Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NEWLY "discovered" 1968 Stones cover - "My Home Is A Prison"
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 12, 2007 00:45

I spent some time today with some bad recordings trying to clean them up. One such notorious recording that bothers me is the 1968 Surrey Rehearsal tape.

As anyone familiar with the tape is aware, there are speed and severe EQ issues with this 'room recording,' often making it a challenging listen at best.

I've done some work on the overall speed of the tape, and also messed with the EQ to make it a bit more listenable. I may post the entire tape soon.

As many know there are several 'songs' that the Stones jam on where Mick is singing barely audible lyrics. Incredibly frustrating.

The "Hold On, I'm Coming!" is fairly easy to recognize and correctly identify.
Ditto with the intro. to "Rock Me Baby" (which is dulicated on my copy of the tape).

On Nico Zentgraff's "The Complete Works" website, he lists "Shoot My Baby" by Jimmy Reed one of the songs rehearsed.
As a typical Reed 12-bar blues I, honestly, don't hear it anywhere -- unless Nico's got a different tape.
But the lyric "shoot my baby" does turn up on the first song on the tape, which is a 12-bar.

Nico identifies this first song as "I'm Coming Home" -- apparently a traditional blues song.
I couldn't find any lyrics online, so I listened to the few lyric phrases that are audible by Mick in the early portion of the song.

Ultimately, a web search led me to the lyrics of Slim Harpo's "My Home Is A Prison."!!!!
When you know the lyric, it is unmistakable that THIS is what he is singing.

At the :13 mark Mick comes in with the lyric "I shot my baby/ I did it because she treated me wrong"

Jagger, for some reason, doesn't repeat the verse in true blues fashion (or it's inaudible).

At the :42 mark he sings the final verse: "Now the only thing I have/This lonesome jail that I call home."

So here we have a newly corrected/documented Stones performance.

Here's a link to the track from the rehearsal tape that I've uploaded: [www.gigasize.com]

A link to the Slim Harpo lyrics: [www.gettherhythm.com]

And a link to Nico's site (you'll find the entry in 1968, Feb.): [www.nzentgraf.de]

Now if I could only clear up the other ones!!

J

Re: NEWLY "discovered" 1968 Stones cover - "My Home Is A Prison"
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 01:05

many thanks

Posted by: buffalo 81 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 01:06

thanx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-12 01:10 by buffalo 81.

Date: October 12, 2007 01:12

All three links worked for me.

J

Posted by: pancho1111 ()
Date: October 18, 2007 09:25

Thanks JMARKO,
and please post the entire tape when you can.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 18, 2007 10:48

Many many thanks from a grateful primate!

Date: October 18, 2007 10:52

A link to the entire tape can be found under this thread:

Do a search in this forum, you'll find it.

J

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 31, 2024 06:37

JMARKO
I spent some time today with some bad recordings trying to clean them up. One such notorious recording that bothers me is the 1968 Surrey Rehearsal tape.

As anyone familiar with the tape is aware, there are speed and severe EQ issues with this 'room recording,' often making it a challenging listen at best.

I've done some work on the overall speed of the tape, and also messed with the EQ to make it a bit more listenable. I may post the entire tape soon.

As many know there are several 'songs' that the Stones jam on where Mick is singing barely audible lyrics. Incredibly frustrating.

The "Hold On, I'm Coming!" is fairly easy to recognize and correctly identify.
Ditto with the intro. to "Rock Me Baby" (which is dulicated on my copy of the tape).

On Nico Zentgraff's "The Complete Works" website, he lists "Shoot My Baby" by Jimmy Reed one of the songs rehearsed.
As a typical Reed 12-bar blues I, honestly, don't hear it anywhere -- unless Nico's got a different tape.
But the lyric "shoot my baby" does turn up on the first song on the tape, which is a 12-bar.

Nico identifies this first song as "I'm Coming Home" -- apparently a traditional blues song.
I couldn't find any lyrics online, so I listened to the few lyric phrases that are audible by Mick in the early portion of the song.

Ultimately, a web search led me to the lyrics of Slim Harpo's "My Home Is A Prison."!!!!
When you know the lyric, it is unmistakable that THIS is what he is singing.

At the :13 mark Mick comes in with the lyric "I shot my baby/ I did it because she treated me wrong"

Jagger, for some reason, doesn't repeat the verse in true blues fashion (or it's inaudible).

At the :42 mark he sings the final verse: "Now the only thing I have/This lonesome jail that I call home."

So here we have a newly corrected/documented Stones performance.

Here's a link to the track from the rehearsal tape that I've uploaded: [www.gigasize.com]

A link to the Slim Harpo lyrics: [www.gettherhythm.com]

And a link to Nico's site (you'll find the entry in 1968, Feb.): [www.nzentgraf.de]

Now if I could only clear up the other ones!!

J

Very cool to read about!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: February 1, 2024 02:21

very cool but I get a 404 link not found message for the gigasize track. ??

Date: February 1, 2024 03:01

quietbeatle
very cool but I get a 404 link not found message for the gigasize track. ??

The link is 16 years old, as is the story. The track can be found on any copy of the Surrey Rehearsals.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2024 10:09

And I would suggest you get the nice upgrade of this tape shared by Wazza50 a few years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home