Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"I've Been Loving You Too Long" - Albert Hall 1966
Date: January 19, 2009 07:06

Is it true that this is just the studio version overdubbed with girlish screams?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: "I've Been Loving You Too Long" - Albert Hall 1966
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:33

Yep recorded RCA Studios LA 11-12 May 1965....

Studio without screeeeeeeems can be found
on 4CD Black Box Special Millenium Edition.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:37

>Studio without screeeeeeeems can be found on 4CD Black Box Special Millenium Edition.

(ahem) or on the official reissue of MORE HOT ROCKS.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:42

Yeah Yeah ...Thats right Glam forgot dat one...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 20, 2009 15:14

Without a doubt its the studio version

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 20, 2009 15:27

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 14:31 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 20, 2009 16:22

Glasgow 66 is much better... slurp. grinning smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 20, 2009 17:19

one of jagger's alltime weakest vocals - sounds like a 6-year-old mama's boy....

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: January 20, 2009 18:41

T&A
one of jagger's alltime weakest vocals - sounds like a 6-year-old mama's boy....

I generally really like Mick's mid-60s soul covers (including 'My Girl'!), but I have to agree with this.

I hope the RS version of James Brown's 'Try Me' surfaces some time...

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: January 20, 2009 20:59

Yeah how do you follow the great Otis Redding

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 20, 2009 21:39

pike bishop
Yeah how do you follow the great Otis Redding

it makes sense that mick loves otis' music - what he has apparently failed to understand is that if you're gonna do an otis tune yourself you'd better have the chops; he doesn't.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: January 21, 2009 02:37

Can someone plz post it?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: January 21, 2009 11:10

StratoGR
Can someone plz post it?

Go out & buy it. It's available officially.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: January 21, 2009 15:26

LOL I am sorry.I didn't know.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2009 16:30

In fact, the 'original' studio version is also officially released. I remember having it in Decca's FOR COLLECTOR'S ONLY album from the early 80's. I don't know any other source; are there CD versions?

It is arguably one of the worst moments in recorded Stones history - the version with screeming chicks is actually better because it covers the weak and bloodless performance. Mick has never been so lost.

Of the great version of the song - we can never forget the one of Tina Turner does in GIMME SHELTER, now can we?

- Doxa

Date: January 23, 2009 06:49

>I don't know any other source; are there CD versions?

(SIGH) Yes -- scroll up for my first post in this thread.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:00

It's official on More Hot Rocks ABKCO bonus track

What about Glasglow 66?? Is that a boot in circulation ?
Where can that be found? thanks for any info

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 23, 2009 09:38

"It is arguably one of the worst moments in recorded Stones history - the version with screeming chicks is actually better because it covers the weak and bloodless performance. Mick has never been so lost."

I don't agree!
IMO "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is very underrated. Mick is really great on this. Can't compare to the original Otis Redding, couse Mick is white and Otis is unique. But a very very good cover.One of my fave soul cover among other greats on Out Of Our Heads.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-23 09:42 by 1962.

Date: January 23, 2009 10:10

Glam Descendant
>I don't know any other source; are there CD versions?

(SIGH) Yes -- scroll up for my first post in this thread.

I'm sorry.

- Doxa

Date: January 23, 2009 10:16

"It is arguably one of the worst moments in recorded Stones history - the version with screeming chicks is actually better because it covers the weak and bloodless performance. Mick has never been so lost."

I don't agree!
IMO "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is very underrated. Mick is really great on this. Can't compare to the original Otis Redding, couse Mick is white and Otis is unique. But a very very good cover.One of my fave soul cover among other greats on Out Of Our Heads.

I should give it another listen - and I think that 'another' is almost actual account of the times I have heard it - it is surely some 25 years ago I last time listened to it...the version without the screeeeeeems I mean - with them I always skip when I listen to GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! The problem is that I don't have vinyl player anymore, so it won't happen just like that (and I don't fancy for buying another Stones collection for just one song...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-23 10:16 by Doxa.

Date: January 24, 2009 02:06

>I'm sorry.

No problem : )

>and I don't fancy for buying another Stones collection for just one song...

Actually the MHR reissue has 3 bonus tracks not available on any other/previous official CD, including the superior, harder-rocking "Poison Ivy" and the alternate "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" (the one from the US vinyl version of NOW!).

