Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: April 1, 2009 03:49

Mathijs
Taylor does backup vocals as well.

Mathijs

Mathijs:

In your best guess, what guitar is Keith playing in the intro?

I'm guessing a Les Paul Custom.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 1, 2009 05:18

"The song starts rather mediocre". Greatest ignorant statement OF THE YEAR! What a MORON!

Date: April 1, 2009 05:22

That run through is a bit odd eh?

Posted by: René ()
Date: April 1, 2009 09:22

cc & skipstone:
It's "plastic boots" & "flatted feet" indeed. Thanks!

loog doog:
Never heard about Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane doing backing vocals before, new to me. Anyone else knows about this story?

René

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: April 1, 2009 11:48

One of my favorite

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2009 11:48

slew
The opening riff is still thrilling 38 years later. An absolute masterpiece and I believe the jam story. Its like two songs in one! I can listen to the openeing riff all day same with Rocks Off. This is what the Stones are all about!

The jam story may be true in that it happened when they first attempted the song or something, but it seems very unlikely that the released version is a recorded document of that first time.

skipstone
That run through is a bit odd eh?

Tis a bit shaky, tentative huh!? Still it's cool to hear em play it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 1, 2009 12:47

Mathijs

To my ears, both the sax and guitar solo are pre-thought, they were written to be recorded like this. It does not sound like a jam to me.

Mathijs

It makes sense. By the way, last time I saw Taylor live, while introducing Knocking he did say "this is something that I had been playing already some time before joining the stones".

C

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 1, 2009 13:58

skipstone
It is plastic boots and flatted feet.

Plastic boots in one line of the song definitely. In the other line, I think he sings "Hear my prowling, I've got padded feet". That is, padded feet like a cat.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: April 1, 2009 15:31

I love the rehearsal clip. That's exactly how my band covers the intro! smiling smiley

But this is a classic song. Quite an overdriven sound in the intro for Keith, does suggest the Les Paul. And I agree that the jam might just technically be a jam but has been very thoroughly rehearsed before this take or takes were put out.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2009 16:29

liddas
Mathijs

To my ears, both the sax and guitar solo are pre-thought, they were written to be recorded like this. It does not sound like a jam to me.

Mathijs

It makes sense. By the way, last time I saw Taylor live, while introducing Knocking he did say "this is something that I had been playing already some time before joining the stones".

C

Well, if true (and why not), perhaps this explains quite well the existence of quite two distinct "songs" in it. I need to say that the first time I wittnessed Taylor doing this song live, this sort of idea also came to my mind. Just playing the "jam part", Taylor sounded like remarking that he is playing something very much created by his own hands. (Anyway, watching that clip of the Stones rehearsing it, I was impressed of how "correctly" Keith plays the jam part, and kind of leads the band onwards. To know the thing so well implicates that he must have been quite involved in making it - he wouldn't bother to teach it from someone else I guess...)

Anyway, also to my ears the "jam part" sounds a bit too well-thought and arranged to be a real result of hectic jam moment.

Perhaps Keith confuses "Knock" with "Going Home", or quotes Eric Clapton from other masterpiece made about same time ("Layla") ....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-01 16:32 by Doxa.

Date: April 1, 2009 16:41

Like Mick said about Keith saying "It just happens, man", ha ha, you don't just write a song like that and record it once. That thing was obviously rehearsed.

Regardless of how it was done, it's placement in the sequencing is brilliant. It really makes Sticky Fingers one of their most dynamic albums if not their most dynamic album (and their best album ever). The only other album that could come close to SF in terms of having everything one could possibly want from an album is Let It Bleed. But SF is a much better version of that I think. For example, where Midnight Rambler sounds a tad bit restrained on LIB, CYHMK sounds light years beyond it.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 1, 2009 16:58

terraplane
skipstone
It is plastic boots and flatted feet.

