Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Stephen stills is really underrated
Date: March 1, 2009 11:36

great singer, guitar player and overall musicians. the lack of respect or recognition he gets is very shocking

Re: OT: Stephen stills is really underrated
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 1, 2009 12:01

it rocks.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 1, 2009 13:13

Back in the day Stills pissed off a lot of people.

Rock writers responded by dissing or ignoring him.

It became hip not to like him.

Then you combine that with his songwriting suddenly suffering a quick/steep decline after 1972.

And so a generation later there is just no respect for the guy, who in his prime was a MONSTER talent.

To me "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" is like an acoustic "Good Vibrations." It hit the radio like an A-bomb at the time, and I don't know if it just got overplayed too much or if the memory of one too many out-of-tune live versions tainted it for a generation, but to me it's an epic that can't be denied.

If I was young and heard the first CSN album today, I would freak about how great Stills was, and why you don't hear more about it anymore. It's not that he's Nick Drake (who is more well known now than when he was alive), From 1967-1970 he was without question one of the brightest lights in the music world.

Date: March 1, 2009 13:22

i agree JUST ROLL TAPE rock. also his newest solo album MAN ALIVE is the best thing he's done since 1973.

i disagree that his songwriting declined in 1972. from what i've heard he seemed to be fairly close to the top of his game until after the 1977 CSN album. i haven't heard all of STILLS or ILLEGAL STILLS but what i've heard sounded better than average. his next album THOROUFARE GAP or something like that sounded pretty weak but i don't own any of those 3 albums. the CSN songs he did on DAYLIGHT AGAIN were great but then his next solo album RIGHT BY YOU is just plain bad. he still seems to churn out good tunes for CSN (Y) albums but he basically stopped making solo albums after the 70's. he's had 3 since the 70's and only MAN ALIVE seems to get all around good reviews.

would anyone recommend purchasing STILLS, ILLEGAL STILLS or THOROUFARE GAP?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 1, 2009 15:47

keefriffhard4life

No, but if his first solo album (the one Hendrix and Clapton played on) ever gets the "deluxe treatment", I am there.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 1, 2009 16:00

The two Manassas albums and STills 1 & 2 are essential albums.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 1, 2009 17:35

I hear his knife fighting skills have improved greatly! smiling smiley

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 1, 2009 19:44

I saw CSN&Y on their last tour, and Stills' guitar skills are outstanding. . .. even better than Neil's fine guitar playing.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 1, 2009 20:43

Manassas is one of the GREAT underrated albums. A lot of comparisons to Exile too. Both came out within weeks of each other and have distinct sides. Bill Wyman guested on Manassas too and said that he considered leaving The Stones to join them.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 2, 2009 00:07

Yes, very talented guitar player!

Wasn't he the one who received some charity plaque that was later discovered in the trash can at the same venue?

And didn't Ron Wood note some hatred toward him from Keith Richards?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 2, 2009 02:22

Give me a break.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 2, 2009 02:29

Very talented singer,songwriter,guitar & piano player.

Would love to hear what he played w/ the Stones from their Amesterdamn show back in the 70's. I have only seen the b&w photo of him at the piano.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 2, 2009 03:19

Isn't Stills the one Ronnie mentions in his last book that Keith really dislikes?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 2, 2009 03:52

I was unaware of how good he was until that CSN boxed set came out. I'd only had the one tape "So Far". Then I bought the expanded "Four Way Street"... a few months later I was doing the Nash & Young parts in a CSN&Y tribute band!

Yeah... he had a LOT of good stuff for sure, but I admit... he must have lost touch with what made him go good as so many other oldies acts did. I was such a fan of old mucis in the 90's, but unfortunately so many of my classic rock heroes were putting out albums that ranged from 'forgettable' to downright 'embarrassing'. There were exceptions though (Robert Plant, Neil Young).

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 2, 2009 05:27

kovach
Y
Wasn't he the one who received some charity plaque that was later discovered in the trash can at the same venue?

That would be Kris Kristofferson.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 2, 2009 06:08

hAS SOMETHING happened to his? He seems to slur like he has had a stroke.

Date: March 2, 2009 06:43

slew

he's old, from texas and has/had cancer....maybe that caused it

Date: March 2, 2009 06:46

tatters
keefriffhard4life

No, but if his first solo album (the one Hendrix and Clapton played on) ever gets the "deluxe treatment", I am there.

i saw a 2 cd set that has all three of those albums for about $25, still not worth it? also illegal stills is the only one of those 3 still in print by itself and is about $7 brand new.

anyways i own, stephens tills, stills 2, both mannassas albums, just roll tape and man alive. been meaning to look into his 70's live album as i heard a lot of good things about. the one where half is acustic and half electric and he's wearing a jersey on the cover

Date: March 2, 2009 08:08

keefriffhard4life
slew

I thought he was from Florida.

I think he's got dentures now...he's always had bad teeth (one of the reasons he failed the audition to be a Monkee!)

One thing that pissed off Mr Stills back in the day was when he loaned his stage lighting gear for the Concert for Bangla Desh, and then was not invited to play at the show.

Date: March 2, 2009 08:57

loog droog
keefriffhard4life
slew

I think he's got dentures now...he's always had bad teeth (one of the reasons he failed the audition to be a Monkee!)

