Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Stevie Ray Vaughan RIP
Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:03

"Now why, if SRV was so great, why is he known for doing someone elses songs?"

Gnat--whats your take on the Stones covers?

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:05

I was fortunate enough to see Stevie in the mid-70s playing with Paul Ray and the Cobras, before he even started his own band. Then, I watched him through various projects, playing in the local bars here in Austin, which was quite common until David Bowie picked him up for "Let's Dance," etc..

Anyway, the point of all of this is Stevie may have always liked Hendrix, but for years after I first saw him, he was a straight blues player. Certainly, as we moved into the 80s, the Hendrix influence (and, indeed, the whole guitar hero thing) started to show and become increasingly apparent.

Personally, I liked him more before the Hendrix phase, but he sure was good at that,too, and then incorporating some of the Hendrix influence into his own sound as he moved through the 80s..

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:07

The lack of imagination. Every band does covers. I have no problem with that. When you are better known for the covers you do than your original songs, then you are lacking in the writing department.

I have talked to people who thought Little Wing and Voodoo Child were SRV songs. I pointed out their mistake, and they all thought Jimi did them better. Ofcourse he did them better, they were/are his, and he was so far above SRV its really pitiful.

And, I stand by the opinion that his tone sucked. It never changed, and grated on my nerves badly. I can't stand the sight of that beat up old Strat with SRV from a mail box on it. Simply terrible.

Date: March 27, 2009 19:09

Glass Slide
"Now why, if SRV was so great, why is he known for doing someone elses songs?"

Gnat--whats your take on the Stones covers?

Are the Rolling Stones known more for their covers or their original songs? The originals.

If they were only known for doing covers, then they would be the same as SRV.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:12

He was - and still is - famous for his sublime tone. Sorry you didn't like the look of one of his guitars, but that really has nothing to do with his musical talent. You seem well versed in guitar music. What model do you favour?

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:12

A big loss for music - RIP,Stevie!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:13

u weren't president of the debate team in school, i'm guessing, gnat.

nobody (on this thread) has argued that jimi was better than srv - i, for one, don't think anyone, including srv, could touch jimi. but, saying that 99% of all guitar players could outplay srv is so ridiculous that you lose all credibility in this discussion. keep it real.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:18

GNAT

He did some of his own material too. Also some blues standards and covered other artists apart from Hendrix. You really should try to get your facts right before you go shooting your mouth off. He respected Hendrix, but was not obsessed with him (as you seem to be).

Date: March 27, 2009 19:23

What model guitar? It doesn't matter, as long as the person playing it is good.

I'm not obsessed with Jimi. There are plenty of people who could out play SRV.

But, that really doesn't matter. Its all opinion anyway. And you people don't seem to like people with their own opinion.

Date: March 27, 2009 19:28

it's not about liking someone, gnat. it's about being able to make a coherent, reasonable argument. i enjoy a good give and take, but i think your opinion and ability to defend your position is warped based on some intense, subjective dislike for srv, rather than a reasoned analysis.....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 27, 2009 19:48

Gnat, are you from South Georgia, USA? I think I know you.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 27, 2009 20:04

T&A
it's not about liking someone, gnat. it's about being able to make a coherent, reasonable argument. i enjoy a good give and take, but i think your opinion and ability to defend your position is warped based on some intense, subjective dislike for srv, rather than a reasoned analysis.....

Gnat is really David Bowie, and he's still pissed that Stevie Ray Vaughn didn't play on his Serious Moonlight tour.

Date: March 27, 2009 20:06

Elmo, you know me. Not in person, but you have dealt with me for a long time now.

Yes I am in Georgia, but I'm much further north than you are.

Just read the signature. Those are lyrics to a certain Keith Richards song......

Date: March 27, 2009 20:08

teleblaster
GNAT

He did some of his own material too. Also some blues standards and covered other artists apart from Hendrix. You really should try to get your facts right before you go shooting your mouth off. He respected Hendrix, but was not obsessed with him (as you seem to be).

I would be far more obsessed with Jimmy Page.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 27, 2009 20:23

Thanks for the great music Stevie. Rest in peace.