Plastic boots in one line of the song definitely. In the other line, I think he sings "Hear my prowling, I've got padded feet". That is, padded feet like a cat.

hmm, that makes sense, but more for "Midnight Rambler." Here's it the opposite--he's making a racket, not sneaking around. But maybe that's what he says in that line...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 1, 2009 17:01

....the opening riff is instantly recognizable....one of the best in rock ever.

Date: April 1, 2009 17:05

Flatted feet meaning noisy. That's my take on it anyway. Walking like a... what's the word...big forehead...I'm drawing a blank. Not cave man ha ha but...something.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 1, 2009 17:11

According to my copy of the 1971 Abkco published music the first two lines are:" Yeah you got satin shoes, Yeah you've got plastic boots " and the other line "Hear me growlin',yeah, I've got flat-ted feet" but then the published lyrics aint always right, is it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-01 17:12 by scottkeef.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 1, 2009 17:28

yeah, I'm probably remembering the same published source. When you read that, then listen, it sounds right, but I don't know what I'd think if I'd never read it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2009 19:44

batonrouge75
Mathijs
Taylor does backup vocals as well.

Mathijs

Mathijs:

In your best guess, what guitar is Keith playing in the intro?

I'm guessing a Les Paul Custom.

Would be my guess as well. Amp is harder though. It sounds like a tube amp, but it also has some fizziness like from a Big Muff or something. It also could be a Deluxe on 10 though, with the speaker farting out.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 1, 2009 19:45

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

C

The chords and patterns Taylor plays during the jam indeed sounds like something he has been playing for quite some time. Another reason to not believe the "we did it in one go" story.

Mathijs

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:04

Slim Harpo
Quite an overdriven sound in the intro for Keith, does suggest the Les Paul. And I agree that the jam might just technically be a jam but has been very thoroughly rehearsed before this take or takes were put out.

When I play it live with an open G Tele through a cranked Twin.....it is soooo close to Keiths sound.......cool smiley

At lower volumes I just plug in my tube screamer.....

On the 'Jam' I sometimes flick to the neck 'bucker...bootiful

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-01 20:07 by Fingers.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 1, 2009 20:39

Mathijs

Would be my guess as well. Amp is harder though. It sounds like a tube amp, but it also has some fizziness like from a Big Muff or something.

Mathijs

Sounds like a description for a cranked Vox Supreme. cool smiley

I think the only certainty regarding the amp is that it wasn't a Marshall hehe. grinning smiley

Date: April 1, 2009 21:41

Fender Champ.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 20, 2010 02:51

I can hear what I believe to be a piano on this track. It is most audible from 2:04 to 2:42. Does anyone agree with me on this? And if so, who do you think is playing it? It sounds like Stu to me, but I'm no expert - on the contrary, even.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 02:58 by FreeBird.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: August 20, 2010 10:52

FreeBird
I can hear what I believe to be a piano on this track. It is most audible from 2:04 to 2:42. Does anyone agree with me on this? And if so, who do you think is playing it? It sounds like Stu to me, but I'm no expert - on the contrary, even.

Piano indeed during the last chorus before the impro part ...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:31

There are two songs in one, the first rocking part is structured by riffmaster Keith, the second Jazz-influenced by MT and Bobby Keys. One of the few Stones songs with strong influences from Jazz patterns. A track that is suited for live improvisations.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:47

skipstone
Fender Champ.

grinning smiley

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:48

my favourite song. i also never believed the jam theory. forget it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 19:37

GREAT SONG!! So glad I got the chance to hear it live on the Licks tour!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 19:44

I wonder how much they payed Darryll to sit this through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 19:46 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: August 20, 2010 20:04

Amsterdamned
I wonder how much they payed Darryll to sit this through.

tut tut tut Amsterdamned........stirring up trouble again i see

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 20:44

<tut tut tut Amsterdamned........stirring up trouble again i see><ThankGod>

Pardon me your Highness,

My comment is not meant to be Stones bashing.
The guitar playing in particular here is an insult to the song imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-20 20:46 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home