One thing that pissed off Mr Stills back in the day was when he loaned his stage lighting gear for the Concert for Bangla Desh, and then was not invited to play at the show.

his bio says he was born in texas. maybe he moved to florida early in his life? i also thought he lived in virginia awhile.

i don't think he has false teeth unless he got some made that look crooked just like his real teeth.

the main thing about the monkees is he was expected to sign over the rights of all songs that were written while he was in the monkees. of course he was never going to agree to that

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 2, 2009 15:18

I understand he has been treated for prostate cancer. It is treatable, but not I think curable. Life expectancy (if caught in time) is much better than 10-20 years ago, but it reamins a serious health condition.
So a "sensible" lifestyle would help.
I place him Number 2 in terms of talent in the CSNY quartet:
1. Young
2. Stills
3. Crosby
4. Nash
But-with the exception of Young - "overated and overhyped" come to mind.
Right place, right time..a few great albums and that's about it.
I think Stlls and Keith may have fallen out over drugs (no suprise there).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 2, 2009 15:20

loog droog
kovach
Y

That would be Kris Kristofferson.

No, kidding??? Man, I'd like to hear more of that story!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 2, 2009 16:19

keefriffhard4life
tatters
keefriffhard4life

i saw a 2 cd set that has all three of those albums for about $25, still not worth it? also illegal stills is the only one of those 3 still in print by itself and is about $7 brand new.

anyways i own, stephens tills, stills 2, both mannassas albums, just roll tape and man alive. been meaning to look into his 70's live album as i heard a lot of good things about. the one where half is acustic and half electric and he's wearing a jersey on the cover

The live album is pretty bad. But I understand Rhino is working on a massive reissue program (Just Roll Tape was just the beginning) of all his solo stuff, including a box set. All his worthwhile solo tracks, including any decent live stuff, will probably find their way onto the box set.

Date: March 3, 2009 06:31

tatters
keefriffhard4life
tatters
keefriffhard4life

The live album is pretty bad. But I understand Rhino is working on a massive reissue program (Just Roll Tape was just the beginning) of all his solo stuff, including a box set. All his worthwhile solo tracks, including any decent live stuff, will probably find their way onto the box set.

yes i knew there is a planned boxset. nash mentioned stills boxset has a tentative late 2010/early 2011 release date and unlike the david crosby or graham nash boxset (i own both and they are fantastic) the stills boxset will probably be 4 discs instead of 3 because he has so much unreleased material.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 3, 2009 20:07

Why has Stills got so much unreleased material?
Did no record company want to take him on? Or wan't it good enough?

Date: March 4, 2009 06:41

jlowe
Why has Stills got so much unreleased material?
Did no record company want to take him on? Or wan't it good enough?

what a retarded thing to say. why does prince or bruce springsteen have so much unreleased material?

from what i can gather from some stills fans is that stephen recorded a couple of extra tracks per album in case the record company wanted a non album single or b-side or didn't like one of the tracks as choose to be on the album.

also he has unreleased stuff with hendrix. are you telling me no record company wanted that? its finally getting released now.

also there is parts of unfinished albums from the early and late 80's and the mid 90's

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 4, 2009 07:08

keefriffhard4life
loog droog
keefriffhard4life
slew

the main thing about the monkees is he was expected to sign over the rights of all songs that were written while he was in the monkees. of course he was never going to agree to that

Stills has said that what he really wanted to do was write songs for the show.
His early song Sit Down, I Think I Love You does (or did) have a Colgems copyright(Colgems being the record label set up for the Monkees). IF you think about it,
that almost sounds like a Monkess tune and would have fitted fine on one of thier records. In fact, Stills was a slim possibility to produce the bands Headquarters album after Don Kirshner had been purged. Peter Tork suggested him.
However, Nesmith had already "chosen" Chip Douglas.

Date: March 4, 2009 08:03

tomk
keefriffhard4life
loog droog
keefriffhard4life
slew

Stills has said that what he really wanted to do was write songs for the show.
His early song Sit Down, I Think I Love You does (or did) have a Colgems copyright(Colgems being the record label set up for the Monkees). IF you think about it,
that almost sounds like a Monkess tune and would have fitted fine on one of thier records. In fact, Stills was a slim possibility to produce the bands Headquarters album after Don Kirshner had been purged. Peter Tork suggested him.
However, Nesmith had already "chosen" Chip Douglas.

i love SIT DOWN I THINK I LOVE YOU

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 5, 2009 01:32

I was not sure if he's had cancer that would explain it. He is underated. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is a masterpiece. I love the version they did for MTV unplugged great stuff!
Sit Down I Think I Love You is a classic. Those 60's pop songs seemed to always have a magical feel to them maybe because it was all new at the time.

Date: March 5, 2009 06:35

slew
I was not sure if he's had cancer that would explain it. He is underated. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is a masterpiece. I love the version they did for MTV unplugged great stuff!
Sit Down I Think I Love You is a classic. Those 60's pop songs seemed to always have a magical feel to them maybe because it was all new at the time.

i believe it was prostate cancer. graham nash talked about it during an interview with larry king i think

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home