Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: OT, U2 2009 Tour starts in Barcelona!!
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 29, 2009 21:45

Bongo will NEVER be able to command that stage

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 29, 2009 23:11

JordiStones
There is a secret gig today. I don't know where. I'm trying to get a tix... will see.

[soy.bluebbva.com]

The gig you refer to is supposedly a dress rehearsal performance at the stadium in Barcelona before 500 invited guests.

In 2005, they did the same thing at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, 2 days before the official start of the tour. They had about 500 contest winners and guests form around the US in attendance. For the 150 or people outside, inlcuding me, they ended up letting us all in to watch the entire show for free.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 30, 2009 00:01

melillo
yeah too bad u2 cant come up with albums like emotional rescue or dirty work, now them there is something to be proud of now isnt it?

Gotta be the silliest post ever on iorr. Even Emotional Rescue and Dirty Work had songs better than the utter crap U2 has pumped out on their last few albums but gladly The Stones reached much higher levels than U2 over the years. The Stones probably have four or five all time great rock songs for every one U2 has.

But if you like them so much jump up on stage and do a duet with Bono for all I care.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 00:12 by FrankM.

Date: June 30, 2009 00:01

The big stage fits Bono's big yap lol.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 30, 2009 00:58

and you called my post silly?LOL

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 30, 2009 03:16

I wondered where FrankM's bizarre humour went. Now I know.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 30, 2009 03:30

frank m is not a true stones fan if he cant be honest with himself and admit ER and DW are not very good work from the stones, i am a diehard stones fan that can be honest with myself, try it out frank you may like it

duck geese!!!!!!!!! duck geese??????????

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: June 30, 2009 03:32

Halup
JordiStones
There is a secret gig today. I don't know where. I'm trying to get a tix... will see.

[soy.bluebbva.com]

The gig you refer to is supposedly a dress rehearsal performance at the stadium in Barcelona before 500 invited guests.

In 2005, they did the same thing at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, 2 days before the official start of the tour. They had about 500 contest winners and guests form around the US in attendance. For the 150 or people outside, inlcuding me, they ended up letting us all in to watch the entire show for free.

Finally I couldn't go but a friend of mine (lucky guy) went and he told me as you say it was a reharsal for roughly 500 people. He said it was a great show and they contacted space station,astronauts.

Date: June 30, 2009 03:51

I look forward to seeing what I can of this show. Without at doubt U2's 360 tour will be better than, I dunno, Dirty Work or Emotional Rescue...

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: June 30, 2009 06:28

Tomorrow they start the F U C K I N G tour!! AMAZING!!!!!
ROCKNROLL WILL NEVER DIE MAN!!!!!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 30, 2009 06:57

skipstone
I look forward to seeing what I can of this show. Without at doubt U2's 360 tour will be better than, I dunno, Dirty Work or Emotional Rescue...

Right On!

And yes Mexicostones it's going to Rock!

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: June 30, 2009 14:59

Yeah i am going to rock man!!!
I have Double judas priest on july , sabbath on august , then acdc , then u2 get on the road , (amazing)shit happens man!! I can just live the 70s and 80s , theyre flying on the air!!!!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 30, 2009 17:20

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: June 30, 2009 20:09

melillo
frank m is not a true stones fan if he cant be honest with himself and admit ER and DW are not very good work from the stones, i am a diehard stones fan that can be honest with myself, try it out frank you may like it

I never said they were good albums melillo but even the bad albums from The Stones have a few songs better than songs from U2's last few albums. Songs like "Vertigo" and "Get On Your Boots" are as far away from "With Or Without You" as I am from getting laid by Cameron Diaz. Just my opinion. You bought up DW and ER as a reply to me poking fun at U2 songs. Are DW and ER representative of the Stones in general? It's their two worst albums. It's like judging Al Pacino or Robert Deniro from their two worst perfomances and forgetting movies like The Godfather and other great movies.

Go see them and enjoy the show if you want but take my advice. Bring an ipod loaded with Stones songs so you will have something good to listen to when Bono starts preaching to the crowd lol.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: June 30, 2009 21:49

Frank - you left out Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:58

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 00:16

It sure sounds pretty bad and boring, but I hope everyone there had a good time anyway.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2009 01:31

I think MKjan sums up things here pretty smartly...
U2 are just a male version of Madonna : all flash, no weight, gigantic tours designed to make a "spectacular" DVD capture (yawn).
And to quote Iggy Pop "where is the music?"

