Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT - Springsteen Hating
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:08

Gypsy Biker is a really good song.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:17

My wife really, really loves him. I can see the talent there for sure. His stuff doesn't 'do it' for me so much, but for God's sake I don't hate him! I don't even know him!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:23

BluzDude
I like the Stones, AC/DC, Springsteen (but only WITH the E Strett Band). I like U2 and Queen (pre 1980).
Can't Stand the Dead, heck, I even liked the BeeGees until SNF.
It's all a matter of how the music of these bands affect us.
I understand how anybody can like or dislike any artist (with maybe a few exceptions). Our brains are all wired differently. Imagine how boring life would be if we all liked the exact same things.

I agree wid everything BD said!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 19, 2009 04:25

I concurm he's right on the money. Otherwise there would less flavours of ice cream in the world.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:36

I dont hate him and I'm not saying he aint talented, I just dont think he's great.
But like a lot of artists I can tolerate his music better when I dont have to watch him.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 19, 2009 04:59

Elmo Lewis

I agree wid everything BD said!

...but I like anchovies in my Caesar Salad.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 05:06

I don't hate him, and actually wish I could get into him. I respect his talent, and integrity. But he just doesn't move me much. I don't own anything by him...and not really interested in getting anything from him either...

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 05:21

For the longest time I was lukewarm towards Bruce, and then there was this song. I have since become a fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-19 05:32 by bassplayer617.

Date: January 19, 2009 05:22

"Embedding Disabled By Request"

Hmm, don't know if I've heard that one.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 19, 2009 05:32

I fixed the song link.

Date: January 19, 2009 05:47

Now, in 2009, we have another song connected to a film, and another instant classic:

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 19, 2009 06:00

so far i haven't seen one poster who has said he/she hates bruce. nice idea for a thread.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 19, 2009 06:33

so far i haven't seen one poster who has said he/she hates bruce. nice idea for a thread.

---

good point

to some it seems, critiquing and lack of devotion = "hating"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:21

bruce is so brilliant; such a great writer and rocker. a goldmine of rock and roll soul. it's hard to believe that anyone in the room at the end of one of his shows (back in the day and maybe right now too) and see ALL the lights turned bright white hot in the audience, as bright as the brightest stage lights, and EVERYONE, i mean tens of thousands are GOING for it like there's no tomorrow to two hours of the best rockin' cover band doin' those classics...whew. it was a spiritual experience...just pure joy and passion and everyone at the wildest high school dance of your dreams...i'll never forget that. i was flat out in tears of joy.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: January 19, 2009 07:29

How can anybody hate the cat who did "Backstreets"?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 19, 2009 08:49

I love Bruce. Got all the albums, loads of boots, seen him loads of times.

BUT ...

His forthcoming album is a serious stinker. The worst he's done since Human Touch.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 19, 2009 09:18

How can one hate Springsteen? One can reject his "persona" (the multi-millionaire Lefty speaking giving voice to the Common Man), and one can argue that his sound and subject matter has become fossilzed, but just look at the man's canon. God almighty...

Springsteen's "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J" and "The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle" were favorites of mine in my youth...verbose and loose and jangling affairs, but nothing prepared me for "Born To Run". The sound was so epic, the imagery so melodramatic...it was like having a 1950's Technicolor Cinemascope youth film unfurl in your own head. Just spectacular.

Then he came back with "Darkness On The Edge Of Town"...that was during the summer of 1978 and that album and "Some Girls" just dominated my turntable (remember those?) for months. "Darkness" was Film Noir...the beautiful losers from "Born To Run" had been beaten down by fate and the system and where there once was boundless optimism now there was anger and frustration. But the album was a revelation and while it took time to warm to it was deeper...darker...gorgeous. I caught him in concert that summer in New York...3 steaming hours of rollicking, passionate rock and roll never felt so good. So for me, Bruce was a true artist and visionary in the 1970's.

"The River" was also excellent, but I never really warmed to it...the "Working Class Hero" schtick was a bit thick and I was going through other musical phases circa 1980, but when "Nebraska" dropped in 1982 I was stunned. This was a masterpiece. This was a grainy black and white snuff film...the victim being hope. Breathtaking.

After that came the mega-superfragilistic-"Born To Run" and though I liked it a lot when it came out it hasn't aged well...and at that point I kinda lost interest in Bruce...the hype became too obsequious and all-encompassing. The Brooooce-worship became jingoistic and crude. It turned me off. Sure, he's made some valid music since ("Tunnel Of Love" was intriguing and challenging, and "Ghost Of Tom Joad" was a noble attempt) but mainly I've lost interest. His vocal and thematic affectations grew on him like hard scales.

