Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick praises current British music
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 17, 2009 02:51

Rolling Stones legend Mick Jagger has heaped praise on his fellow British musicians after they dominated the Grammys a week ago, scooping a combined 16 top gongs.

The Brown Sugar hitmaker - who stormed the American charts in the Sixties - thinks this is one of the best ever times for British music.

He tells British newspaper The Sun, "With British acts doing so well at the Grammys last week it’s proving to be a great period for home-grown talent right now.

"And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognized - Coldplay, Duffy, Adele and Radiohead make up an eclectic bunch, proving there’s a lot of fresh British talent out there.

"I like that these acts have paid their dues in the way we had to. There is certainly an upsurge of diverse Brit acts breaking through in the US and overseas - good to see it. Long may it continue."

[www.showbizspy.com]

Re: Mick praises current British music
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 17, 2009 03:18

"who stormed the American charts in the Sixties"

Ouch. Said in such an inocuous way, it hurts...

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 17, 2009 03:47

From The Sun

Published: 16 Feb 2009

MICK JAGGER knows a bit about British invasions.

The ROLLING STONES stormed the American charts in the Sixties when the term was first coined to describe UK music dominating in the States.

And with the Brit Awards just days away, the rock legend has paid tribute to our triumphant musicians after our domination of the Grammys a week ago, where we scooped 16 top gongs.

Mick thinks this is one of the best EVER times for British music — and he ruled rock for five decades.

He told me: “With British acts doing so well at the Grammys last week it’s proving to be a great period for home-grown talent right now.

“And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognised — COLDPLAY, DUFFY, ADELE and RADIOHEAD make up an eclectic bunch, proving there’s a lot of fresh British talent out there.

“I like that these acts have paid their dues in the way we had to. There is certainly an upsurge of diverse Brit acts breaking through in the US and overseas — good to see it. Long may it continue.”

I’ve got a good feeling about Wednesday’s Brits.

It has come at a perfect time to celebrate a fantastic era in British music.

After our Grammys domination we should be proud of our bands’ success at home and abroad.

And there can be no doubt that we are witnessing the third British invasion of America.

Range

The first wave was led by rock ’n’ roll acts such as THE BEATLES and Mick’s Stones in the Sixties.

The next was the new wave and electro acts such as DURAN DURAN, CULTURE CLUB and PET SHOP BOYS — the Outstanding Contribution winners at this year’s Brits.

But this time our successes are from a wide range of musical genres.

And I can’t wait to toast them all at Wednesday’s bash.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 17, 2009 06:44

Coldplay? Did he actually say that? The rest of those? He actually said those names?

Wow.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 17, 2009 12:18

I wonder what Keith would have to say (if asked) about today's "current" Acts?

"Cold Play- Who? They?"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 17, 2009 12:20

Proof that the old buffer has finally gone deaf. Deaf Con 1.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 17, 2009 12:56

I'd rather hear that from Jagger than his partner in crime grumbling how rubbish everything is when he aint even heard most of it.....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 17, 2009 20:46

ablett
I'd rather hear that from Jagger than his partner in crime grumbling how rubbish everything is when he aint even heard most of it.....

Agreed: some of Jaggers choices may be suspect, but at least he has an opinion. I dount Keith has paid any attention for a long time - probably not since the Stones were last 'current' winking smiley

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 17, 2009 23:21

Mick is very chatty and sociable all of a sudden. BAFTAS last week; Brits this week. The PR machine is revving up!

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 17, 2009 23:29

i like all the acts he mentioned myself. my only concern is that he tries to hard to please everybody these days.he is begging for attention, seems like he has to to still be recognized.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: February 17, 2009 23:43

Mick's "taste's" is always what got the Stones in trouble. Always wants to be 'current" be it musics trends and what he thinks the public wants-- or choice of producers (that is what screwed up B2B so much.)

Wish he'd stick to his instincts.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 17, 2009 23:55

"Mick's "taste's" is always what got the Stones in trouble"
So true... unfortunately!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 18, 2009 00:21

that is so right. If it wasn't for Mick the Stones could have been really big

Date: February 18, 2009 00:23

HAHAHAHAAHH.

You notice the output from, say, 1985? Duh!

Date: February 18, 2009 00:24

Anyone who likes Duran Duran is "iffy" as applies to musical tastes

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 18, 2009 01:23

My thoughts exactly LIVEWITHME!! If only....if only Mick had a clue about music! Such stupidity!! Criticizing a band that he has lead for 45+m years...too bad they failed so miserably!! LOL!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 20, 2009 13:47

ablett

quite right.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 20, 2009 14:30

Quote The Sun "he ruled rock for the past five decades".
Note the past tense.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 20, 2009 14:37

Your quoting the Sun. Never known for its understanding of grammar.....

Date: February 20, 2009 17:24

This is what Mick Jagger supposedly said "With British acts doing so well at the Grammys this year it's proving to be a great period for homegrown talent right now. And what is so refreshing is the different styles that have been recognized - Coldplay, Duffy, Adele and Radiohead make up an eclectic bunch, proving there's a lot of fresh British talent out there."

And acording to my fellow "iorr posters", this somehow implies that Mick Jagger is "DEAF", has "iffy" "musical tastes" and is "begging for attention" and overall responsible for bringing one of the most successful bands to its nadir...WOW!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-20 19:39 by wanderingspirit66.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 20, 2009 18:50

Doubt Mick said any of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home