Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Stephen stills is really underrated
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 17, 2010 17:11

chrismusic
Would love to know what songs Stills played with the Stones when he sat in on piano with them in Amsterdam back in the late early 70's??

I have only the seen the B&W photo...

any help?

Thanks....

Something from Still(s) Life.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: OT: Stephen stills is really underrated
Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: March 18, 2010 04:23

71Tele
HATE the Dead. When I heard the Dead's stoned-vibe slowed down rendition of Chuck's "Around & Around" I wanted to break things. The whole Dead, Wavy Gravy, Jeff. Airplane, Hot Tuna thing leaves me cold. Everything about it. I don't know, maybe there's a little hippie vibe to some of the Beatles, but I don't identify them with hippies particularly. I also can't stand the whole tye-dyed patchouli incense VW van thing. I wouldn't be comfortable in a heavy metal crowd either. We all like what we like.

I like the Dead, more as icons and out of respect for how and what they did, than I do for their actual music. Quite a bit of it I like, though. I love American Beauty, it's in my all-time top ten, and I like Workingman's Dead too, but they are of course their most accessible albums. After that, it's individual songs here and there, like I Need A Miracle, Alabama Getaway, Hell In A Bucket, to name a few. Even though I don't like a lot of what they did, I really feel that from about 68-80 they were a truly great band.

But, I TOTALLY agree with you on the Around and Around thing. No other band can butcher a rock n roll classic like the Dead. I saw the Grateful Dead Movie on PBS once, and at the end they show them backstage right before the encore, which they decided would be Johnny B. Goode. I was thinking alright, this should be cool. WRONG! They proceeded to do the most piss-poor, mediocre, 3rd-rate bar band version of that song I've ever heard. A complete letdown. They really could screw the pooch at times.

But don't dare tell a Dead fan that, they won't hear of it. Jerry could get onstage and fart for 2 sets and 4 1/2 hours, and they would talk like it was the second coming of Christ.

They just can't admit that the Dead could be very uneven, especially in the later years. And when the drugs wore off, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-18 04:40 by boogie1969.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home