Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 20, 2010 20:56

ThankGod
Amsterdamned
I wonder how much they payed Darryll to sit this through.

tut tut tut Amsterdamned........stirring up trouble again i see

i think the problem is keith never plays guitar anymore. i mean really. how often do you think he played anything at home the last 20-30 years, leave alone learn anything new on the guitar. this vid shows me he is trying to learn the song and getting into shape during the rehearsal, when actually he should be able to nail it when it´s time to rehearse.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:10

Love the second chorus - especially the call and response part

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:50

whitem8
INCREDIBLE! Yes, a masterpiece, and epic, and just thrilling. I never get tired of it and can listen to it over and over again.
Firstly, it starts with some of Keith's most vicious opening riffs. Then he slides back to that jazzy rhythm, just getting such a great groove going with Mick Taylor's guitar. Great weaving going on between them. Mick is just shredding the decadent vocals, a thrilling portrait of groupies, and high society star whores. Starfvckers. Then there is the great percussion and drumming. So jazzy yet hard hitting rock. Then it morphs into an incredible jam session. Everyone at the top of their game. A sublime masterpiece and one of my all time favorite stones' track that epitomizes everything I love about them.

Beautifully put, whitem8. CYHMK, one of the greatest Stones compositions of all, distills their genius at the height of their powers. As the years have gone by, I’ve realized that this track is really taking you on a sonic journey to wondrous places, the likes of which you have never seen before. Places out of a dream, that at once make life worth living and horrify you with their depravity and evil.

It starts off with what is (I believe) the most deliciously aggressive, in-your-face guitar riffing Keith has ever recorded. That opening guitar volley just tears a hole in the universe and catapults the listener on a rocket ride to heaven, destroying all that is impure and false. If righteous fury hath a sound, surely this is it.

Then, we have a brief moment of respite between the opening riff and the next one. Indeed, the opening riff deserves a moment of silence, because it is so perfect. And leaving a space between the notes creates this incredible tension and anticipation that is then released by the next salvo of sonic fury. No one has ever better illustrated that “music is the space in between the notes”! CYHMK is real, organic music … music that breathes because it is truly alive.

Not only is Keith’s riffing relentlessly brutal and savage, but it is funky as hell, too, and Charlie picks up on the funkiness and magnifies its extraordinary power. Listen closely to Charlie’s drumming throughout this track; what you hear is genius. The interplay between Keith and Charlie, the rhythmic propulsion they create, is jaw-dropping. And Mick pushes the rhythmic ecstasy to a whole new level, belting out stunningly decadent lyrics about satin shoes and cocaine eyes. Dig those irrepressible squeals of delight (or is it pain?) with which Mick finishes some of his “lines” (pun intended).

As brilliant as the core players are, CYHMK is as much a showcase for Bobby Keys as it is for anyone else. Bobby’s sax has never sounded sleazier or raunchier than it does here. Perfectly timed with the rest of the band, Bobby takes the listener further on the dreamlike journey, deeper inside the world of debauchery and hedonism that Mick so brilliantly evokes in his lyrics, and music and time meld and become one. Absolutely electrifying stuff; I get goose-bumps up and down every single time I hear it.

And then, the crowning glory of this track: Mick Taylor’s guitar, so muscular yet delicate, taking the listener even further, carrying us to even greater heights. To me, this is his finest moment on record. There is a knowing quality to his guitar here, like it knows all the evil this world has ever unleashed, and how unbearably painful life can be. How merciless and cold the world really is. Somehow his guitar touches a part of my soul that nothing else before or since has been able to find. A place of unfathomable pain and anger, which his sweet, soaring notes set free, and thus am I liberated and made whole.

Jimmy Miller’s production, of course, is what makes it all work so marvelously. With incredible clarity and attention to detail, he fashions CYHMK into an unforgettable masterpiece.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 20:38 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 21:56

stoneswashed77
ThankGod
Amsterdamned

i think the problem is keith never plays guitar anymore. i mean really. how often do you think he played anything at home the last 20-30 years, leave alone learn anything new on the guitar. this vid shows me he is trying to learn the song and getting into shape during the rehearsal, when actually he should be able to nail it when it´s time to rehearse.

Good analysis regarding Keith.

Date: August 20, 2010 22:33

Amsterdamned
stoneswashed77
ThankGod
Amsterdamned

imagine lance armstrong not cycling for 2 weeks. he would need 2 months to be back in shape again. after say a 6 month break it is very likely to never ever reach the same shape again. now imagine a guitarist playing randomly on and off for 30 years.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 21, 2010 05:22

One of the best songs ever recorded by anyone!!! I never get tired of the openning riff!! A materpiece so powerful and I love the second part too!!!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 21, 2010 11:49

Amsterdamned

Agree, but the solo of Ronnie is much better than many of his efforts during the tour. He seems to be in good shape, but Keith tries to recognize the strange thing that he holds in his hands: "Hey it seems to be a peace of wood making some noise ..."

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 21, 2010 11:51

RobertJohnson
Amsterdamned

Agree, but the solo of Ronnie is much better than many of his efforts during the tour. He seems to be in good shape, but Keith tries to recognize the strange thing that he holds in his hands: "Hey it seems to be a peace of wood making some noise ..."

Sorry, "piece of wood" of course, I'm not in good shape, too, lousy morning ...

