Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How well do you know the Stones albums?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:49

I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know "Exile On Main Street" too well...I was listening to it and although I know all the songs on there...I had trouble guessing what song was next...or sometimes even what song was playing! Terrible, I know.

In actuality, it's the one album I don't know that closely compared to others like "Some Girls" or "Sticky Fingers" where I can probably recite the track sequence by heart.

How good are you guys? Can you name all the songs off each album....the song order?

Re: How well do you know the Stones albums?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:51

i wouldn't say i know them in the biblical sense (well, maybe sticky fingers)...but....

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 25, 2009 03:54

I don't know the sequence of between te buttons, their satanic majesty request. otional rescue and Undercover. I can't even remember if i listened to those albums from begnning to the end. It took me a long time before I listened to Tattoo You from begin to end but fortunately i did. All the others i know basicly by heart.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 25, 2009 04:10

It may be OCD, but I pretty much know everything from Beggars to Voodoo Lounge in the intimate way you describe.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: January 25, 2009 05:24

Justin
How good are you guys? Can you name all the songs off each album....the song order?

of course. come on that ain't that challenging.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 25, 2009 06:53

While in most cases I can recite the track order from memory -- certainly up until Steel Wheels. More to the point for me is that when a song ends I naturally go into the first few notes of the next one -- whether I can name the song or not.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 25, 2009 09:22

I used to be able to with Led Zeppelin and Cream, but their catalogs are much smaller...and the American Beatle releases thru Sgt Pepper...but at a certain age, one must choose what he wants to remember.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 25, 2009 10:53

I don't study the Stones. Sometimes I don't even know what stones's song is on what record let alone in what sequence.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 25, 2009 12:28

Know the Stones albums?...

Can recite all the bar-codes up ta Bridges To Babylon...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: January 25, 2009 12:55

"What album is it from, Bill? He doesn't know, he doesn't know... Beggars Banquet someone said." Mick Jagger, Flashpoint.

"We're gonna do a song for you... we've never played this song onstage before... I don't remember which CD this is from, but it's called Sway." Mick Jagger, Columbus, 2005.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: January 25, 2009 12:58

I'm thinking about that now and then. Sometimes I'm doing it as a memory excersise and it's quite fun.The problem is with all the pre-Satanic majesties albums and their different track listings. You know, the Decca / London thing. Well I got in touch with Stones music through LPs and that was up to 'Voodoo Lounge'. From then on I only have Cds. So it was much easier for me to remember album tracks refering to 'Side 1' and 'Side 2'. It doesn't work the same with cds.Interesting topic.

Date: January 25, 2009 14:09

I meet them occasionally on social basis.

Date: January 25, 2009 14:24

Should be a basic requirement to post here; to know every track in sequence from "Hitmakers" through ABB.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 25, 2009 15:17

Well, for Exile, I can probably list the songs in order, with track times, and most of the credits from the inner sleeves.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2009 16:27

"GyyO" in reverse.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 25, 2009 16:35

I know perfectly most of them, except for 80s and some early stuff. I listen to the Stones mostly using iTunes so I stare at the song listings half an hour a day so it's pretty automatic ;-)

> "We're gonna do a song for you... we've never played this song onstage before... I don't remember which CD this is from, but it's called Sway." Mick Jagger, Columbus, 2005.

thanks! grinning smiley made my day.
I think it's Charlie who said he never listen to the Stones albums?

Then you did Between the Buttons. What do you think of that album?

Frank Zappa used to say he really liked it. It's a good record, but it was unfortunately rather spoiled. We recorded it in London on four-track machines. We bounced it back to do overdubs so many times, we lost the sound of a lot of it.

Does that record mean a lot to you?

No. What's on it?

"Connection."

It's nice. "Connection" is really nice.

"Yesterday's Papers."

Yeah, the first song I ever wrote completely on my own for a Rolling Stones record. "My Obsession," that's a good one. They sounded so great, but then, later on, I was really disappointed with it. Isn't "Ruby Tuesday" on there or something? I don't think the rest of the songs are that brilliant. "Ruby Tuesday" is good. I think that's a wonderful song.

Why?

It's just a nice melody, really. And a lovely lyric. Neither of which I wrote, but I always enjoy singing it. But I agree with you about the rest of the songs — I don't think they're there. I don't think I thought they were very good at the time, either.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 25, 2009 17:00

Harm
I don't study the Stones. Sometimes I don't even know what stones's song is on what record let alone in what sequence.

It's not a matter of studying for me. It's a matter of an involuntary self-programming by listening to the damn things so much over the decades!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 25, 2009 17:58

Pretty good up to Tattoo You.....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 26, 2009 00:31

Palace Revolution 2000
Should be a basic requirement to post here; to know every track in sequence from "Hitmakers" through ABB.

Joke of the day,palace

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 26, 2009 01:18

Palace Revolution 2000

i have trouble remembering my password every time i log on here

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 26, 2009 03:04

Justin
I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know "Exile On Main Street" too well...I was listening to it and although I know all the songs on there...I had trouble guessing what song was next...or sometimes even what song was playing! Terrible, I know.

there's really no excuse for this. You need to start listning to Exile at least one per day for the next two weeks.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:30

Shows you how good Sticky Fingers is in the mind of the band - not even worthy of remembering what songs are on it. Mick can remember a show when he said Throw me your shoes and so...but he can't remember what album a song is on. In 1994 he said This one is from Black And Blue it's called Duh Duh Doot Doo Doo.

And he had the nerve to put Let's Work on his best of album.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:33

mick likes to goof around - he's just toying with ya when he says stuff like that. charlie, now...that's another story....

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:36

... The Stones have albums?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:36

I always view that bit when Mick doesn't know what album it's on as him trying to make it seem like he doesn't cares THAT much about the Stones history... proving he's not a Stones nerd like us.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 27, 2009 15:43

I struggle with the song names on Exile as well, and I must say that pre-Beggars Banquet, I don't really know what's on which album at all (and even Beggars I'm struggling with at the moment). Those 60's albums - except for Flowers and the US Aftermath are the least played of all.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 27, 2009 16:23

Given the amount of vodka I drink when it is Stones-time, I know them all quite well. Instead what always embarrasses me is that the only lyrics I know by heart from a to z are the ones of Stoned ...

C

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 27, 2009 18:19

It's not important to KNOW the albums. I think listening to them should be higher up.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 27, 2009 19:01

I lost it when Dirty Work came out

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 27, 2009 20:52

I'd be pretty hot up to Tattoo You.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home