Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mercy Mercy - unidentified vers.
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: May 27, 2008 15:17

Here I am again with a new doubt. Just found this Mercy Mercy version:

[www.mediafire.com]

It's not the studio session. I compared with Shindig TV and Yeh Yeh radio program but if you check the intro this version has 4 riffs before the vocals start while both Shindig and Yeh Yeh have only two riffs. Then the vocals look thesame of Yeh Yeh, although the radio-speaker is missing and the speed is slower.

Apart Shindig and Yeh Yeh, Mercy was played only at Ready Steady Goes Live in August 1965 but this version never circulated. By exclusion, I think it could be this one.

If you have time and want to help me to find out where this version comes from...

Re: Mercy Mercy - unidentified vers.
Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: May 27, 2008 23:37

Interesting...
Doesn't match any version that I have although sounds familiar to the "Yeah Yeah" version...
...extra riffs and the vocal starts with "Mercy" rather than "Have Mercy"...

??

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: May 28, 2008 05:56

Well well, this one's interesting. It's not RSG at all. RSG was live & the crowd was very prominent & frantic esp. the screams of the girls they made sure were there whenever the Stones played, it made for good TV.

This is the BBC radio version & is on 'Beat Beat at the Beeb', date on the cd is Aug 30 1965 altho that may have been the broadcast date as Martin Elliot has a recording date of Aug 20.

HOWEVER, yes, this one's a bit different than Beeb. It's definitely the same recording but the one on Beeb only has 2 riffs at the beginning over which the announcer introdeces the track, masking the splice where they cut out 2 riffs.

Where did you get this is the important question, I thought Beeb was the ultimate BBC radio compilation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-28 10:00 by vox12string.

Date: May 28, 2008 11:21

I got it from DIME some months ago but never had time to listen carefully. Now I'm trying to compare all the possible versions of each track in the period 1962-1966 and sometimes I make blunders like last week with Now I've got a witness, but also happens to find tracks like this one.

Here is the text from the DIME and Mercy is indicated as Yeh Yeh Radio Program:

The Rolling Stones
BBC Sessions 1963-65

-Transferred from cassette and vinyl sources. Although sound quality varies this is very enjoyable.
Tracks 1 through 3 from "Saturday Club", recorded and transmitted October 26, 1963
Tracks 4 through 6 from "Saturday Club", recorded and transmitted February 18, 1964
Tracks 7 through 10 from "Rhythm & Blues", recorded March 19, 1964, transmitted May 9, 1964
Tracks 11 through 14 from "Saturday Club", recorded April 13, 1964, transmitted April 18, 1964
Tracks 19 through 21 from "Top Gear", recorded March 1, 1965, transmitted March 6, 1965
Tracks 22 through 28 recorded August 20, 1965, transmitted on "Yeh Yeh", August 30, 1965 and "Saturday Club", September 18, 1965
Track 28 mastered from the "History Of The BBC" special

1. Come On
2. Memphis Tennessee
3. Roll Over Beethoven
4. Don't Lie To Me
5. You Better Move On
6. Not Fade Away
7. Route 66
8. Cops And Robbers
9. You Better Move On
10. Mona (I Need You Baby)
11. I Just Want To Make Love To You
12. Walking The Dog
13. High Heeled Sneakers
14. Carol
15. If You Need Me
16. I Can't Be Satisfied
17. Crackin' Up
18. Around And Around
19. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
20. The Last Time
21. Down The Road Apiece
22. Fanny Mae
23. 2120 South Michigan Avenue
24. Oh Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin')
25. Cry To Me
26. Mercy Mercy
27. Satisfaction
28. Satisfaction

Date: May 28, 2008 11:26

I also found a different version of IAON; give me some days to compare it carefully with all the other IAON in my list and I come back to you.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:18

HI,
The IAON version could be the lesser known rehearsal version of July 17 1964 (Joe Loss Show), as on the VGP cd The lost treasure. This is knowledge from the books and not by comparing/listening to the versions you are writing about.
Alex.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:25

Could the Mercy mercy version be a fraud, i.e. a home made edit? I have seen other socalled extended versions of Stones tracks. I remember a Honky tonk woman with an extended intro. It's nowadays not very complicated to fabricate such edit ourselves.
Alex.

Date: May 28, 2008 12:46

Everything possible; also this hypothesis: although the fonts report that Mercy was aired only at the Yeh Yeh, we know that the other tracks, same versions, were aired at the Saturday Club.
Now, let's suppose that Mercy as well was aired at both programs, we have the one with the radio speaker belonging to the Yeh Yeh and the one without radio speaker belonging to Saturday Club.

It remains to understand the difference of the 4 riffs in the intro. Why Yeh Yeh should have cut two riffs from the Saturday Club version?

Date: May 28, 2008 13:15

With regard to the Joe Loss Program, the versions included in this CD that I downloaded from DIME: i.e.: 1963-1965 Rolling Stones at the BBC, have the introduction of Mick Jagger in If you need me and Carol.
In Carol Mick says "And this is Carol, yeah!" and in If you need me, he says " And now, as Brian's changing his guitar, we'd like to do a very particular version of If you need me". I had not these introductions in my other versions.

Date: May 28, 2008 13:20

this is If you need me , Joe Loss , with Jagger intro:

[www.mediafire.com]

Date: May 28, 2008 13:23

... and this is Carol, Joe Loss, with intro:

[www.mediafire.com]

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 28, 2008 18:32

alexander paul
Could the Mercy mercy version be a fraud, i.e. a home made edit? I have seen other socalled extended versions of Stones tracks. I remember a Honky tonk woman with an extended intro. It's nowadays not very complicated to fabricate such edit ourselves.
Alex.
I would agree. The beginning is edited and a part from the middle of the song is pasted in to cover the speaker. But it's done nicely!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home