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 01:41

Yes dcba, just a beany cap and Paris Hilton sunglasses. I think this band is all wrong, no rock, no roll, but so much hype....the power of advertising and marketing is defined here.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 1, 2009 13:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 13:32 by Massimo68.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 1, 2009 15:30

According to fan reviews at U2Tours.com, the show stank.

Blaming it on opening night. Since I'm going to a couple of gigs I do hope the setlist changes a little bit, it seems a bit boring and I'm starting to regret having some tix in my desk drawer.

I'll see good old Mick Taylor tomorrow though.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: July 3, 2009 00:45

phd
Why bother about this music landslide. In Paris, they will sell out the 2 shows in 50 minutes or less. Maybe they are the greatest act on earth currently. But
wait...Mick is thinking about 720 ° show.

Actually,Springsteen and The E street Band are currently greatest act on earth .
Hands down.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 3, 2009 01:28

Back from Barcelona today, I saw the Opening Concert last June 30th.
First of all I am not a big fan of U2, I am really love rock and roll that´s all.
It was the first concert, and there´re lots of things they need to improve of course, but the show was impressive and great!!!
Give me some time and I´ll post pictures and my personal review, I liked the show, Jackson, NASA moment connection, Desmond Tutu and Aung San Suu Kyi moments, Bono laser jacket, The incredible stage, Michael Jackson moments and they played seven new songs of the new album.
In my opinion the opening song for the concert, breathe wasn´t appropiate, Get on your boots or Vertigo would be better ones.
At the end of the concert, for me was a great surprise, at the sonf Ultraviolet, Bono lost his voice because in my opinion never stopped of singing.
Remind me Bono to Springsteen, but in the other way, Springsteen never loss his voice, this time Bono had really bad problems starting that song, never say that in a big band, really weird in my opinion.
The end of the concert was weird, after MLK the rythm was falling down, walk on, where the streets have no name, one, they began two times the song, ultraviolet, with or without you and moment of surrender great song, but not a final song for a concert. In these final time, Bono had a hanging microphone which he can hang to it and jump, etc, he never connected with the audience.
Best moment for me with I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight, Larry Mullen started to play a little drums around the stage and the Claw and the stadium looked like a discoteque, The Unforgettable Fire, Magnificent, Angel of Harlem, adn Vertigo.
I am honestly was impressed by the concert, knowing was the first one of the tour, as I said they are going to improve all of that, and they know it. Bono is a great perfomer, charming and amazing!! The band sounds incredible, the whole stage is amazing, the set list was ok, not great, the audience more than 100.000 people amazing!!
Comparing to the Stones? Being objetive, I liked more Stones, but U2, Springseen, AC/DC and for sure others are very self confidents, go STONES!!!
More pics and my personal review tomorrow, I hope,
JordiStones is today at the second show, he´ll tell us and Llargueras of course have to say something, verdad?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: July 3, 2009 01:29

