Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Very Best Of Mick Jagger!
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 26, 2009 18:13

Went to a rock n blues festival this weekend and just got back, had Jaggers greatest hits on the old festival box and I gotta say what a goddamn cracking album it is. for the last twenty years or so i've always thought of myself as a keef man, rated his solo albums above jaggers efforts.

But, listening to the compilation and it blew me away, was amazed at all the different musical styles, played to perfection man.

God Gave Me Everything
Charmed Life
Sweet Thing
Old Habit's Die Hard
Too Many Cooks
Joy
Checking Up On My Baby
(You Gotta Walk And) Don't Look Back

Absolutely fantastic stuff, got a whole new respect for the man.

'course, it might have something to do with the fact that I've been pretty stoned all weekend.

Rock on brothers and sisters.

Re: The Very Best Of Mick Jagger!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 26, 2009 18:16

Monkeytonkman
'course, it might have something to do with the fact that I've been pretty stoned all weekend.

a disclaimer that should more often be revealed for many posts here....i nod in your general direction for your forthrightness....

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:32

How many CD's did he sell - 50.000?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 26, 2009 19:41

I have yet to get it - and I love Cooks. It just hasn't been a priority. Either issue of it. I certainly wouldn't mind getting it but I would take some tracks off and put some others on.

It still pisses me off that Ruthless People and I'm Ringing aren't on CD anywhere. I thought RP was one of his better solo tunes.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 26, 2009 20:02

I think this album is a disc for those who don't have the solo albums.

Date: January 26, 2009 20:03

billwebster
I think this album is a disc for those who don't have the solo albums.

yeah, but there are just enough extra goodies to make it worthy on its own

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2009 20:06

"Too Many Cooks" was great. That and "Checking Up On My Baby" were the highlights for me. I thought "Charmed Life" was dreadful, although the album version is better than any of the single mixes. Faint praise, I know. As for Mick's sales being disappointing - THE VERY BEST OF outsold the ALFIE soundtrack as well as MAIN OFFENDER and LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM. Success is relative and while I'm much more interested in Keith solo, I'm always happy to hear anything new from either of The Glimmers - together or apart.

Date: January 26, 2009 21:39

The inclusion of Let's Work is still criminal - it not only should have been left off but all copies of PC should have been recalled and edited.

Charmed Life - is that a Dogshit leftover? Sounds like it.

Date: January 26, 2009 21:43

skipstone

sssh! he might be on the board reading this right now. have some manners....

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 26, 2009 21:44

skipstone
The inclusion of Let's Work is still criminal
Do you like Undercover?! I'm sure Let's Work would have been praised as another extravagant single if the Stones had done it.

Date: January 26, 2009 21:50

You think Let's Work would have been praised if it was included on Undercover? What are you smoking - White Widow or Krispy Kreme?

I know there are some questionable songs the Stones have done (of course, all Mick songs) but do not think for one second that something as awful as Let's Work would have made it on a Stones recording session yet alone an album. That is just ridicluss to even imagine.

Date: January 26, 2009 21:52

ummm...well, SOL managed to find a home on a stones album....

Date: January 26, 2009 21:53

SOL, as bad as it is, is not a Let's Work quality kind of gay club dance song.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 26, 2009 21:54

bumbum
How many CD's did he sell - 50.000?

Hilary Duff sold million copies. this doesnt mean she's better than Jagger

Date: January 26, 2009 23:10

I'm not too sure that I agree with the statement that the very best of is an album for people who don't own the studio albums.

I've got all the studio albums, plus some excellent bootlegs. Love the mick jagger and the red devils album for example.

But I think compiliation albums are good opportunity to give an overview of an artists career, this one particularly was an excellent demonstration of jaggers versatility. I found it quite remarkable how they all managed to hang together.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 26, 2009 23:52

Undercover is a GOOOD song!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 27, 2009 00:47

A man who has seen the light, allelujah!! And hey, who cares what kind of commercial success it was ( or that any of his solo efforts have been, for that matter) what matters is the true value of his material. Mick has a unique style, reflective of his blues background but one which encompasses many styles of music. He is like a blender that churns out a synthecized version of his own music after taking it all in. I LOVE IT!

Date: January 27, 2009 01:42

Mickschix,

I've seen the light brothers and sisters.Amen!!!!

Keep on rock, and never drop the landing gear.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 27, 2009 01:45

bumbum - Who cares how many copies it sold. Exile does not sell that well for the reputation it has and you don't find many bad posts about that one!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 27, 2009 02:00

To me; "Joy" is JUST as unlistenable as Let's Work and Charmed Life.....maybe I'm in the minority

Date: January 27, 2009 02:13

I think Joy is an absolute cracker, and for some sick reason I absolutely love charmed life.

But, its a big enough world, and there's plenty of other Stones stuff out there, I'm just glad I broadened my horizons and although still am all about the Keefster, Mick has defo gone up in my estimates, I'm converted to a mick jagger solo artist fan!!!!

Christ! I feel like I've just come out!!! Hahahahaha!!! I feel so liberated man!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 27, 2009 02:56

To me it's a good compilation!

Minus Lets work, Joy and C.Life - and instead of that some of his real good songs whom I've been missing here - and this would have been a GREAT ONE!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 27, 2009 03:00

Rocky Dijon
Faint praise, I know. As for Mick's sales being disappointing - THE VERY BEST OF outsold the ALFIE soundtrack as well as MAIN OFFENDER and LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM.

Not true, Alfie sold better in U.S (close to 80k) but maybe The Best Of sold a bit more worldwide.
Main Offender sold about 250k in U.S alone and about the same number worldwide. The Hollywood Palladium CD has sold over 110k in U.S alone, yet it never made the Top 200.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 27, 2009 04:27

Many thanks, georgelicks. Not only are you a font of knowledge when it comes to these statistics, but its the first time I've seen more than first week sales for ALFIE and any sales for Keith's second and third solo efforts.

Date: January 27, 2009 04:28

substituting tonight for gazza: georgelicks. gazza returns from assignment next week.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 27, 2009 06:38

T&A
Monkeytonkman

a disclaimer that should more often be revealed for many posts here....i nod in your general direction for your forthrightness....

Er, um ... um, ah ... Dave's not here, man.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 27, 2009 06:41

Erik_Snow
To me; "Joy" is JUST as unlistenable as Let's Work and Charmed Life.....maybe I'm in the minority

I actually like the version of Charmed Life on there, but I totally agree about Let's Work and Joy. Unlistenable. I made a mix without those two and threw in a few other Jagger solo tracks. He definitely has enough good songs to fill one CD.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: January 27, 2009 08:26

And She´s the boss and Primitive cool sold better than Talk is cheap and Main offender (if i remember correctly). Maybe surprising for many.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 27, 2009 09:16

skipstone

I think it was a Wandering Spirit leftover.

Checkin' Up On My Baby sounds great on here, the whole session should be released.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 27, 2009 09:19

Well well well, he's simply the best!

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home