Date: March 27, 2009 20:30

I'm with ya, Gnat. Based on those lyrics, I know who ya are. There's a guy in my town (about an hour south of Macon) named Nat who goes by Gnat.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I think SRV was great...

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: March 27, 2009 20:33

good one T&A, Gnat could not have been the president of the team in the Special debate competition. Gnat is an appropriate name for a flamer though

Date: March 27, 2009 20:33

How to Get Rid of Gnats

[www.getridofthings.com]

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 27, 2009 20:51

his guitartone was awfull? haha, that's the quote 2009! congratulations....;-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 27, 2009 20:55

GNAT - AKA like an annoying little dog.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 27, 2009 22:20

GNAT!!! Come on!!!!

1) Stevie still could play better than Jimi even if he had both arms tied behind his back

2) His guitar tone has been the subject of countless articles. Alot of people call it the Holy Grale of tone.

3) Known for his covers? I don't think so. Crossfire, Tightrope etc are not covers. So Van Halen did You really Got Me (there biggest single) is that what they are know for? The Stones first albums were all covers. And still play covers live to this day. If you ask me Hendrix was an inovator and nothing more.

Date: March 27, 2009 22:35

good heavens - we've come full-circle and are bashing jimi, now?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 27, 2009 22:47

No more bashing needed.
Everybody has there favorites here and there, but there have been some really stupid pointless points brought up in this thread...

I prefer SRV and I thank Jimi for inspiring him....and Albert, Jimmie, Lightnin', Skip, Doyle, Mrs. Vaughan, Bo, Elmore, Freddie, Slim, Hubert, T-Bone, Sonny Boy, Muddy, John Lee, Willie D, and countless others for inspiring SRV too.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 27, 2009 23:16

More Hot Rocks
1) Stevie still could play better than Jimi even if he had both arms tied behind his back

I'm with GNAT on this.
To suggest that SRV could play better than Jimi with or without his "arms tied behind his back" says to me that the listener has cloth ears.
He never even came close to Jimi in terms of playing, technique, innovation, feel, or indeed "tone".
SRV was just another plank-w*nker (like so many others) who grabbed hold of Jimi's coat-tails and went along for the ride.
Yes, he could play a hundred notes a second, but so what?

When Chas Chandler was persuading Jimi to come to the UK, Jimi wanted to know if he knew Eric Clapton (then the guitar god), he assured him that not only did he know Eric Clapton but he would be able to introduce him to him.
When he did, at a Cream rehearsal, Cream were persuaded to let Jimi "sit-in" with them and they started to play "Killing Floor", but after a few minutes Eric walked off stage. Chas Chandler found him backstage sat down, smoking a fag looking dejected.
When asked what was wrong Clapton replied "I know you said he was good, but you never said he was that f*cking good"

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-28 00:41 by Deltics.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 28, 2009 00:45

Deltics

When asked what was wrong Clapton replied "I know you said he was good, but you never said he was that f*cking good"

I guess that means Clapton would've offed himself if SRV had shown up at that session...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 28, 2009 01:53

Munichhilton
Deltics

I guess that means Clapton would've offed himself if SRV had shown up at that session...

Nah - Eric didn't have cloth ears.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 28, 2009 02:09

T&A
99% of guitar players would kill to get that strat tone of his....

Don't know how accurate this is: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 28, 2009 03:57

Edith Grove
T&A
99% of guitar players would kill to get that strat tone of his....

Don't know how accurate this is: [en.wikipedia.org]

don't see anything at first blush that looks inaccurate...what, specifically, are you looking at?

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: March 28, 2009 07:44

Hey Gnat, I´m absolutely with you. The songs are written by Stevie are almost average, the covers ( especially Jimis) are sounding like someone shows that he is able to play Jimi note for note. So he`s not a bad guitar player but there are hundreds like him around.

Date: March 28, 2009 10:54

lord i need to jump in here.

first off SRV's biggest hits were orginal tunes. wouldn't that mean he's known more for his original songs? SRV is a guitar god end of story.

also whoever said it van halens biggest hit was JUMP.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home