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 24, 2009 03:44

I'm surprised "Loving You Too Long" was ever released in any form,Micks vocal is embarrassing IMO.

Date: January 24, 2009 10:47

Glam Descendant
Actually the MHR reissue has 3 bonus tracks not available on any other/previous official CD, including the superior, harder-rocking "Poison Ivy" and the alternate "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" (the one from the US vinyl version of NOW!).

I have lost the track of what these re-issues nowadays include. Few questions.

- is it so that CD version of NOW! includes the original UK NO 2 vinyl version of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love"
- is that harder-rocking version of "Poison Ivy" the one from UK EP? Or the one that was supposed to be the single but then cancelled?

Plus extra question: is "Fortune Teller" without screaming released on CD officially anywhere? It is at least included in that FOR COLLECTOR'S ONLY (which truely was worth of its name at the time, including, f.e. "Con Le Mie Lacrime").

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 10:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 24, 2009 13:33

Doxa

- is it so that CD version of NOW! includes the original UK NO 2 vinyl version of "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love"

No. For some strange reason, the version that was once considered as the one released by mistake on the first pressing of "Now" is now the common one, and the well-known "long version" is only available on "More Hot Rocks". I say "strange" because the "released by mistake" version (the shorter version) sounds indeed like a studio run-through, not like a finished piece. Seems that a huge mix-up is going on here since ABKCOs SACD-DSD remaster campaign!

- is that harder-rocking version of "Poison Ivy" the one from UK EP? Or the one that was supposed to be the single but then cancelled?

"More Hot Rocks" now includes both versions of Poison Ivy - the EP version as well as the different version that was intended as a single, but only released on a TV various artists compilation in the 60s.

Plus extra question: is "Fortune Teller" without screaming released on CD officially anywhere? It is at least included in that FOR COLLECTOR'S ONLY (which truely was worth of its name at the time, including, f.e. "Con Le Mie Lacrime").

Fortune Teller without screaming overdubs is also available on the new More Hot Rocks, just like "Ive Been Loving You Too Long" (which is in true stereo, by the way, on Collectörs Only it was straight mono).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 13:39 by alimente.

Date: January 24, 2009 17:34

"Fortune Teller" was also on the original vinyl release of "More Hot Rocks" in 1972.

Date: January 24, 2009 18:08

alimente
Doxa

No. For some strange reason, the version that was once considered as the one released by mistake on the first pressing of "Now" is now the common one, and the well-known "long version" is only available on "More Hot Rocks". I say "strange" because the "released by mistake" version (the shorter version) sounds indeed like a studio run-through, not like a finished piece. Seems that a huge mix-up is going on here since ABKCOs SACD-DSD remaster campaign!

"More Hot Rocks" now includes both versions of Poison Ivy - the EP version as well as the different version that was intended as a single, but only released on a TV various artists compilation in the 60s.

Fortune Teller without screaming overdubs is also available on the new More Hot Rocks, just like "Ive Been Loving You Too Long" (which is in true stereo, by the way, on Collectörs Only it was straight mono).

- Doxa

Thanks! MORE HOT ROCKS seems to be a reasonable investment. Most likely the only CD source for many cuts nowadays. (I just strted to wonder where did I get the other version of "Poison Ivy", because it was not included in COLLECTORS ONLY, and I have never possessed MORE HOT ROCKS. Perhaps it was in NO STONE UNTURNED? The great German compilation from 1964 AROUND AND AROUND - one of my first Stones record which I have then sold away because it was not 'original', stupid me... - had the EP version I think).

- Doxa

Date: January 24, 2009 18:17

Version two of IVY is on No Stone Unturned. Also Version 1 is on the Russian fake Decca release of Rolling Stones No 1(uk) as a bonus track.

I can tell you where to d/l both in FLAC if you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 18:19 by scottkeef.

Date: January 24, 2009 18:42

scottkeef
Version two of IVY is on No Stone Unturned. Also Version 1 is on the Russian fake Decca release of Rolling Stones No 1(uk) as a bonus track.

I can tell you where to d/l both in FLAC if you want.

I have the intention to buy MORE HOT ROCKS but I wouldn't mind to have a taste earlier, if that is appropiate... So if you please...

- Doxa

Date: January 24, 2009 18:45

stadiumstudios.blogspot.com

Date: January 24, 2009 18:46

Thanks!

- Doxa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home