Another thing, I liked the Snow patrol as warming band

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: July 4, 2009 15:21

My concert review in Spanish , for those Spanish speakers,

Carlitos
Tenerife

U2, The Claw aterriza por fin en Barcelona, Magnificent! U2 360º Tour 2009
Camp Nou, Barcelona, Martes 30 de Junio de 2009
Carlos Pérez Báez.
Como diría Wyoming, “ya conocen las noticias, ahora les contaremos la verdad”,... Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, liftoff, this is Ground Control to Major Tom...!!!, Space Oddity de Bowie o el Rocket Man de Elton John, no dejaban de sonar ántes y después del concierto el pasado Martes en el fastuoso Camp Nou, repleto con más de 110.000 creyentes. The Claw, la nave espacial de los irlandeses U2, aterrizaba en Barcelona, esas dos canciones históricas hacían presagiar lo que se nos venía encima, buena combinación de rock, psicodélia, y folk. No line on the horizon, su disco de presentación para ésta gira U2 360º World Tour, es un disco que se acerca bastante al All that you can´t leave behind,y me atrevo a decir más acorde con el espíritu de Achtung Baby y muchísimo mejor que los anteriores, How to dismantle an atomic bomb, Pop y Zooropa, álbum variopinto que sacrifica uniformidad con el fin de traer a los oídos algo desconocido y a momentos sorprendente, éste U2 seguramente no le gustará a muchos de sus seguidores y se acercará más a la crítica. ¡Que bien! estuvieron cerca de perderse en una multitud de fanáticos flojos y complacientes, o sea que estamos hablamos de un álbum que dará que hablar y será un referente en cuanto a nuevos sonidos con el paso del tiempo. Uno de los rasgos característicos de U2, es el haber creado un sonido único, reconocible casi al instante por cualquiera de nostros, Bono, cantante, The Edge, guitarra, teclado y vocalísta, Adam Clayton, bajo, y Larry Mullen Jr., batería y percusión, ellos han evolucionado con la música y nosotros con ellos, muchas veces adelantándose a las tendencias del momento y otras veces creándolas, la utilización del E-Bow en las guitarras, reverberación del sonido, repetición del delay de modulación digital con el shimmer sound han creado escuela, en el nuevo disco se vuelve a contar con el ex-Roxy Music, Brian Eno y con ingeniero de sonido canadiense Daniel Lanois, después de desechar todo el material escrito con el productor Rick Rubin, ahora el sonido es más experimental, letras retorcidas, intimista, Bono en estado puro, The Edge hechizante, y tanto Adam como Larry están soberbios.Ya hace unos años que Bono & Co., se preguntaban si no sería posible hacer un concierto en el que los asistentes pudieran contemplar desde todos los ángulos, un escenario prácticamente circular, así se gestaba The Claw, la garra, (diseñada por el afamado Mark Fisher, que colabora con ellos desde 1992, recordemos que él lleva haciendo escenarios con los Rolling Stones desde 1989 y entre sus obras destacan el escenario The Wall, con Pick Floyd, la última gira de AC/DC, Black Ice Tour, Cirque du Soleil, entre otros,) esa especie de nave espacial, inspirada por Gaudí y la Sagrada Familia, cuatro patas de color pistacho y naranja, que consigue la cercanía de la banda con el público en unos 360 grados, además en su parte interior hay una pantalla gigante compuesta por más de medio millón de leds, ascendiendo y descendiendo la misma, bajo el gigantesco monstruo, el escenario es propiamente circular, lo único que gira es la plataforma de Larry Mullen Jr. El volumen era ensordecedor y abrumador, la música se metía por los poros del pellejo, sonaba tan fuerte, compacto y limpio que incluso las cervezas se nos desintegraban en polvo de átomos. Con éstas dos premisas de la nueva Gira 360 grados, escenario y sonido, U2 quieren romper, y rompen, la arquitectura, los efectos especiales, la tecnología utilizada, circo tecnológico, no olvidando que pese al mensaje solidario y pese a su afán por petar todo lo que se les ponga por delante, son “casi” los reyes del espectáculo, con permiso de los Stones, Springsteen y AC/DC. La culpa la tiene Jacko, claro, yo planeaba pasar mis tres noches en Barcelona entre U2, Ry Cooder & Nick Lowe y sus conciertos, pero este nuevo escenario al que estamos acostumbrándonos ( un mundo sin Michael Jackson, algo que a los que empezamos a tener conciencia de la realidad a principios de los ochenta nunca hemos conocido) ha resultado un enorme toque de atención: los iconos musicales pueden ser tan grandes como las montañas pero, a diferencia de éstas, no van a estar ahí para siempre. Al entrar al impresionante Nou Camp, “creyentes de todas partes del mundo se daban cita, era como revivir Alien o incluso aquellas naves espaciales de Spielberg con ese escenario, más de 30 grados en la noche “Ciutat Condal”, eran las 7 y algo de la tarde, las