Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Bob Marley
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 17, 2009 11:56

Here is a great track from the Bob Marley. Anyone know of the Glimmer's relationship with Marley?

Re: OT: Bob Marley
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 15:19

Hello, I am wondering where to start with Bob Marley. All that I have is Legend, and I was quite content with just that, but my 6-year old son absolutely LOVES Bob Marley. He listens to the copy of Legend I made him every night as he drifts off to sleep, and I'd like to broaden my collection of Marley for him in a way that keeps him interested. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go from here?? I belong to a CD club that only has Exodus and Live, but that's fine as I could easily go elsewhere to pick up some of the albums, but the thing is is that there are just so many of them, many of which have great cover art, but I just don't know where to start. His favorite Marley song is Three Little Birds, if that helps at all.
thanks much,
VL13

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 26, 2010 17:22

I seem to remember reading they went to seem him at a festival in Jamaica many years ago, which also led to them seeing Peter Tosh and his later signing to Rolling Stone records.

Keith played on the song "Lee and Molly" from Ziggy Marley's "Conscious Party" album.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 26, 2010 17:55

"could you be loved" is my favourite marley song.

if theres a better one, please somebody tell me about it.

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: August 26, 2010 18:03

Live and Babylon By Bus (also liverecord) are great.
His debutalbum on Island records, Catch a Fire, is a classic ofcourse. Another personal favourite is Survival. Actually i think all his seventies-albums are great!

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 26, 2010 18:04

You should be a bit careful when buying Bob's CDs as there are many crappy ones on the market.

My advice would be to get a copy of "African Herbsman" first IMHO his greatest record, otherwise all the Island record releases are great particularly :

Natty Dread
Burnin,
Catch A Fire
Rastaman Vibration
Exodus

You cant go wrong with any of those they are all essential and amongst the greatest and most timeless music ever made.

Date: August 26, 2010 18:09

Yes, I've already ascertained that there are many compilations/remixes out there just to capitalize on the name. I have the list of "official" albums that were released during his time and was going to stick with those. Thanks!!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 26, 2010 18:17

This is a great set: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2010 18:38

VoodooLounge13
Hello, I am wondering where to start with Bob Marley. All that I have is Legend, and I was quite content with just that, but my 6-year old son absolutely LOVES Bob Marley. He listens to the copy of Legend I made him every night as he drifts off to sleep, and I'd like to broaden my collection of Marley for him in a way that keeps him interested. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should go from here?? I belong to a CD club that only has Exodus and Live, but that's fine as I could easily go elsewhere to pick up some of the albums, but the thing is is that there are just so many of them, many of which have great cover art, but I just don't know where to start. His favorite Marley song is Three Little Birds, if that helps at all.
thanks much,
VL13

I would say Catch A Fire then maybe Rastaman Vibration. I personally like Kaya too.

The 4-disc box set Songs Of Freedom has a lot of early (some not so good) stuff, but lots of really cool stuff too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 26, 2010 18:49

VoodooLounge13
thanks much,
VL13

You wont go far wrong with Exodus and Live. Two great records.

All the Island era material is worth getting (ie the stuff from 1972 to 1981).

Burnin', Catch A Fire, Exodus and Uprising are my favourites of the studio albums - but the rest are all worth getting too.

Date: August 26, 2010 19:04

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13
thanks much,
VL13

I would say Catch A Fire then maybe Rastaman Vibration. I personally like Kaya too.

The 4-disc box set Songs Of Freedom has a lot of early (some not so good) stuff, but lots of really cool stuff too.

This is also in my CD club (allbeit at about half the price!), but I wasn't sure if I necessarily wanted to go to this level yet. I just want to get some other albums to give my son a bit more of a variety of songs/music of his. He's a little snowboarder, so he tends to like a lot of this sort of music, which seems to fit right in with the whole snowboard/skateboard image LOL. Bob Marley, Rusted Root, No Doubt, Beastie Boys, Matisyahu, Red Hot Chili Peppers. The more worldly sounding the beat, the more he digs it!!!

Say if anyone Stateside is interested in checking out my CD club, please just let me know. There's no minimum to buy - you can order 1 or 100. It's $6.99 a cd, and shipping's free. And I get a free cd for every person I get to join! cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 20:11 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: August 26, 2010 19:57

Thanks everyone who helped me out with this! Much appreciated. I just wanted to let you know some of the other albums I was considering as well, as much for their relatively scarce availability as anything else:

Soul Rebels
Soul Revolution, Pt 2
The Complete Upsetter Singles: 1970-1972 Plus Dubs
Upsetter Revolution Rhythm
Trenchtown Days: The Birth of a Legend (love the cover of this one!!)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2010 20:45

I addition to the many listed above, Uprising is also essential...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-26 20:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 26, 2010 21:06

Bob is one of those artists that (like the Stones) have so many great albums..that you really need to own them all! I am refering to the offical Island records releases of course. Beware of those comps.

