' version. Its just different, but excellent in it's own way.

Both of them could do little wrong in that era.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-10 20:19 by Gazza.

Date: April 10, 2009 20:22

Gazza

I thought Bowie did a great job on it, actually - although I wouldnt go as far as Erik did and say it's the 'definitive' version. Its just different, but excellent in it's own way.

Of course, my post was somewhat biased. The live version of HTBASITC can't be compared to a studio version. Also, seeing Bruce and Stevie in pre-commercial days is alluring as well.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 10, 2009 20:32

Erik_Snow
"It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City".....found the performances Springsteen gave in the 70s of that one, a great highlight of the shows back then; but surprisingly David Bowie did the definate version of it....I'd say; he should have included it on Station To Station. Bowie was quite a Springsteen fan in those days....he also recorded "Growin' Up" for the Diamond Dogs album

Not quite Erik, but very close. Bowie recorded Growin Up for Pin Ups (his covers album). Springsteen heard the version when he visited Bowie in the studio and was politely unimpressed.

Date: April 10, 2009 20:38

I'm really upset that he hasn't played Surprise Surprise and Queen of the Supermarket. They're the best songs he's written since Real Man and Pony Boy. grinning smiley

Date: April 10, 2009 20:54

Nikolai- Agreed

For reference purposes:

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 10, 2009 23:02

Nikolai
Erik_Snow
"It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City".....found the performances Springsteen gave in the 70s of that one, a great highlight of the shows back then; but surprisingly David Bowie did the definate version of it....I'd say; he should have included it on Station To Station. Bowie was quite a Springsteen fan in those days....he also recorded "Growin' Up" for the Diamond Dogs album

Not quite Erik, but very close. Bowie recorded Growin Up for Pin Ups (his covers album). Springsteen heard the version when he visited Bowie in the studio and was politely unimpressed.

For Pin Ups....OK - thanks for the correction; I was thinking about the "30th anniversary edition" of Diamond Dogs, which includes Growin' Up.
There are some photos of Bruce meeting Bowie in the mid 70s.....absolutely bizarre - Bowie looks like a ghost; and Bruce seems so....normal

Date: April 11, 2009 00:23

Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Erik_Snow

For Pin Ups....OK - thanks for the correction; I was thinking about the "30th anniversary edition" of Diamond Dogs, which includes Growin' Up.
There are some photos of Bruce meeting Bowie in the mid 70s.....absolutely bizarre - Bowie looks like a ghost; and Bruce seems so....normal

That was when Bowie played him his version of "Saint", I believe. Bowie was in his coke snorting and urine in fridge storing phase then.

Interesting story about those Bowie deluxe editions: as a ruse to get as much money as possible out of EMI for his back catalogue, he played them a whole bunch of outtakes and demos, including demos for his musical of "1984" (which became Diamond Dogs). He promised EMI that he'd release the outtakes but, when it came to the crunch, he nixed the idea. There were plans to issue "30th Anniversary" editions of everything up to and including Let's Dance. Station to Station made it as far as test pressing stages. The extra disc was to have included the whole "Thin White Duke" concert from Nassau Colliseum. This was remixed by Tony Visconti. There were also quite extensive plans for a Berlin period box set. Then two things happened: 1).Bowie said no and 2). EMI hit the skids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-11 00:30 by Nikolai.

Date: April 11, 2009 00:28

Nikolai
Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Erik_Snow

That was when Bowie played him his version of "Saint", I believe. Bowie was in his coke snorting and urine in fridge storing phase then.

...and milk-instead-of-food-phase - I reckon Bowie thought milk was quite alike cocaine; colourwise, and therefor found it to be "trustable"....ha ha
Watched the Cracked Actor DVD yesterday actually....scary footage ! Bowie looks like a skeleton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-11 00:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 11, 2009 00:31

Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Erik_Snow
Nikolai
Erik_Snow

...and milk-instead-of-food-phase ! Watched the Cracked Actor DVD yesterday actually (honest)....scary footage ! Bowie looks like a skeleton....glad he got out of that lifestyle; in one way or the other

Brilliant doc that. Love him freaking out and sniffing away when he hears the cop car behind his limo.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 11, 2009 00:38

Bowie's versions of Springsteen songs are terrible. Nothing to redeem them.

Date: April 11, 2009 01:26

Gazza

Well maybe I pushed it a little too far - but as you say; Bowie did a great job on it.....made the song fit into his own "style"....almost like he did with "Let's Spend The Night Together" in 1973 - but even better (IMO)

Date: April 11, 2009 01:27

baxlap
Bowie's versions of Springsteen songs are terrible.

Too each his own...or something like that

Date: April 11, 2009 02:03

Erik_Snow
Gazza

Well maybe I pushed it a little too far - but as you say; Bowie did a great job on it.....made the song fit into his own "style"....almost like he did with "Let's Spend The Night Together" in 1973 - but even better (IMO)

May sound sacrilegeous to many, but I prefer Bowie's version of LSTNT to the Stones' one.

Date: April 11, 2009 02:18

Gazza
Erik_Snow
Gazza

May sound sacrilegeous to many, but I prefer Bowie's version of LSTNT to the Stones' one.

