Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Lou Reed / The Velvet Underground
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 6, 2009 15:06

LOL. I believe the actual title is The Best of the Velvet Underground: Words and Music of Lou Reed

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2009 15:32

Greenblues
Yeah "clean up Your act", and then - smack - Lou hit him and went back to his table. After a while Bowie stormed over to hit him back (sounds a little bit pathetic, doesn't it?). .

Actually, if anything, it suggests to me that the food in that place must have been outstanding and worth waiting for.

Most people if they get into an altercation in a public place would tend to leave immediately afterwards, before they either get thrown out or their victim summons reinforcements to kick the tripe out of them.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 6, 2009 20:50

I got heavily into Reed around 1973 (Transformer, RnR Animal, Berlin, Sally Can't Dance etc.) I saw Reed at the Tower Thatre in Philly for the Sally Can't Dance tour then the Felt Forum in NYC for his following tour and The Kingfish in Baton Rouge for the tour after that. Unfortunately he ran out of gas by then and his shows no longer did anything for me.

My goal, now is to collect all of the Berlin Tour shows that were recorded/ bootlegged of which almost all of them were. This is, of course, the RnR Animal Tour that culminated in NYC for that record. I have found virtually NO film of any of these shows. I have 3 bootlegged shows, all excellent (soundboard?) quality so far. These shows are amazing! You can hear how his band gets better and tighter with each show and you can hear the songs evolving with each show to their culmination in the NYC concert. He alternated 2 songs as openers and threw in a rareity now and then. ALL of the songs are performed somewhat differently each night and are amazing on their own. Eventually I'll have them all, lined up chronologically on my shelf.

Date: January 6, 2009 21:36

Lucky you, Duane - I wish I could've seen Lou in the days when he was jockeying with Keith for the "next rock star to die" title.

I love the Velvets and Lou - the Velvets are quite possibly my favorite American rock n roll band. My 10 favorite VU/Velvets-related albums:

1 White Light/White Heat - VU
2 Coney Island Baby - Lou
3 Velvet Underground - VU
4 The Velvet Underground & Nico - VU
5 New York - Lou
6 Transformer - Lou
7 Loaded - VU
8 Berlin- Lou
9 Street Hassle - Lou
10 Chelsea Girl - Nico

...and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Velvets' Live 1969 record, Nico's Marble Index, Lou's live Take No Prisoners, and the two outtakes albums (VU & Another View). I really don't care for the Rock n Roll Animal-era Lou - frankly, I think that band is pure crap - nor do I get all the fuss over The Blue Mask. To be honest, other than a few scattered tracks (Sally Can't Dance, Ride Sally Ride, Waves Of Fear, Wild Child, Nobody Like You [from ...Drella, and a couple others]), I think a good deal of Lou's solo stuff outside of what I listed above is far from essential, and at times, just flat-out horrendous and/or ponderous. That said, pretty much every single note the Velvet Underground committed to tape is transcendent.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 6, 2009 22:37

Agree with the general sentiment that Lou/VU is great stuff, but that some of his recent studio releases have been below par. Here's a short review I wrote on a Lou board about his April 2008 show in Richmond USA:

SETLIST:
01. mad
02. sweet jane
03. i'm set free
04. ecstasy
05. i'm sticking with you
06. power of the heart (??-new song)
07. i wanna know (the pit and the pendulum)
08. halloween parade
09. video violence
10. guardian angel
11. magic & loss
12. pale blue eyes

Last night's Lou Show - Richmond, Virginia US

Saw Lou last night,he had Mike Rathke and Steve Hunter on guitars, Tony
Smith on drums, Rob Wasserman on bass, and two keyboardists whose
names I did not recognize.

Lou came out in a seemingly blissful state (he must have just
meditated, or perhaps medicated)and said "Hello thanks for having
us. You know I was born in Richmond..........right??" Only a small
portion of the crowd seemed to get his joke. It seemed to me to be a
mostly young crowd. The National Theater is very close to Virginia
Commenwealth University, which maybe explains that. I'd guess that
the 1,200 person capacity was two-thirds full.

The opener, "Mad", had a long instrumental break with Hunter ripping
a couple of long leads. Shades of "Rock n Roll Animal" I thought.
However, with the exception of "Video Violence", Steve didn't solo
much the rest of the night.

