Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Stephen stills is really underrated
Posted by: digimog ()
Date: March 15, 2010 23:30

Not a stroke - Just some new teeth implants.

Stills just released a new Manassas album with most material coming from the pre- Manassas II sessions at Criteria in Miami. His old producers, Ron and Howard Albert, now at Vision Records in Miami, produced the Rhino Records release in January 2010.

Date: March 16, 2010 00:04

that manassas album was released in 2009

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 16, 2010 00:19

"the lack of respect or recognition he gets is very shocking"

Well much like Dennis Wilson he DESTROYED a potentially brilliant career with booze and coke so he's the one to blame, right?

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: March 16, 2010 05:06

Fantastic guitarist - Too much cocaine.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 16, 2010 05:21

Give me a break.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 16, 2010 07:25

keefriffhard4life
great singer, guitar player and overall musicians. the lack of respect or recognition he gets is very shocking

Maybe that's because he was with those hippie wimps David Crosby and Graham Nash...thank God they had Neil Young sometimes.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: March 16, 2010 12:45

slew
hAS SOMETHING happened to his? He seems to slur like he has had a stroke.
yes, he is deaf. That is what probably causes his 'slur'. But Stephen seemed in good shape. Met him a few times backstage. What a charming man.

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: March 16, 2010 15:54

Saw him February 12 in Santa Cruz, California at a club called the Catalyst. He played a ripping show. Started out with an acoustic set. First with the band members, then solo. He finished the first set with Southern Cross. Beautiful, clean acoustic guitar and quite amazing abilities.

The second set was electric. He played many different songs. He did a Neil Young tune. He played a spectacular version of Dear Mr. Fantasy. He would extend his guitar in front of himself to the side and go wild. An excellent soloist. I would say 3 or 4 songs in the set were magical, the rest were very good.

He talked about Santa Cruz. He couldn't believe kids were playing in the ocean on a chilly day. Each set was an hour with a 20 minute break. The third time I have seen him there over the past 15 years and it was as good as ever. He looked quite good for his age and a lot of energy.

Posted by: chrismusic ()
Date: March 16, 2010 17:27

Would love to know what songs Stills played with the Stones when he sat in on piano with them in Amsterdam back in the late early 70's??

I have only the seen the B&W photo...

any help?

Thanks....

Date: March 16, 2010 17:42

chrismusic
Would love to know what songs Stills played with the Stones when he sat in on piano with them in Amsterdam back in the late early 70's??

I have only the seen the B&W photo...

any help?

Thanks....

I have a feeling it wasn't "Love The One You're With" or "Woodstock".

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 16, 2010 22:07

I think it was Under My Thumb

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 16, 2010 23:49

sigh never mind

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-18 22:46 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 17, 2010 00:07

deadegad
I saw CSN&Y on their last tour, and Stills' guitar skills are outstanding. . .. even better than Neil's fine guitar playing.

Agree. Saw CSNY, and Stills is a superb guitarist.

Date: March 17, 2010 01:45

Neil Young: Great
Stills: Geat guitar player
CS&N?: Not my favorites

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-17 16:33 by 71Tele.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 02:04

Mr. Stills at his best

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 17, 2010 02:19

71Tele
CS&N?: Fat, bloated hippies.

hmmm tele, seems a little shallow of a description, and I know you love MT, but he seems to be tipping the scales as well!

Date: March 17, 2010 03:04

whitem8
71Tele
CS&N?: Fat, bloated hippies.

hmmm tele, seems a little shallow of a description, and I know you love MT, but he seems to be tipping the scales as well!

Yes, ok...Fair is fair. I just hate hippie music, and I think Crosby and Nash are marginally-talented. Maybe the "fat" part was going too far. I'm not that svelte myself these days.

Date: March 17, 2010 06:02

Well to be fair, they have done some great stuff with eachother, especially their harmonies. Long Time Gone is a great Crosby song, and he does a great version of it live with The Black Crowes:-)
Awe come on you like some hippie music! You seem to dig The Beatles:-) They certainly had their hippie streak. Your ain't a Dead fan?

Date: March 17, 2010 07:06

whitem8
Well to be fair, they have done some great stuff with eachother, especially their harmonies. Long Time Gone is a great Crosby song, and he does a great version of it live with The Black Crowes:-)
Awe come on you like some hippie music! You seem to dig The Beatles:-) They certainly had their hippie streak. Your ain't a Dead fan?

