Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guitar Pick Question
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 7, 2008 19:47

This is the Keith pick I was referring to before...

It was given to me by my buddy from art school, who had staggered my imagination after we both ended up in NYC in the Eighties...
First he became assistant to a well-known photographer who was selected to shoot the Stones...
Then my friend called me one day to tell me that the Stones are in your neighborhood (East Village) shooting a video and get over here NOW!

I feel like the boy who cried wolf here... cause half the time here I'm kidding around (like the fake Brian Jones pick or the fake MT action figure)...
but as you must realize, the other half of the time, I am NOT kidding around (Attic thread, e.g.). And I am not kidding this time.

The pick is quite ordinary looking. Its edge feels surprising rough and it is much thinner than I expect Keith would have been using.

I should have posted a scan of this a while ago... with all those other pictures.
(The roach is long gone... )

Speaking of Mick Taylor ... And since I'm scanning olde Stones' picks
(I only have these 2!)...

This one I got in the Eighties when I went to see Mick Taylor at The Bottom Line.
After the show, I asked a roadie for one of MT's picks and he gave me this... I can't be sure if MT actually used it or not...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 19:53 by schillid.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 7, 2008 20:06

The value of a pick is like the value of a kiss. If you get it personally it is ok but if you have to pay money for it then it is very different. Also, you may steal a kiss and then the value is not the same even if somebody gave it to you by love. Believe me, I go to many shows, and I know how picks are handled. If you pay for picks you are wasting money. The crew hand them out if you know them. You can get them in many ways, and you can earn them, by being at a show, making eye contact with the band, and having them coming flying as a personal souvenir to you. Also, like stamps, if there are too many of them, like stamps from some banned nations, the value is not the same anymore. Personally I do have a few picks, and they do all come with a story, i.e. who sent them off to me, during what song, city etc.

Bjornulf

Posted by: AlanPowell ()
Date: August 7, 2008 20:58

Wow, you got me thinking. I thought that I was doing well with 10 picks (we used to call them plecs in the good old days....).
2 x Red KEEF RIFF HARD - Urban Jungle UK dates
2 x Red TRAIL OF TERROR - the faded one I caught at Wino's Marquee Club 2/12/92
Red KEITH RICHARDS with MAIN OFFENDER on the reverse
2 x Yellow THE ROLLING STONES
Blue THE ROLLING STONES picked up off the floor after a show but can't remember which show!
Blue RONNIE WOOD with NOT FOR BEGINNERS on the reverse
Yellow Ronnie Wood (upper and lower case) with NOT FOR BEGINNERS on the reverse from the Ron Wood and Friends 2001 tour.
Maybe I'd swap the duplicates to another fan but I would not sell.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:15

Gotta agree with BV. I have only a few picks and a string from Mick's guitar but they were each given to me and have special memories for that reason. It wouldn't be the same if I bought them.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 7, 2008 21:32

I agree with BV too
The ones I have are just ordinary picks, except for my memory

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 7, 2008 22:17

So, I guess I can assume the Bible I bought on Ebay signed
by Jesus H. Christ is bogus ?

Posted by: darkstar212 ()
Date: August 7, 2008 23:55

Thanks for this post mattleeuk! Very interesting stuff. I guess my 2 picks from Shine a Light are worth a lot, Although, I'd never sell them. I caught the first one after Satisfaction the first night of the Beacon. I then caught another Keith pick the next night after Brown Sugar. On the DVD you can see Keith flick his pick at the end of the song. It cuts to another angle then cuts back to the crowd. You can see a couple people rise off the floor. They were looking for the pick which I had caught. You can see me tell them to get up as I caught the pick. That pick is really chewed up. Keith just destoyed it playing so hard. Just wish the camera had caught me catching the picks both nights. It really was something. Like catching a fly with chopsticks.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 8, 2008 00:27

When I went to a Morrissey concert, the only thing I caught was hepatitis

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 8, 2008 09:58

schillid

The pick is quite ordinary looking. Its edge feels surprising rough and it is much thinner than I expect Keith would have been using.