Lou was, for him, in very good voice. It was the third-consecutive-
night show, so I thought he might be a little hoarse and/or
reserved. But a few of the softer slower numbers found him singing
very melodiously. I was pleasantly suprised!

All in all the show was good, but despite a nicely eclectic song
selection, it seemed that the pacing was poor. The grouping of a
couple of slower longer songs in the last third of the show took away
from the momentum of the show's start. With such a large band I
would have preferred to hear them play some more uptempo songs with a
little more from Hunter. At 100 minutes (and only 1! encore), the
show suffered a little bit from its brevity. But, all-in-all, I
enjoyed the show. Nice to see Lou selecting from his entire
discography and not just focusing on one album.

Karl

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 7, 2009 14:32

keeffriffhard
I just love Lou Reed

He's the real deal

Any fans?

Any comments?

Underrated as a whack-job, unfortunately. A total inconoclast !

BERLIN, and his first solo album, VERY UN-APPRECIATED !

One memory...his stint as a DJ, around the time of the Bell album, on WPIX FM !

Taking phone calls from the public, and getting out of control ! Very charming man.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:27

I love all of the Velvet Undergrounds stuff. And Lou's song Dirty Boulevard is a lost classic!!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:31

lost?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 12, 2009 04:35

I just mean I never hear it anywhere or hear anyone talking about it.

Date: January 12, 2009 04:44

I think it's acknowledged as one of his most popular tunes. The crowd roars whenever he plays it in concert--which, being him, is not at every show.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 12, 2009 12:40

What's Lou up to these days? I know he signed a deal with Sanctuary a while back, and he was meant to have written, if not recorded, a "rock album" for them, but now he's saying there isn't a new album in the works. Be a great shame if The Raven is Lou's last album.

I'd also heard that WB were going to reissue New York in an expanded version, and that the WB back catalogue was going to be remastered ... Guess that's all on hold. Or simply not happening.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 12, 2009 13:01

I love Lou's first solo album. I don't understand why it's not more popular.

Posted by: gerrox ()
Date: January 12, 2009 17:32

just a quick one re what's Lou up to these days. His website has the latest album 'metal machine trio-the creation of the universe' for purchase posted there exclusively. I plan to get it tonight even tho it may 'just' be a recent live show of experimental music only. I think what Lou has done throughout his career is just as much sounds- perfecting, feedbacking, droning, tightening em all up, as the words and great songwriting are.

from www.loureed.org :

Statement of Purpose

We have formed a recording unit Called BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE. We intend to put out different types of my music - from industrial to meditative to songs and all subway stops in between. Our first release is a live recording of 2 great nights live at the REDCAT in L.A. THE CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE. You can download it at various qualities as per your download taste. We include some pics by me. We will be putting it out as A2X CD for the New Year but for now for your holiday - CREATE! --Lou Reed

there have been a couple of tracks recently on film soundtracks etc but no news yet of ye grande meisterwerk. tho nice to read he plans more soundworks incl industrial!

Date: January 12, 2009 18:14

Zack

maybe because it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can? And doing inferior versions of songs the Velvet Underground had done wonderfully doesn't help, though at the time few people would have known those alternative versions.

but for me, that's one of his worst albums. Thank goodness Bowie stepped in to really start his career with Transformer. I wonder what would have happened to Lou Reed if Bowie hadn't done that?

Date: January 12, 2009 18:26

cc
Zack

maybe because it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can? And doing inferior versions of songs the Velvet Underground had done wonderfully doesn't help, though at the time few people would have known those alternative versions.

but for me, that's one of his worst albums. Thank goodness Bowie stepped in to really start his career with Transformer. I wonder what would have happened to Lou Reed if Bowie hadn't done that?
Is this a joke?

Its Lou Reed man! He'd have been fine... Me thinks you overstate the importance of production...(hats off to Bowie but come on its Lou Reed)

Saw him last year the night before the above mentioned Richmond show..quite a thrill.. i stood a few feet from the guy...