distancias engañan y acercarse al escenario lleva un buen rato, pero no es misión imposible porque, atención amigos, los catalanes y gentes del mundo respetan los senderos para el tránsito y sólo ocupan las partes de hierba y plástico, a las 8 de la tarde salen los irlandeses Snow Patrol, hicieron su “papel” que no era otro que calentar el ambiente, y lo consiguieron sobradamente. Eran casi las 10 de la noche, el calor continuaba, hay ya más de 100.000 personas en el estadi, suenan los acordes de Bowie, Space Oddity, las luces se apagan, el estruendo de la gente es ensordecedor, suena el intro de lo que será lo nuevo de U2, songs of ascent, sonido arábico, Eno total, Sing yourself right down the street, Sing yourself right off your feet,Sing yourself away from victory and of defeat...¡una maravilla!, ¡¡¡Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one!!, ¡aterriza la nave, aparece el primer astronauta Larry Mullen Jr.! Potente comienzo de las dos horas y veinte minutos que nos esperaban, siguen apareciendo los demás astronautas, Adam Clayton a la derecha, The Edge por la izquierda y Bono, suena Breathe, Bono totalmente de negro saluda a la parroquia con fiereza y sin rodeos atacan con ésta canción del último trabajo, el sonido llegaba perfectamente, y el estadio ya se pondría en pie durante todo el concierto, dicen que es el corte más U2 del disco,yo creo que es el corte más U2-Eno-Lanois, Bono se deja llevar por el espíritu de Springsteen y toma un nuevo carácter para entregar una canción que mezcla una fuerte instrumentación con coros más folk. Bono comienza a alardear a los feligreses con ¡Barcelona, Barcelona! y a decir que Barcelona era la capital mundial del surrealismo, y que Gaudí era el responsable del monstruoso stage, que hacía pequeño ya al Camp Nou, le siguen las pegadizas No line on the horizon y Get on your Boots, que juega con el Punk y la psicodelia, me gusta mucho el sonido austero, eléctrico, old-school de la voz, cajas de ritmo o samplers en acción, a partir de aqui la comunión astronautas-creyentes empieza in-crescendo, llega el momento Magnificent, evoca tiempos pasados con los riffs de entremezclado con el Fez-Being Born, el bajo característico de Clayton y los sonidos cristianos y militares de la batería de Mullen, sencillamente descomunal canción, el escenario despegaba y echaba luces y fuego por sus 360 grados, la banda giraba y corría por todos lados, only love, only love magnificent!!!. Bono se desgañitaba gritando que nosotros hemos hecho posible “el sueño de U2”, mil gracias seguía dando Bono. Después de interpretar cuatro nuevos temas de su nuevo disco, pocas veces unos monstruos de la música hacen esto, abren fuego con Beautiful Day, un clásico ya que no perderá vigencia, Bono a modo de boxeador inmigrante comienza a noquearnos, entre verso y verso, canta a Barcelona, habla de ella, no podían sino empezar la gira en ésta maravillosa ciudad, retofuturísmo, futurismo, ¿quien da más? The Edge se daba “gusto” y volvía al pasado con su propio estilo original e innovador, combinando acordes parciales, con drones, harmónicos y otra serie de texturas esparcidas pero musicalmente muy ricas, gran precisión rítmica, asombrosa utilización de efectos y gran arquitectura de sonido. Bono, una y otra vez no dejaba de dar las gracias a los que allí estábamos por haber adquirido las entradas en tiempos tan difíciles, ¡mil gracias, España, Barcelona!. El público no paraba de cantar y saltar, See the world in green and blue, See Barcelona right in front of you, España is the emotion...Bono noqueaba una vez más a los creyentes con sus alusiones a la ciudad y al país, el delirio era indescriptible, Bono se enfunda la bandera tricolor irlandesa, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, retumbaba el estadio, el público, los riffs y Bono eran un solo, la complicidad era total, en medio de un festival de amarillos, rojos y verdes en la pantalla cilíndrica que proyecta varios Bonos simultáneamente mientras The Edge se desplaza por los puentes que unen el escenario con una estratégica pasarela satélite. Llega el deliro con Angel of Harlem, canción compuesta para Billie Holiday, pero que en ésta ocasión el homenajeado era Michael Jackson, falsetes, guitarras afiladas, que acabó con un remix de Man in the Mirror, y un excelente falsete con Don´t stop till get enough, éxito de los años mozos del fallecido Jackson, Bono dijo que el norteamericano era un “unspeakable talent”, llega el blues-soul maravilloso de In a little while, para proceder a la otra sorpresa de la noche, U2 nos sorprende a todos conectándose en directo con la tripulación de la Estación Espacial Internacional, ¡impresionante! Toque galáctico-solidario de la noche, hablaron de reciclaje, de concienciar a las masas y del ¡basta ya!, para concluir con