To get started after Legend, I have listed the albums below in what in my opinion are from the most accessible to the most challenging. All are good though.

Exodus- 1977
Kaya- 1978
Catch A Fire- 1973
Uprising- 1980
Burnin'- 1973
Rastaman Vibration- 1976
Natty Dread- 1974
Survival- 1979

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: August 26, 2010 21:07

Don't forget Kaya

Date: August 26, 2010 21:22

lettingitbleed
Bob is one of those artists that (like the Stones) have so many great albums..that you really need to own them all! I am refering to the offical Island records releases of course. Beware of those comps.

To get started after Legend, I have listed the albums below in what in my opinion are from the most accessible to the most challenging. All are good though.

Exodus- 1977
Kaya- 1978
Catch A Fire- 1973
Uprising- 1980
Burnin'- 1973
Rastaman Vibration- 1976
Natty Dread- 1974
Survival- 1979

Hey thanks Letitbleed - this is a big help!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 26, 2010 21:46

terraplane
Anyone know of the Glimmer's relationship with Marley?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 27, 2010 01:40

I got that compilation too!

One of my favourite songs is Concrete Jungle.
And the guitar/ lead solo is from Wayne Perkins, who could have been a Stone as we all know . .

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 27, 2010 01:51

CousinC
I got that compilation too!

One of my favourite songs is Concrete Jungle.
And the guitar/ lead solo is from Wayne Perkins, who could have been a Stone as we all know . .

Love that song, and especially that solo. Never knew it was by Wayne Perkins, thanks for the info.

Date: August 27, 2010 15:26

Say I just noticed that Soul Revolution Part II is the dub version of Soul Revolution, which is what Upsetter Revolution Rhythm claimed to be. The track list is similar too, so I'm wondering are these essentially the same album? Kinda strange if so since they were both released by the same label in the same year........anyone know?
thanks

And is Soul Revolution out of print? I've not seen that one for sale anywhere.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 27, 2010 17:45

Soul Revolution II is the instrumentals
As you mentioned, some vol II's includes the Upsetter Revolution Rhythm title as well
However; SR I was often issued in SR Part II sleeves - my lp is in a vol II sleeve

Also you can more or less swap Soul Revolution for African Herbsman
as the latter contains all the tracks except Memphis and includes four or five
tracks that aren't on SR I

If you are going all in, you may also consider trying to get your hands on the Complete Wailers 67-73 vol I + II + III

Don't know what's still in print and what's not - if anything at all
Still I'd say both Soul Rebels and Soul Revolution contains some absolute wonderful music
Both well worth hunting down in one form or another

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 27, 2010 18:11

VoodooLounge, personally this is the best set to get the first few truely great albums bob marley and the wailers put out. Its basically their first 3 great albums and you can the cd with the intrumentals as well, and its only $10 and comes in a cool little box.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: August 27, 2010 19:17

^^^ Thanks for the tip HoundDog, I just ordered it. Soul ShakeDown Party is one of my favorite Marley tunes, so I know I'll like this set.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 27, 2010 19:42

Go for the original studio albums, deluxe editions where they exist.

My favorites, in order

Burnin'
Natty Dread
Survival
Uprising
Catch a Fire
Exodus
Confrontation (sleeper!)
Rastaman Vibration
Kaya

ALL worth having.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 27, 2010 19:43

I heard on the radio two weeks ago that the masters to Bob's recordings as well as live performances and such had been lost in a fire. I'm surprised no one had mentioned it here before now.

Marley Masters Lost in Fire

A real loss this.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 27, 2010 21:41

Gazza
You wont go far wrong with Exodus and Live. Two great records.

I agree. Two brilliant albums. The pre Island material particularly the Lee Perry cuts are also essential Marley.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 27, 2010 22:20

Songs of freedom is a must(IMO) as for boots look for the 7-7-75 radio show from san francisco.On a Stones note,Woody joined onstage 11-29-79.

Date: August 27, 2010 22:40

Braincapers
The pre Island material particularly the Lee Perry cuts are also essential Marley.

I didn't know Marley worked with Lee Scratch Perry. Verrrrry Interesting, I will definitely be checking that out.

detroitken
Songs of freedom is a must(IMO) as for boots look for the 7-7-75 radio show from san francisco.On a Stones note,Woody joined onstage 11-29-79.

Even though I don't have a big Marley collection, I do have a cassette of the 7-7-75 radio show, and I love it. Great stuff.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: August 28, 2010 01:07

I always loved this tune....Hypocrites.

Date: August 31, 2010 18:50

Hound Dog
VoodooLounge, personally this is the best set to get the first few truely great albums bob marley and the wailers put out. Its basically their first 3 great albums and you can the cd with the intrumentals as well, and its only $10 and comes in a cool little box.

[www.amazon.com]

Thanks Hound Dog - so you get Soul Rebels, Soul Revolution, Soul Revolution II, and the Best of the Wailers?? That's $7.50/disc - a better deal than I was looking at.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home