Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Springsteen & The E Street Band 2009 tour dates
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:14

Bruce's star continues to fall Stateside apparently. Once again he's playing a modest number of 20,000 seat arenas here in the Spring and half again that many STADIUM type venues in Europe through the Summer. He'll migh play some stadiums here in late August and September but we thought that last year too.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:15

so, Gazza, does the Italian promoter that you mentioned in a prior thread still think there will be a show in Bern, CH on June 30th?..

Thanks ~

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:36

There hasnt been any more on that one, but i'd say it's still possible.

Date: January 29, 2009 18:41

R
Bruce's star continues to fall Stateside apparently. Once again he's playing a modest number of 20,000 seat arenas here in the Spring and half again that many STADIUM type venues in Europe through the Summer. He'll migh play some stadiums here in late August and September but we thought that last year too.

Your obsession knows no bounds. It was always intended to be a short tour.

Europe doesnt have the size of arenas that is the norm in America and has a higher population, so its somewhat reasonable to play small stadiums here. Especially as most of them are in cities he didnt visit last year.

By the time this tour is over he'll have been on the road almost solidly for two years and will have played in excess of 100 shows in the US alone in that time. barely half that many in Europe. there's such a thing as market saturation (ask Cohl) but he's hardly doing too badly by anyone's standards.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:55

Gazza
trainarollin
I'm listening to his new CD at work now. Overall, much better than "Magic"
A few letdowns, but that's okay. I just feel sorry for the Sheep who follow his every stage move and audience jesture. What I mean is, if he takes one of the low points of the CD "Queen of the Supermarket" and puts it right before the encore break, I can picture thousands of fans holding up lit cell phones to make them look like store UPC scanners and making the beeping noise simutaniously till Bruce returns on stage.

he's had little problem making his more 'lightweight' songs work in front of a live audience before. Most of 'Born in the USA' being a prime example.

Now I happen to love Queen of the Supermarket! LOL Overall, I do like this album better than Magic even if it's much more mellow. It's still a far cry from the Rising though, and I woulda hoped they'd have gone out on a high, similar to that album. Not sure if I'll try to catch him again. It was one of the best concerts I ever attended, seeing him at Giants Stadium for the Rising tour.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 29, 2009 19:44

VoodooLounge13
Gazza
trainarollin
I'm listening to his new CD at work now. Overall, much better than "Magic"
A few letdowns, but that's okay. I just feel sorry for the Sheep who follow his every stage move and audience jesture. What I mean is, if he takes one of the low points of the CD "Queen of the Supermarket" and puts it right before the encore break, I can picture thousands of fans holding up lit cell phones to make them look like store UPC scanners and making the beeping noise simutaniously till Bruce returns on stage.

he's had little problem making his more 'lightweight' songs work in front of a live audience before. Most of 'Born in the USA' being a prime example.

Now I happen to love Queen of the Supermarket! LOL Overall, I do like this album better than Magic even if it's much more mellow. It's still a far cry from the Rising though, and I woulda hoped they'd have gone out on a high, similar to that album. Not sure if I'll try to catch him again. It was one of the best concerts I ever attended, seeing him at Giants Stadium for the Rising tour.

I think you should go see him. This might well be the last E Street Band tour. All sorts of rumours abounding - ill health (Clarence, Nils's recent hip op, Max having back surgery - plus the tv commitments).

Unlike you, I seriously LOATHE WOAD - four decent songs (the great, the very good and the good). It's so bad it makes Magic sound like Darkness. In fact, it gives Human Touch serious competition in terms of the biggest pile of dreck he's put out. I think WOAD might even pip Human Touch to the post. At best it's a dead heat.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing him in London. And I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 19:45 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 29, 2009 19:53

"Unlike you, I seriously LOATHE WOAD - four decent songs (the great, the very good and the good). It's so bad it makes Magic sound like Darkness. In fact, it gives Human Touch serious competition in terms of the biggest pile of dreck he's put out. I think WOAD might even pip Human Touch to the post. At best it's a dead heat."

Exactly. It was laughable when reading an interview concerning "Queen of the Supermarket" "I came up with the idea..." give me a break! No one has never entertained the idea of a cashier?

HT from that era is crap...however Lucky Town is good stuff

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 29, 2009 20:02

I agree with a lot of the comments here.

Concert wise, Yes, Springsteen has pretty much over-exposed himself here in The States. You can only get us old farts out so many times to see a show, you know what I mean. Maybe his Super Bowl show will generate some interest. It might actually do the opposite. When people hear how badly his voice has deteriorated over the last several years they will be less excited about going to one of his concerts.

As far as the new record, I listened to the whole thing and have to agree with the nay-sayers. The opening cut,"Outlaw Pete",is Fantastic and worth the cost of the CD in itself. Unfortunately the rest of the record is re-cycled filler (much like the last Stones record) and completely unmemorable. Oh, and by the way, Queen of the Supermarket is a complete rip-off of Leon Russell's "Queen of The Roller-Derby" from the mid-Seventies.