la frase “El Futuro necesita un gran Beso”, suenan los acordes de Unknown Caller, la pantalla central a modo de karaoke, subtitula la letra de la canción y la gente ruge, otra canción maravillosa del último trabajo, memorable momento, guitarra reverberante de Edge arrebata la atención, también el que busca detonar los “Oh-oh-oh-oooohs” en los conciertos, es la que más se apoya en instrumentación, la voz y letra se encuentran dispersas en un espacio más amplio y se convierten en una cuestión accidental.. El éxtasis llega ya con The Unforgettable Fire , la pantalla led, comienza a mostrarnos su potencial, luces, subiendo, bajando, extendiéndose, increíbles grafismos, ¡maravilloso! Se me ponen los pelos de punta pensarlo, City of Blinding Lights, hacía eso cegarnos con aquel portentoso montaje del escenario y sus luces, el estadio se viene abajo con Vertigo y I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight, tema también del último álbum, de nuevo despliegue monumental de grafismo y efectos especiales, el Camp Nou se convertía una discoteca, ¡que locura, escandaloso!, Larry con unos bongos, toda la banda por el escenario a modo de banda New Orleáns, ¡discoteque total, impresionante!, sin resuello, de nuevo redobles militares de Sunday Bloody Sunday, y Pride(In the name of Love),Bono coloca una bandera de Martín Luther King frente a la batería, los ¡eo, eo, eo, la ola, aquello se venía abajo Dios Mío!, la pantalla central volvía a su sitio, la audiencia estaba tan desatada con la música como con los panegíricos alter mundistas, bien escanciados entre canción y canción. Otra delicia del The Unforgettable fire, MLK, se van por un momento los irlandeses del escenario y la pantalla gigante nos muestra al Nobel Desmond Tutu, alertando sobre la extensión del SIDA en África y recordó que quienes lucharon contra el apartheid son los mismos que han luchado contra el terrorismo en Irlanda o que batallan ahora por la libertad en Birmania, con Walk On/You´ll never walk alone se homenajea a Aung San Suu Kyi, opositora Birmana contra la dictadura militar que ocupa el poder desde 1962 y que se encuentra con arresto domiciliario desde 1989, personas circulando por el escenario con caretas del rostro de Aung reivindicaban su libertad, abandonan de nuevo el escenario para comenzar con los encores de Where the streets have no name y One, en la que elogió al FC Barcelona por llevar las palabras de UNICEF, por ser el único equipo en el mundo en hacer esa publicidad sin retribuciones, agradeció también a Guardiola por sus contribuciones enfundándose la camiseta del equipo blaugrana con el nombre de Bono a la espalda y el número uno. La parada con Desmond Tutu, y las siguientes canciones fueron un punto de inflexión negativo, el ritmo descendió un poco, en One, Bono tuvo que empezar por dos veces la canción, con Ultraviolet mágica canción nos trae a Bono con una chaqueta repleta de láser rojos, ¡inolvidable! y un micrófono colgante en el que se cuelga de un lado a otro, el esfuerzo se deja notar y por un instante Bono cae afónico, ataques The Edge con sus solos, se diría que está en un trance salvaje ¡baby, baby, baby baby, like I do!, With Or Without You, el pico de The Claw enfurece y se enciende con rabia, la nave tiene que despegar, “Beautiful song, great gift of song from God, and it will better for us, to sing, Ohhh, Ohhh, ohhhh, terminan con la abrumadora despedida Moment of Surrender”, tenemos que rendirnos ante ésta hermosa canción de su último disco, The Edge combina guitarra y piano amor, la contradicción, siempre Dios, el sexo, la pobreza, la autocrítica, dos mundos, ¡Buenas noches Barcelona, Buena Noches España! Últimas palabras de Bono, clímax total, subidón total. El concierto lleno de detalles mesiánicos que dividen a la población mundial en dos bandos, una banda de megalómanos y felices que nos hicieron vibrar a los 110.000 terrícolas, y eso que no era fan incondicional de ellos, confirmaron su imparable transformación de U2 a U-Dioses.

Carlos Pérez Báez

Date: July 4, 2009 15:23

Pictures later,
Carlitos

Date: July 4, 2009 15:38

That stage is just too much. I know stadium rock has become it;s own animal, but this is...I don;t know what it is.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 4, 2009 15:38

.....check out the quality of this video/audio from a concert goer.....the world is changing.....

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:14

Wow, Carlos, great review! Tu eres periodísta y lo escribiste para un periódico o algo?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:37

Rip This
.....check out the quality of this video/audio from a concert goer.....the world is changing.....

WOW, that is some serieusly good quality! I wonder what camera he used?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home