Date: January 12, 2009 18:30

gerrox
just a quick one re what's Lou up to these days. His website has the latest album 'metal machine trio-the creation of the universe' for purchase posted there exclusively. I plan to get it tonight even tho it may 'just' be a recent live show of experimental music only. I think what Lou has done throughout his career is just as much sounds- perfecting, feedbacking, droning, tightening em all up, as the words and great songwriting are.

from www.loureed.org :

Statement of Purpose

We have formed a recording unit Called BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE. We intend to put out different types of my music - from industrial to meditative to songs and all subway stops in between. Our first release is a live recording of 2 great nights live at the REDCAT in L.A. THE CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE. You can download it at various qualities as per your download taste. We include some pics by me. We will be putting it out as A2X CD for the New Year but for now for your holiday - CREATE! --Lou Reed

there have been a couple of tracks recently on film soundtracks etc but no news yet of ye grande meisterwerk. tho nice to read he plans more soundworks incl industrial!

Thanks for this HIGHLY informative post sir! Can you do me - and us other Lou fans - on here a big favour and let us know what you think of the MMM album you're downloading? That way I'll know whether or not to get it.

Date: January 12, 2009 18:38

no worries, will post bak. tho i am prob going to be liking it considering I just can't get enuf of the 75 MMM album (damn where are the outtakes?!) and also the live version! I guess this latest is similar to the 'hudson river wind meditations' which came out 2 yrs ago a set that is very erm conducive. that one's on itunes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-12 18:39 by gerrox.

Date: January 12, 2009 18:41

stoned in washington dc
Is this a joke?

Its Lou Reed man! He'd have been fine... Me thinks you overstate the importance of production...(hats off to Bowie but come on its Lou Reed)

but he's not "Lou Reed" on the first solo album, Lou Reed. At that time, he was saying things like he wanted to just be a rhythm guitar player, he liked basic rock and roll... and that album proves it. You can't go by his reputation today and think that he had the same stature then, when the VU was not so legendary, just unknown.

Date: January 12, 2009 18:45

gerrox
I just can't get enuf of the 75 MMM album (damn where are the outtakes?!) and also the live version!

outtakes? There are no outtakes. To make the whole album, it probably took only a few minutes longer than it does to play the record. He just got some noises going and manipulated them to tape. I really like it too, but don't believe the grand claims for its composition... I think he's careful nowadays not to say how he really made it, when there are goofballs who treat it like a masterpiece.

and yeah, these days he's doing mainly improv appearances with people like John Zorn. Nikolai, did you know there's a live record of Reed, Zorn, with Laurie Anderson--from Zorn's club in NYC. It's pretty good, and I imagine this new album is similar. It doesn't seem like he wants to get in the studio or write songs any time soon.

Date: January 12, 2009 18:48

cc
stoned in washington dc
Is this a joke?

but he's not "Lou Reed" on the first solo album, Lou Reed. At that time, he was saying things like he wanted to just be a rhythm guitar player, he liked basic rock and roll... and that album proves it. You can't go by his reputation today and think that he had the same stature then, when the VU was not so legendary, just unknown.

lou reed is an artist..he's always changing.. If youlook at the Velvets and compare Loaded to the first album (banana) , for example, its totally different.. both are masterpieces by the way..

Its clear that he never would have continued recording in the same style for very long because he has never done so..we can certainly see that in retrospect!

Date: January 12, 2009 19:32

stoned in washington dc
lou reed is an artist..he's always changing.. If youlook at the Velvets and compare Loaded to the first album (banana) , for example, its totally different.. both are masterpieces by the way..

yeah, but Loaded is much more of a conventional, less distinctive rock album than the first, albeit with several great songs. Between Cale and Bowie, Lou Reed lost effective collaborators who could turn his self-taught primitivism into something interesting.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: January 12, 2009 21:45

Anyone see any of the Velvets reunion gigs? I was at Wembley Arena. They were superb. The songs that can wear a bit thin in your living room (Venus in Furs, Sister Ray, etc) were totally gripping - really hypnotic, in a way it's impossible to get on your stereo at home. So much charisma coming off Reed and Cale especially, not to mention Mo Tucker's drumming (weird and mesmerising).

Date: January 12, 2009 21:48

gerrox
no worries, will post bak. tho i am prob going to be liking it considering I just can't get enuf of the 75 MMM album (damn where are the outtakes?!) and also the live version! I guess this latest is similar to the 'hudson river wind meditations' which came out 2 yrs ago a set that is very erm conducive. that one's on itunes

I've got Hudson River WM. Superb stuff. MM I have, but I really can't listen to it. Ditto the Zeitkrazer version. I'm still unsure if it's not really one big joke, that album, which Lou - to his bemusement - has played along with (literally).