Date: January 30, 2009 00:22

Duane in Houston
I agree with a lot of the comments here.

Concert wise, Yes, Springsteen has pretty much over-exposed himself here in The States. You can only get us old farts out so many times to see a show, you know what I mean. Maybe his Super Bowl show will generate some interest. It might actually do the opposite. When people hear how badly his voice has deteriorated over the last several years they will be less excited about going to one of his concerts.

Not to my ears, Duane. His voice was really bad in the mid-90's (when he did a brief ESB reunion - maybe that was a factor in him concentrating on acoustic music for a couple of years?) and maybe hadnt quite returned to it's best by the time of the Reunion tour in 1999-2000, but for a guy whos performing at full power for 2 and a half to 3 hours per show, its held up pretty well ever since.

I cant recall him ever having to postpone/cancel a show due to voice problems. Thats quite something for anyone, let alone a very energetic rock n roll singer a few months short of his 60th birthday.

I agree with what youre saying about the Super Bowl. Cant say I'm enthused by him playing it (I felt the same way about the Stones) but I suppose when you're at an age where you dont get as much radio airplay as you used to, its a good way for these old farts to expose themselves to the masses.

Date: January 30, 2009 00:53

We'll see how he does Sunday.

By the way how do you like "Outlaw Pete" from the new CD? There's NO WAY he can hit those notes in concert. I think it ranks up there with "Jesse Jane" by Alice Cooper as a truly great Western story song.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-30 01:04 by Duane in Houston.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 30, 2009 01:38

His voice is not ok? Please, please...Jagger has been talking through the concerts since - 89! On the Otis Redding-number - 2003 extras, Flicks - he finally let himself off the hook a bit...but otherwise: no! Springsteen shouts, growls, sings and takes a chance for 2-3 hours ALL the time! It´s a fact. Listen. Respect! As Little Walter once said: "What the hell is wrong with you all?".

Date: January 30, 2009 01:49

Duane in Houston
We'll see how he does Sunday.

By the way how do you like "Outlaw Pete" from the new CD? There's NO WAY he can hit those notes in concert. I think it ranks up there with "Jesse Jane" by Alice Cooper as a truly great Western story song.

Sunday maybe wont be a good example - hasnt performed in months and they're going there 'cold'. Plus the sound at those Superbowl events always seems to be an afterthought. The three-hour shows I saw last year are a better yardstick.

Love "Outlaw Pete". Its absolutely daft in parts and over the top, but I'm a huge fan of those kind of epics (eg "Wild the innocent" is maybe my favourite Bruce album). I can understand why people dont like the album but it grew on me after a few listens. When you put out four extremely diverse albums in four years, you're not going to please everybody, I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-30 01:53 by Gazza.

Date: January 30, 2009 01:52

Bjorn
His voice is not ok? Please, please...Jagger has been talking through the concerts since - 89! On the Otis Redding-number - 2003 extras, Flicks - he finally let himself off the hook a bit...but otherwise: no! Springsteen shouts, growls, sings and takes a chance for 2-3 hours ALL the time! It´s a fact. Listen. Respect! As Little Walter once said: "What the hell is wrong with you all?".

In fairness think Mick's done more than OK in the last couple of decades, Bjorn. Whilst he may not have the range in the last five years that he used to have, he's made the best of it - and he almost singlehandedly carried the band on the Licks tour, when he was consistently superb night after night. I certainly prefer it to a lot of the breathless yelling which was the norm from the mid 70s up to 1982. He's learned how to pace himself better vocally with age. If he'd continued as he was, his voice would have been in shreds years ago.

Date: January 30, 2009 19:22

Another comment on his new CD : Am I the only one who noticed a HUGE Roy Orbison influence in a LOT of these songs?

If you listen to it again see if you hear it in the song-writing, the mix, the instrumentation, the lead vocals and the back-up vocals. It's scary I tell ya.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 30, 2009 19:35

Duane in Houston
Another comment on his new CD : Am I the only one who noticed a HUGE Roy Orbison influence in a LOT of these songs?

If you listen to it again see if you hear it in the song-writing, the mix, the instrumentation, the lead vocals and the back-up vocals. It's scary I tell ya.

Me too, especially with the title track!

...still don't like the album, mind.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 30, 2009 19:42

Duane in Houston

I strongly suggest buying the re-issued Roy Orbison Black & White Night, DVD and CD Combo. It's around $20. So damn good. The encore with Roy trading licks with James Burton and Bruce Springsteen is worth the price alone.

Date: January 30, 2009 20:06

Duane in Houston

Nope. Nothin' wrong with that, either.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: January 30, 2009 20:54

Tried in vain to get tickets for the RDS sauturday gig, could have got ones for sunday but that doesnt work for me. Heres hoping he does that Hyde Park gig.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home