But just for those first 7-8 albums he deserves a place in the Pantheon...and though I do not appreciate his abusing the privilege of having an audience to expound on his politics I give the man my respect for the artistic flames his passion burned on for the first 10-12 years of his career. And I'm thankful for this. He's no holy man, but he has given much of himself to causes he believes in and to his music. What more can one ask for? Long may he run.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:11

How can anybody hate the cat who did "Backstreets"?

How can one hate Springsteen?
---

no one has said they hate him, as pointed out above - the premise of this thread is flawed

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:37

Nikolai
His forthcoming album is a serious stinker. The worst he's done since Human Touc

I'm a bit afraid of that one, too. Although I'm a huge fan, I have avoided listening to it so far and I won't hear it before this friday. However many people (fans) seem to agree that this one is a rather weak album.

But I can't understand (and I mean I TRULY can't understand) how anyone who has seen him perform live with the E-Street Band can hate Springsteen and not appreciate his live-performance abilities.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:37

bassplayer617
Now, in 2009, we have another song connected to a film, and another instant classic:

You might want to hold on to this 5 minute version for dear life because the album version is cut to 3 mins 20. No idea why.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:47

oldkr
he's an entitled whining worthy hammed up near talentless hack. he is rock n rolls answer to the chick flick.

OLDKR

ouch confused smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:51

He deserves respect for his live efforts and for his tight musicianship, but I find his music quite boring.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:05

My respect for what Springsteen yesterday did in Obama concert. Also bringing P. Seeger there, and doing a Woody Guthrie song was a class act. Almost brought a tear in my eye.

(But if there is one of whom the word "hate" is not far from among the feelings I seem to have after yesterday's concert, that is that Bono. Love his music, but the guy is probably the most egoist, idiot pop star ever walked on earth. His totally tasteless, self-centered, Jesus-like 'performance' at there was probably the most disgusting piece of crap I'ver ever seen. I never care much about his antics, but NOW I got the point why he is getting so much on people's nerves. Seemingly, looking the reaction of the audience, starting from the pres. elected, at Washington D.C. was also as bothered as mine was. Even the redneck symbol Garth Brooks - doing a James Brown number, what a great and appropriate choice! - was a class act compared to this little Irish Napoleon. And that is a lot said from my side!)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-19 12:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:11

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
There aren't many artists whom get any credit on this board. In all honesty this board can be fairly musically xenophobic.

Mathijs

Especially you with The Stones.

I don't understand what you mean, please elaborate.

Mathijs

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:43

hbwriter

---

good point

to some it seems, critiquing and lack of devotion = "hating"

yes....i agree...just because you question a performer's motives
or don't LOVE absolutely everything he does (musically or otherwise)
should not be equated to "hate".

personally, i like a lot of Bruce's music....and own several of his albums.
And I'd go to his concerts if prices were more reasonable...but IN GENERAL
I have a problem with overly SELF-IMPORTANT performers that think just
because they came up with a hit record in their garage..or were lucky enough
to be in a big movie that they are experts on societal isssues. And it's completely
legitimate to question the Springsteen/Walmart thing.

I think this thread was a result of the Walmart thread.
I didn't see any real Bruce "HATE" in that thread either.....just opinions
about whether he's a hypocrite or not. Music was judged separately.

I can be a fan of a performer's music and still disagree with
them politically.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:51

His talent is unquestioned...and he just seems a nice guy.

There are others, we could all name, NOT like Springsteen.

And all the talent they could muster, wouldn't surpass their, socalled "humanity".

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 19, 2009 15:45

Bruce is, was and always has been a tremendous songwriter and performer. It was when he added left-wing Hollywood celebretard to his resume that he lost a lot of fans. Now he's about as relevant as Melissa Etheridge.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2009 18:46

It took me years to over-come the hype Bruce Springsteen got during "Born In The USA" time in the mid-80's... consequently, for years I always associated him with Ronald Reagan, Rocky IV and all the shit that happened then. I know I know I know the 'truth' of the that particular song, but at least as far my little persona is concerned his PR campaign behind his superstar status did a huge harm back then,,.

So it's kind of ironical he is considered as a dangerous 'leftie' these days... eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-19 18:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 18:48

he is not great and definately not a good writer, leave alone being one of the best writers as some folks here say. for me his writing is the worst part, mostly not even there.

he is only image, and i donĀ“t even like that image.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 19, 2009 18:55

I like some of his stuff, and I certainly respect him. I just don't think he's that good a songwriter. The E Street Band is great of course, and there's no denying it. But a band playing all those, 'scuse the term, half-arsed rock songs, don't really cut it for me. There's no power in the composition for me. And there needs to be.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home