Date: August 21, 2010 14:34

stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned
stoneswashed77
ThankGod
Amsterdamned

imagine lance armstrong not cycling for 2 weeks. he would need 2 months to be back in shape again. after say a 6 month break it is very likely to never ever reach the same shape again. now imagine a guitarist playing randomly on and off for 30 years.

Keith without dope or trouble with his hands? 1 week playing 2 hours a day.

Date: August 21, 2010 15:14

Amsterdamned

are you saying that after a 3-4 year break all keith got to do is play guitar 2h a day for 1 week to be back in shape?

mmhhh, maybe he only had 2 days and 30 min. a day to prepare for the last tour.

Date: August 21, 2010 16:46

stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned

are you saying that after a 3-4 year break all keith got to do is play guitar 2h a day for 1 week to be back in shape?

Considering the parts he has to play, and playing the guitar every now and than,that must be no problem imo.He has played all songs a 1000000000 times.
It's in his genes I presume.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 21, 2010 17:35

One of the greatest songs ever. Much is made of the Santana-like guitar playing by Taylor, but I think the jam has a Low Spark-era Traffic thing going.

Date: August 21, 2010 18:20

Amsterdamned
stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned

Considering the parts he has to play, and playing the guitar every now and than,that must be no problem imo.He has played all songs a 1000000000 times.

r u serious. i think his part is very difficult to play. ppl always underestimate keith, i really wonder why. with the stones there is a very thin line between awful and magic. you have to be in shape for magic.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2010 19:14

stoneswashed77

I imagine that drugs would be very helpful to get back into shape.

Date: August 21, 2010 20:58

stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned
stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned

r u serious. i think his part is very difficult to play. ppl always underestimate keith, i really wonder why. with the stones there is a very thin line between awful and magic. you have to be in shape for magic.

I don't underestimate Keith. He can do that.He's got one year if there is another tour.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 21, 2010 21:13

I always wondered about the "gas light streets" lyric. I thought gas lamps were from the 1920's or something? Were the street lights still illuminated with gas in the 1970's?

Date: August 21, 2010 21:24

mckalk
I always wondered about the "gas light streets" lyric. I thought gas lamps were from the 1920's or something? Were the street lights still illuminated with gas in the 1970's?

Incandescent tubes are gas light too.
They might be red in some ocassions.
That's Mick's Lyrics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-21 21:30 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 22, 2010 00:55

mckalk

No. But we listened to the Stones played on the wireless when we drove in our horseless carriage.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 23, 2010 21:20

stoneswashed77
Amsterdamned
stoneswashed77
ThankGod
Amsterdamned

I`m sorry , you don`t know anything about this job.They don`t need rehearsals for flogging themselves with huge loud riffs played with 100% fury.They need this for remind song`s structure , for preparing arrange , setting tempo etc.They aren`t amateurs , they know how to make good show and how to put emotions and energy in proper moment during the performance NOT the rehearsal.If you noticed electric guitars have pots for tone and volume and Keith and Ronnie use it for these purposes too.

Date: August 23, 2010 22:52

Sure.There is a difference between 100% fury and being "out of shape". winking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 23, 2010 22:58

Amsterdamned

Whatever it was wasn't enough...

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: August 23, 2010 23:13

Amsterdamned

And yet countless people on this board -- yourself probably included -- would pay to see this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-23 23:13 by dancingmisterd.

Date: August 23, 2010 23:23

dancingmisterd
Amsterdamned

And yet countless people on this board -- yourself probably included -- would pay to see this.

winking smiley :

Date: August 23, 2010 23:40

dancingmisterd
Amsterdamned

Would pay to see this song played badly? Don't be so sure.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: August 23, 2010 23:56

71Tele
dancingmisterd
Amsterdamned

I should have been more clear. I meant people on this board can see this clip & yet would still willingly fork out the cash for a ticket (knowing they may get this type of performance).

Not Amsterdamned, though. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-24 00:32 by dancingmisterd.

Date: August 24, 2010 00:17

dancingmisterd
71Tele
dancingmisterd
Amsterdamned

I should have been more clear. I meant people on this board can see this clip & yet would still willingly fork out the cash for a ticket (knowing they would may get this type of performance).

Not Amsterdamned, though. grinning smiley

Ah, yes. Probably true.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2010 00:47

71Tele
dancingmisterd
Amsterdamned

I like the song from where Bobby Keyes comes on....not too bad at all. Keith is a shadow of former self sadly. He doesn't seem to be able to do the heavy lifting on songs like this...couldn't Ronnie do the signature riff, or would that be marginalizing Keith too far?

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 30, 2010 20:15

RobberBride
FreeBird
I can hear what I believe to be a piano on this track. It is most audible from 2:04 to 2:42. Does anyone agree with me on this? And if so, who do you think is playing it? It sounds like Stu to me, but I'm no expert - on the contrary, even.

Piano indeed during the last chorus before the impro part ...
So, who's playing?

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: August 30, 2010 23:29

Ditto WhiteM8 one of my all time definitive Keith #
any idea what guitar played thru what amp??
the sound Ive been chasing my whole life
RB

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 31, 2010 00:12

Again, Santana (the band) opened for Dylan (with Taylor) on that summer '84 European Tour. Carlos joined Dylan on stage for the electric encore songs. Those songs offer a perfect opportunity to compare and contrast the guitar playing of Carlos and Taylor, style and tone-wise. To me the identity of who is playing what is discernible.

In London Clapton joined the party on stage. It's fun to watch (there is a video) and listen (there is a recording) to two pros like EC and Taylor play on the fly.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home