....that's understandable, Gazza ! But since the official 1967 version of LSTNT has a special position for me....ever since I was a kid, it's the definate version for me.....Bowie's version is still fantastic tho'.....and SO much better than one could expect any cover-version to be

Date: April 11, 2009 11:27

Have any of you heard Bowie's version of Dylan's Tryin' To Get To Heaven? I think he recorded it in 1997. I thought it was going to be terrible, but it's actually pretty good. Never officially released, but it's out there on bootleg.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 11, 2009 20:40

A barn burner of a show in Denver last night. Seems like the best show of the tour so far:

1. Badlands
2. THE TIES THAT BIND
3. Outlaw Pete
4. Out In The Street
5. Working On A Dream
6. Seeds
7. Johnny 99
8. Youngstown
9. TOUGHER THAN THE REST
10. Darlington County
11. THE E STREET SHUFFLE (a request sign)
12. Prove It All Night
13. Waiting On A Sunny Day
14. The Promised Land
15. The Wrestler
16. RACING IN THE STREETS (a request sign)
17. Kingdom of Days
18. Lonesome Day
19. The Rising
20. Born To Run

21. Hard Times
22. Thunder Road
23. Tenth Avenue Freezeout
24. Land Of Hope & Dreams
25. American Land
26. Glory Days

Date: April 11, 2009 21:01

SCL

Without a doubt close to perfection.

Date: April 11, 2009 21:15

Wow! Now THAT'S a setlist.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 11, 2009 22:41

Glad to see he's getting back on track!

Date: April 11, 2009 22:42

Nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-12 10:53 by BluzDude.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 12, 2009 23:01

It's good that he doesn;t play many songs from the new album.As much as I like it I don't think that all of the songs could work well in the live setting, especially at stadiums.It's one of his most mellow albums and as such ,it is a great success because he dared to change his sound so drastically this late into his career and succeed in creating another almost flawless record.However once I get to see him this summer I wanna hear old classics and a good measure of songs from Magic and The Rising.These songs reach a whole other level of quality and despite how great the songs form working on a dream are, they pale in comparison to Magic or The Rising. Also the more he experiments with his setlist the better results will be.He has so much great material that he almost can't go wrong unless he sticks to his greatest hits some of which can't even come close to his best material.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 13, 2009 15:25

sweetcharmedlife
A barn burner of a show in Denver last night. Seems like the best show of the tour so far:

1. Badlands
2. THE TIES THAT BIND
3. Outlaw Pete
4. Out In The Street
5. Working On A Dream
6. Seeds
7. Johnny 99
8. Youngstown
9. TOUGHER THAN THE REST
10. Darlington County
11. THE E STREET SHUFFLE (a request sign)
12. Prove It All Night
13. Waiting On A Sunny Day
14. The Promised Land
15. The Wrestler
16. RACING IN THE STREETS (a request sign)
17. Kingdom of Days
18. Lonesome Day
19. The Rising
20. Born To Run

21. Hard Times
22. Thunder Road
23. Tenth Avenue Freezeout
24. Land Of Hope & Dreams
25. American Land
26. Glory Days

Tougher Than The Rest has been my all-time favorite Boss song since that album came out! Fantastic to see it in there!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 16, 2009 09:34

Badlands
Darkness On The Edge of Town
Outlaw Pete
Out In The Street
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Ghost of Tom Joad (Tom.M)
I'm Going Down
Raise Your Hand
Spirit In the Night
Waiting On A Sunny Day
Promised Land
The Wrestler
Racing In The Street
Kingdom Of Days
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run

Hard Times
10 Avenue Freezeout
Land Of Hope and Dreams
American Land
Rosalita

Looks like another excellent show....and our very own BluzDude was in Da house....As he will be again tomorrow night along with yours truly.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-16 17:08 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: SonnyBoythe3rd ()
Date: April 16, 2009 10:17

Lights out at 8:15 and back on about 10:58---just short of 2 hrs 45 minutes.But it was Great! Darkness, a nice treat!

Date: April 16, 2009 15:08

He seems to have settled into 23 songs now, and this setlist doesn't seem to have much in the way of variety from what's been done prior. Hope for you guys going he shakes it up again!

Date: April 16, 2009 15:17

For all the Bruce fans, on Record Day this Saturday, Bruce is releasing an exclusive 45" single only available at participating record shops. More info here:

[www.recordstoreday.com]

Single is What Love Can Do b/w A Night With The Jersey Devil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-16 15:18 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 16, 2009 15:39

VoodooLounge13
He seems to have settled into 23 songs now, and this setlist doesn't seem to have much in the way of variety from what's been done prior. Hope for you guys going he shakes it up again!

I think that setlist omits Tenth Avenue Freeze out, which was also played last night.

Date: April 16, 2009 16:30

10th Ave was the 2nd song of the encore!

SCL, he is saving the really good stuff for you!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-16 16:31 by BluzDude.

Date: April 16, 2009 16:31

Oh. Thanks Gazza. Did you check out that 45"? Not sure if you collect vinyl on him or not. Do you have the Live Collection 4-track CD EP that coincides with the Live boxset? I just bought this one, and am waiting for it to arrive. Can't believe I had a hole in my Bruce collection - of course I don't have that little iTunes exclusive release from last year either since it wasn't an official CD release...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home