Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

tumblin dice poster original
Posted by: missmichelle ()
Date: February 12, 2009 01:14

I have a winterland poster and believe it to be an original. There is a white line on the entire left side of the upper die. It is not in great condition though. Where can I find out what it is worth and sell it?

Re: tumblin dice poster original
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 12, 2009 01:16

Can you post an image of it. The white line should follow the top die from top to bottom and include the right angle of the die shape.

Depends on condition, for full value. Compare to mine, to make sure its original.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-12 01:30 by stone-relics.

Posted by: diane d ()
Date: February 12, 2009 01:32

here's a link.

if the link doesn't work, go to fillmoreposter.com. the poster is under bill graham and is BG-289.

Date: February 12, 2009 01:33

maybe this will work.

tumblin dice poster

Date: February 12, 2009 01:43

Diane d,

All the ones on the link you provided are reprints. Check the poster in my previous post. Its the first. Although the reprints were mostly done in 1972 as well. Bill Graham was PO'd about the original misprint, and made them do it over. Not sure how many were printed later on. Matthew Lee likely knows.

JR

Date: February 12, 2009 01:57

It definitely has the same white line. Exactly. It is not in good condition at all. I have googled everything I can think of and still can't find a value. I don't seem to be able to post a photo here. So, what can I do? I would love to sell it.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: February 12, 2009 02:02

Value totally depends on condition. Not in good condition at all sounds like a $200 to $300 example. The 2nd/3rd prints are available for that so it would sell to someone who is not condition fussy but wants an original. A really nice original can sell for $1,500 but they are available in the $750 to $1,000 range.

Date: February 12, 2009 02:08

stone-relics
Diane d,

All the ones on the link you provided are reprints. Check the poster in my previous post. Its the first. Although the reprints were mostly done in 1972 as well. Bill Graham was PO'd about the original misprint, and made them do it over. Not sure how many were printed later on. Matthew Lee likely knows.

JR

i don't imagine there are many original posters out there. wolfgang's vault has some, and they auction them on e-bay. i was just giving the link for information purposes on how to tell the difference between the original printing and the reprints and note that a NM uncut proof sheet of the original is selling for $750. the site also gives an idea of grading standards and they buy posters.

Date: February 12, 2009 02:12

Thanks, Matt...My, arent we up late.

JR

Date: February 12, 2009 02:35

diane d, the link you posted with the uncut proof for $750 is not a first (original) printing. As per the poster JR posted above the 1st printing has a white line around the top of the dice. Wolfgangs vault have had 1st printings in the past but they sell them at the top of my $1,500 range. They sell the 2nd printing for $350 which is commonly available at no more than $200. They do indeed buy posters but they themselves admit they pay cents in the dollar. If you have quality stuff to sell I suggest you ask me first!

Date: February 12, 2009 02:54

I don't mean to sound pushy, but can I email any of you directly with an attachment of the poster?

Date: February 12, 2009 04:31

mattleeuk
diane d, the link you posted with the uncut proof for $750 is not a first (original) printing. As per the poster JR posted above the 1st printing has a white line around the top of the dice. Wolfgangs vault have had 1st printings in the past but they sell them at the top of my $1,500 range. They sell the 2nd printing for $350 which is commonly available at no more than $200. They do indeed buy posters but they themselves admit they pay cents in the dollar. If you have quality stuff to sell I suggest you ask me first!

the picture of the poster isn't a picture of an actual poster for sale and i didn't mean to imply that. in fact, if you look at the grading standards page, the site owner says that the photos are stock photos, not of the actual items for sale.

i wouldn't sell any of my posters to them for the reason you pointed out, but then i have a lot of resources. it all depends on how much time and energy someone is willing to devote to researching, then finding a buyer or putting it up on e-bay. i think missmichelle made the right decision by asking here first.

i, too, think WV is overpriced.

Date: February 12, 2009 11:27

diane d, I now see the one pictured is only a stock photo, sorry! Very lazy if they have the original to sell not to photo it and show the difference.

WV isn't universally overpriced but some prices are outrageous and that gives them a high price perception. There are some great value posters in fabulous condition that often get more on eBay from private sellers. You can't complain at a mint original Candlestick park poster for $139 for example, a great deal. A knackered one raised around $250 at a regional auction house a few months back for example.

On the other hand their Knebworth posters (which I believe came from me via a collector/dealer they bought out) at $3,850 at beyond daft. This is a $250 poster now (absolute tops). It used to be a $750 poster but I cracked a stash and blew out nearly 100 of them. I still have a few left and would be happy to sell them at $150.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:20

It's time for Bjornulf to add a 'memorabilia' chapter to his home page..these questions concerning posters etc. come up over & over again...although there are some expert fans on this website on such matters, most of these questions about value & authenticity can be answered by searching a couple of websites...if you own a concert poster from ANY artist, check "Wolfgang's Vault".."Fillmore Posters.com" & "SF Rock Posters.com"...ESPECIALLY if the poster is from the SF or the USA...forget eBay & other such sites for important info...use these sites as a guide...Matt is a collector & knows his stuff...but you can find out the 'fair' price on your own...find the lowest & highest price quoted on the sites I mentioned & go from there...better yet...visit San Francisco & bring cash to obtain the best deal....peter

Date: February 13, 2009 15:20

Peter,

The problem with the sites you mention is they deal mostly in SF and stuff and there are so many more poster delights out there. It is also very difficult to determine a posters "value" from an advertised price. If you check all 3 sites only 1 has a Knebworth poster and it is listed at $3,850. Actual prices achieved can be lower or higher, in the case of a Knebworth poster I sell original ones for $150 (if I could get $3,850 each for them I would be a millionaire!). I have traded or sold over 100 original ones but have probably only have 4 or 5 left :-(

If you know how to tell a real poster from a reprint you will always be able to find a bargin if you are prepared to spend hours and hours searching for it. So there are always exceptions.

I base my price recommendations based on actual purchase and sale prices. Last year for example I handled 5 Cardiff and Pembroke Castle posters, 3 Kiwi 1973 posters, 1 Japan 1973 poster, 2 Beggars Banquet posters, 3 Exile posters and 3 Tumbin Dice posters etc...etc.... Therefore I am quoting real prices paid and with the exception of the Dice poster I don't believe any of the sites listed above have had any of the posters I mention in the last 5 years let alone this last year. They deal in all artists, I just collect Stones / Faces / Birds.

What is a "fair" price is very hard to determine. In this market it is important to value the expertise or you can spend $1,000's on a reprint worth $10. I have a great deal of passion for this stuff so I am always happy to advise and people can chose to either take or ignore the advice.

Many thanks,
Matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home