Date: January 12, 2009 22:24

cc
stoned in washington dc

yeah, but Loaded is much more of a conventional, less distinctive rock album than the first, albeit with several great songs. Between Cale and Bowie, Lou Reed lost effective collaborators who could turn his self-taught primitivism into something interesting.

LOADED is a perfect rock and roll album.. I just listened to it over the holidays and every song on it is a corker..The fact that its not "WEIRD" does not make it any less great.

Date: January 12, 2009 22:42

Nikolai
I've got Hudson River WM. Superb stuff. MM I have, but I really can't listen to it. Ditto the Zeitkrazer version. I'm still unsure if it's not really one big joke, that album, which Lou - to his bemusement - has played along with (literally).

MMM i'm happy to take as it is, relentless fast sounds loud and mechanical oh and tuneless too. a great slab of groundbreaking perfection in my book. like a window to the void. the live one amazes me because people are actually creating it and the energy multiplies! i'm glad it's out there joke or not, like an untamed exploding blob where rules dare not go.

Well I listened and now here's my thoughts on 'creation of the universe'. if my response to lou's latest seems very odd or OTT it cant be helped. prepare to be amazed amigos. the sounds are very pure and live and clearly happening together intandem, unlike most sound works which are layers built up over time by maybe one musician or non musician.

At times the guitar sound, the feedback, the many groans, the sheer force of sound hitting you are very Velvet Underground. also reminded me soundwise of the guitar surge 'Dorita' opening to magic and loss or even soundwise some of the live street hassle jammin on the '78 boots.

I was expecting a piece akin to 'hudson river wind meditations' which was similar to some of brian eno's very long pieces, the kind that reflects on surroundings and enhances and relaxes and gives room for inspiration. But this album 'creation of the universe' is more complex with a LOT more happening and frequently changing. it's a cacaphonia in parts but always with a forward surge movement that's not unlike the durging at dawn feel of VU's 'all tommorows parties'. some of the sax playing is sublime and floating over what sounds like some painful sawing of floorboards metals animals and plastics! The title though really does suit, are these the sounds of interstellar stuffs solidifying melting exploding drifting at sonic speeds towards nothing? could well be and I think I love it. If you are familiar with Royal Trux's Twin infinitives (the most out there of em all), crazy Beefheart jamming or even Coltrane on full throttle this goes down a treat.

Looking forward to more of this freshness which will sound something new at each playing, when the mood suits. This is not for every Lou Reed fan by any stretch. curious to imagine what John Cale thinks and would he join Lou on such solely instrumental excursions anytime soon? It must be very freeing for Lou Reed not to be stuck in song world all the time and to be honest this rocks my boat more than songs of old balls shrinkin up (see the Raven)!

2nd disc is very nightmarish and gothic despair, is this how frankenstein feels while hiding from the mob? how NYC really looks to Lou at 5am? the sound of slayer at 1 rpm? whatever it sounds is futuristic.

so if this feedback seems odd, erm i'd love to know what anyone else make's of it winking smiley

Date: January 14, 2009 00:27

What is baffling and an absolute crime IMO is that many Lou reed's albums are out of print.
"Rock;n Roll heart" is impossible to find, and even worse "Street Hassle" a brilliant album - is next to impossible to find too. (The Bells, Lou Reed)

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: January 14, 2009 00:29

I agree. For some reason all of Lou's 70s albums are remastered, except Street Hassle, I've never heard it, but always hear how great it is.

Date: January 14, 2009 03:50

DH, have you been able to find R&R Heart? and yes - hassle is great. Title track alone is worth the price.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 14, 2009 09:00

>"Rock;n Roll heart" is impossible to find, and even worse "Street Hassle" a brilliant album - is next to impossible to find too.

That's funny, I just bought both in the past coupla months. Check Amazon retailers (though be cautions in regards to SH -- mine was the old one *not* the more recent remaster of the description; but I'm fairly sure I've already sulked about that on this board).

As far as more recent Lou, don't miss the live BERLIN performance released on DVD/CD last year -- ESSENTIAL for Lou fans!

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 14, 2009 10:17

Most of Lou Reed's albums are easily available (even metal machine music), maybe not in your local store...

Thanks for all the comments so far!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home