HATE the Dead. When I heard the Dead's stoned-vibe slowed down rendition of Chuck's "Around & Around" I wanted to break things. The whole Dead, Wavy Gravy, Jeff. Airplane, Hot Tuna thing leaves me cold. Everything about it. I don't know, maybe there's a little hippie vibe to some of the Beatles, but I don't identify them with hippies particularly. I also can't stand the whole tye-dyed patchouli incense VW van thing. I wouldn't be comfortable in a heavy metal crowd either. We all like what we like.

I find it interesting how many different strands of popular music Stones fans here like. Everything from the ACDC hard rock variety to Dylan to Springsteen. Even the Dead. Viva la diference.

I know, you're now sorry you asked! Cheers.

Date: March 17, 2010 07:16

No I am not sorry I asked:-) I was curious. Ok, and it now makes sense. To each his own. I like the Dead, I used to wear patchouli oil too;-) Until my students said I smelled like a gerbil cage! I don't like every thing they did, but some of it was stupendous. I like hard rock, but not so much into metal. And I loath rap/hip hop! And modern R and B and I can't get my head around how they have labled this amalgamation of hip hop rap as R and B! That drives me crazy!

Date: March 17, 2010 07:36

whitem8
No I am not sorry I asked:-) I was curious. Ok, and it now makes sense. To each his own. I like the Dead, I used to wear patchouli oil too;-) Until my students said I smelled like a gerbil cage! I don't like every thing they did, but some of it was stupendous. I like hard rock, but not so much into metal. And I loath rap/hip hop! And modern R and B and I can't get my head around how they have labled this amalgamation of hip hop rap as R and B! That drives me crazy!

Yes, as a lover of Motown, Stax and James Brown, I never got the appropriation of the R&B label to that kind of contemporary stuff...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-17 16:34 by 71Tele.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:11

Cool it seems like we have a lot of similar tastes in music. I do like Clapton and SRV though. I was, during his time, a big SRV fan. Very cool you got to see R and R Circus with Yoko and Richards behind you! Did you talk with them at all?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 17, 2010 09:00

Theres just one small problem with underrated Mr Stills and that's is: Can he write songs that people remembers, covers and plays on parties?

smoking smiley

Date: March 17, 2010 10:25

Come On
Theres just one small problem with underrated Mr Stills and that's is: Can he write songs that people remembers, covers and plays on parties?

smoking smiley

so because he doesn't wrie songs you play at a party or that people remember he's not underrated? isn't that what makes him underrated? how many mark knopfler songs can you name? exactly he's underrated

Date: March 17, 2010 10:32

Sultans of swing, twistin by the pool...I'm no fan but some of them I play sometimes..Captain Beefheart is underrated because he doesn't wrote a song like 'Bobby Brown' that made Zappa well-known for everybody...

Date: March 17, 2010 12:09

Come On
Sultans of swing, twistin by the pool...I'm no fan but some of them I play sometimes..Captain Beefheart is underrated because he doesn't wrote a song like 'Bobby Brown' that made Zappa well-known for everybody...

those are dire straits tunes. i wanted a solo knopfler song. most people can name a CSN(Y) tune or a buffalo springfield tune but not many can name a stills solo tune

Date: March 17, 2010 14:11

Knopfler solo? Local Hero must be one. I have at least 3 or 4 soundtrack-albums with Mark, but sorry to say, still no Stills but thats still my problems I have to admit...

CSNY, as most people I can say 'Helpless' (original version of 'Knockin on heavens door)..but isn't that Neil Young and I know at least 50 songs of that guy...but on the other hand, Neil is not underrated...he is more sort of undefiled...undeniable...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 17, 2010 15:37

keefriffhard4life
Come On

those are dire straits tunes. i wanted a solo knopfler song. most people can name a CSN(Y) tune or a buffalo springfield tune but not many can name a stills solo tune

How about Love The One You're With?

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 17, 2010 15:50

deadegad
I saw CSN&Y on their last tour, and Stills' guitar skills are outstanding. . .. even better than Neil's fine guitar playing.

Unfortunately his singing is all gone except his slurry "blues" voice. Don't even get me started on how bad his songwriting has become. I've thought for some time that Stills (one of my greatest musical heroes back in the day) has suffered some sort of brain-damage - along the lines of a stroke or something.

Date: March 17, 2010 16:02

whitem8
Cool it seems like we have a lot of similar tastes in music. I do like Clapton and SRV though. I was, during his time, a big SRV fan. Very cool you got to see R and R Circus with Yoko and Richards behind you! Did you talk with them at all?

I like some of Clapton too. He certainly has a long enough career and done enough different things to find some things to like...Unfortunately I didn't get to hang out with Keith or any of the other folks in the roped-off section of the theater, but it was a thrill to be there.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2212
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home