I was surprised by how light a pick Keith uses too.
I only have one recent example. Has he always used the same med/thin picks ?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 9, 2008 03:43

and now that i cut my original post about the value of guitar picks from the other thread, i over-wrote the cut and have lost it
ok, here is my attempted re-write:

just cuz some people value picks ONLY because they have a personal connection to it -- were given it at a show by a Stone or roadie, caught it, were given it after the show, whatever

DOES NOT mean that picks COLLECTED are not valuable and I do not necessarily mean valuable in the economic sense, but in the personal gratification sense (yes also economically but that is not my focus)

if u are a collector, say, and u are trying to put together a complete set of the 06 city picks, there is no way u can do this even if u go to nearly every show like BV,

u will ineveitably have to buy or trade for others that you may want or the others u need to fill in a complete set if that is your particular goal

i still enjoy the picks i bought. So long as I know they are authentic, who cares??

I enjoy collecting and of course I prefer picks that are given to me free by members or affiliates of the band, but I have not been so lucky as say, my young daughter who has received 4 picks: 2 Keiths from Tony Russell, 1 Ronnie from a hotel employee who had just been given it by Mick, and 1 from Micks guitar tech at the O2. damn her anyway (though she did give me one of the Keiths she got).

But, I enjoy both the free "personal" ones as well as those I have acquired by trade or purchase.

BTW, I have a Berlin 06 city pick to trade or sell, tim_bernardis@hotmail.com.

p

Date: August 9, 2008 03:49

Re: Where is the Thread on Stones Guitar Picks?
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 8, 2008 17:24

Tim, I couldn't agree more, I share your disagreement with BV on "value" of picks. BV is right in that ones given to someone personally are "worth" more. Although it should be noted they are only "worth" more to that person. That does not mean though that you are "wasting your money" if you buy one. Hundreds of auctions and sales have proven that authentic guitar picks have a value. Would anyone here buy a Keith used Gibson Les Paul guitar or would that only be worth something if you were given it?

I am in the very lucky position to have been given many things by members of a little know British rock band we all spend so long following in our various ways. Those items are indeed "worth" more to me, infact many, many times more than they are "worth" to anyone else!

Probably the nearest comparision is autographs. Getting one yourself is a very special and "worth" many times the value (to you) of one you have paid for but it doesn't make the paid for one worthless! The values that we talk about here are totally different. A purchased item is measured in $, a given item is measured in emotion, memories etc... they can't be measured on the same scale.

Matt

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 9, 2008 04:39

I'm 50/50 on this. I see both of your points, bv - matt & tim.

the only Keith plectrum I had (Trail of Terror), I used it myself and shredded it.
I didn't get it from Keith's hand anyway.
Used strings, from the Stones or not, are for the garbage can - for me.
same for Charlie's drum sticks - I wouldn't have a decent space at my place for that kind of rubbish, but of course it may be the other ones treasure.

collecting Guitars is something completly different. I have quite a few, but none of Keith's, unfortunatly....

priceless, was Charlie's drum-stick-throw in Frankfurt, that hit me on the head.
I didn't catch it, just snapped a picture of it - but had literately a week's worth'a horny head of it.

Date: August 9, 2008 04:42

what the hell is a plectrum anyway

hear the term all the time

p

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 9, 2008 04:57

timbernardis
what the hell is a plectrum anyway

hear the term all the time

p

what you collect - what I use and waste spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Often called a pick or plec, a plectrum is a small flat tool used to pluck or strum a stringed instrument. For guitars and similar instruments, the plectrum is a separate tool held in the player's hand.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 10, 2008 13:32

OT(?)-Pick smiling smiley

Only £3,50 pp eye rolling smiley
( for sale in "Sticky Fingers" that is)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-10 13:56 by Harm.

Posted by: stonesPickzz ()
Date: March 28, 2012 22:37

Hey, let me know if anyone has any Stones picks for trade/sell? Email me at - guitarpickzz@aol.com

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 29, 2012 13:48

what could I expect for my 2002 Enmore Theatre pick I caught from Keith ?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home