Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: OT, U2 2009 Tour starts in Barcelona!!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2009 14:17

Kurt
These pictures are awesome! Thanks for posting them.

As far as "stadium rock" goes, I believe that The Stones invented it. Why would any of you criticize the presentation of this new U2 Tour? It is fine if you don't care for their music, but please...this is a stage that could easily be on tour with "OUR" band.

I, for one, wish this WAS a Stones' stage! Can you imagine the Superbowl Tongue stage underneath "the Claw"? I can. It would absolutely rule!

Rock on!

I'd @#$%& hate it, personally.

When the spectacle is far more important than the substance, then you're no longer talking about a rock n roll band.

I personally cant get this obsession so many Stones fans have with outdoing U2 (or other acts) in terms of scale, tour grosses, ticket sales, extravagant staging, etc.

Its of absolutely no relevance whatsoever other than as a form of juvenile 'my dick is bigger than yours' obsession for the terminally insecure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 14:18 by Gazza.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 7, 2009 14:41

Well, the Stones themselves havenĀ“t exactly avoided that competition...

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: July 7, 2009 14:41

I don't like all the political pictures on the screens

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 7, 2009 16:19

Gazza,

I appreciate your opinion, but honestly, when you write...

"I personally cant get this obsession so many Stones fans have with outdoing U2 (or other acts) in terms of scale, tour grosses, ticket sales, extravagant staging, etc."

I don't think that it is the "fans' obsession" anymore. I truly believe that the Stones themselves started this whole competition. We, as fans, are just the paying spectators in this ongoing series of "World Championship Events!"

I don't mind being along for the ride. In a perfect world, I would love to see Mick and Keith sharing a microphone dueting on "Happy" in a club of 900 people, but I know that is just a dream. I can still wish for that scenario being played out for 50,000 people under a hulking, space-age, fire-breathing, rotating, pulsating beast of a stage!

Does that make any sense?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 7, 2009 18:18

Yes...and (for your benefit and Svartmer's) I'm not absolving the Stones from this nonsense in any way. They're probably more culpable than anyone for turning rock n roll into the overblown corporate circus that it's become.

It just baffles me why so many people - who have enough good musical taste to appreciate the Stones to begin with - cant see through this and look on this overblown silliness as something of value or see it as equally important to the music.

A stage is a few lumps of metal, for f*cks sake. It doesnt make the music any better.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 7, 2009 18:41

Well...to the U2 stage...or any other stage... It is really amazing how much fans love to discuss the stages and that is a part of the problem. I too, just like many others here (I hope) don't care much about the stage design. At each concert I try to get as close to the stage as possible and to enjoy the music, to see the band and to enjoy the event. I think that big screens are really good for stadiums, since not all people are crazy like me and they might prefer to sit. That is okay. But that's it. Everything else is more or less disturbing. If the fans didn't discuss and get so excited about different stage designs maybe there wouldn't be so much attention payed to the fact that each new tour of the Stones, U2 or whoever must have the biggest and the most original stage. Everytime tour like this starts, you get tons of pictures of the stage being built and fans are getting crazy, both loving and hating it. It really is a pitty.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 00:28

SC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 02:07 by straycat58.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 9, 2009 01:16

Bono's ego is too big for him to just be in a band, but straycat58, I think more and more people are losing respect for his style. Even in Africa, there was a group that asked him to stay away, saying, "please, no more." There was an editorial in the New York Times a while ago that firmly stated that his ego stepping was completely
useless, and he was actually misleading people. Shows how small minded one can be with an out of control ego. Go on down to Navigli and knock a few drinks back.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home