Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 30, 2009 20:22

It's not really a Santana rip off, it's just got a latin feel to it. Loads of bands did latin sounding jams around about then - The Grateful dead, The Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac etc etc. If anything, Santana nicked a lot from Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 30, 2009 20:28

ok ok - i never understood why peter green never sued the stones....better?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 30, 2009 20:29

It is plastic boots and flatted feet.

Great song, one of their best ever. Yeah, the end ("jam") part is way to organised to be just letting the tape roll. However, that may be the case that they did let the tape roll and then went back and worked on it, which is never said. There's NO WAY "that just happened, man".

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 30, 2009 21:15

The song starts rather mediocre, but the instrumental is one of the best things the Stones ever recorded, it is miles better than anything the loudmouth Santana ever recorded.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 30, 2009 21:30

Hey, we've forgotten the "most important" question: Is this a Mick Taylor composition?!
No, it isn't. Because: It is a thoroughly composed Jagger/Richards song until the jam: complete lyrics, chorus/verses/bridge.
If it deserves a co-composer then it is Bobby Keys and not Mick Taylor as it's him who opens the jamming improvisation and Mick Taylor is answering to that given inspiration.
If we ever have to change composing credits regarding the Rolling Stones camp - a la "Lennon"/McCartney's Yesterday - then we should have to start with Jamming With Edward where everybody is honoured except Mick Jagger (a nice gesture by him, isn't it?) and BILL WYMAN! And I have never found a no matter how profound Stones expert who could tell me the reason why.

Date: March 30, 2009 21:36

windmelody
The song starts rather mediocre, but the instrumental is one of the best things the Stones ever recorded, it is miles better than anything the loudmouth Santana ever recorded.

carlos rarely speaks on record

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2009 21:36

The Santana influence is unmistakable.

However, I find it most like "Song of the Wind" from Caravanserai that was released in late 1972, long after the spring 1971 release of Sticky Fingers.

Still, I agree that the jam is a nod to a style that was popular at the time - The Stones were always great at that! (Blues, Motown, Psychedelia, Reggae, hell, even disco!)

Ross

Date: March 30, 2009 21:41

T&A
windmelody

carlos rarely speaks on record

I know, but he is overrated and often presents himself as a genious. His style is okay, but not that fantastic.

Date: March 30, 2009 21:50

presents himself as a genius? when? where?

Date: March 30, 2009 21:57

I read several interviews with him in which he describes his work and the work of some Woodstock artists, he always says things likes " we were so inspired, we were so talented". Do not get me wrong, some of his albums are good, but they do not impress me so much.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 30, 2009 21:58

Santana = 1 trick pony

Date: March 30, 2009 22:00

wow - carlos is not overrated and he has more guitar tricks up his sleeve than ronnie and keith combined. and if anything, he is among the more humble musicians i've heard of....

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 30, 2009 22:07

yeah, Santana is cool. "Mother's Daughter" rocks tongue sticking out smiley and "Conquistadore Rides Again" (1969)...

I love the first part, too.

Date: March 30, 2009 22:09

T&A
wow - carlos is not overrated and he has more guitar tricks up his sleeve than ronnie and keith combined. and if anything, he is among the more humble musicians i've heard of....

Are you Santana or a relative of his? Anyway, enjoy Santana, I did not want to disrespect him, I prefer others. Rock on T&A!

Date: March 30, 2009 22:15

ha - no, but i'm from his hometown here. i understand the whole different strokes and different tastes and all that. i don't like all kinds of artists that others revere, but can't recall much dissing of the man's talent or humility before....that's really not a matter of taste, it's a matter of fact...

Date: March 30, 2009 22:22

T&A
ha - no, but i'm from his hometown here. i understand the whole different strokes and different tastes and all that. i don't like all kinds of artists that others revere, but can't recall much dissing of the man's talent or humility before....that's really not a matter of taste, it's a matter of fact...

So you are from a very beautiful region in a fascinating country. I have never been to Mexico, but I would like to go there. I like the mexican composer Manuel Ponce, Paco de Lucia, a wonderful guitarist has a house in Mexico, and of course you have the great Salma Hayek.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 30, 2009 22:26

mick taylor plays a gibson (viceroy brown)345 early sixties on the solo for cyhmk.from a very old copy of guitar player magazine circa 1979

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: March 30, 2009 22:27

I just love this.......one of their best......and no audience.....

Date: March 30, 2009 22:27

ha. of course, i'm referring to san francisco, his hometown since the early sixties....

Date: March 30, 2009 22:31

T&A
ha. of course, i'm referring to san francisco, his hometown since the early sixties....
A wonderful city as well.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 30, 2009 22:31

windmelody

Are you kidding me? The intro is one of the greatest of all time. I don't beleive anybody would even say that. When the song starts it's like a slap in the face. A huge rush!

Date: March 30, 2009 22:33

Fingers
I just love this.......one of their best......and no audience.....

This rocks indeed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 31, 2009 00:01

More Hot Rocks
windmelody

Are you kidding me? The intro is one of the greatest of all time. I don't beleive anybody would even say that. When the song starts it's like a slap in the face. A huge rush!

yeah, he likes the bit that sounds like Santana, but doesn't like Santana, and doesn't like the intro, which sounds like the Stones. Go figure.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 31, 2009 00:12

This is a fantastic song from the first to the last second.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 31, 2009 00:33

I still wouldve liked to see what it would have done as a 45 split into part 1 and part2 (the split in the obvious place). remember in 71 AM airwaves still ruled for the most part. I remember the review of this in David Daltons 70s book said it was like changing the radio station from WROK to WJAZ in mid-song!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 31, 2009 06:31

I've read that Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane did (uncredited) backing vocals on this song.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:14

His Majesty
I doubt that the take on the released version happened in quite the manner they say it did. The instrumental part is far too organised and concise to be a ''oh, should we keep going?'' on the spot 1st take jam. I bet they had a few go's at it hence the apparent structure etc.

I wouldn't be that surprised to learn that the instrumental part is actually edited on to the end of the song. Kinda like they chose the best take of the song part, then an edit of the best slightly structured jam and joined em together.

There was an interview in Guitar Mag a couple of months ago with the guitarist of a band that was recording one door down at Olympic (I forgot the band, Fairport Convention or something, I can look it up), and he remembers that in between takes of his own band they would all go listen to the Stones rehearsing and recording. He states that they played CYHMK over an dover again for some days.

To my ears, both the sax and guitar solo are pre-thought, they were written to be recorded like this. It does not sound like a jam to me.

Mathijs

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:25

Mathijs

To my ears, both the sax and guitar solo are pre-thought, they were written to be recorded like this. It does not sound like a jam to me.

Mathijs

yeah those are shurely overdubs!!

Posted by: novica ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:33

i've always considered this song as one of the best stones songs,maybe one of the best in rock and roll.
it has such power from first tact right to the end,keith's riff signature, mick taylor is ,you know, mick taylor ...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 1, 2009 01:31

The opening riff is still thrilling 38 years later. An absolute masterpiece and I believe the jam story. Its like two songs in one! I can listen to the openeing riff all day same with Rocks Off. This is what the Stones are all about!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home