Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question re. Torrenting
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 1, 2007 04:20

I'm using Azureus, anyone know what those numbers in brackets mean? It says there are seeds & peers but I'm getting nothing. I've checked all sorts of FAQ pages but no explanation for those bracketed numbers

Re: Question re. Torrenting
Posted by: pancho1111 ()
Date: February 1, 2007 05:55

If you pass slowly the mouse pointer over the numbers it should appear (it happens in mine) the explanation " 1 connected 66 in swarm "

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 1, 2007 07:16

OK, so why am I not connected to those 66?

Date: February 1, 2007 07:30

the answer its not simple, you can find lots of reasons here:
[www.azureuswiki.com]

Date: February 1, 2007 08:09

in the status bar at the bottom I see you have some IP's 0-0/1/1 banned, maybe better if double click on it and reset banning them...

Posted by: drake ()
Date: February 1, 2007 08:43

There is a setting called 'maximum connections per torrent' and 'maximum number of upload slots'. Set those higher and you'll connect to more computers in the swarm. BTW, I highly suggest you switch to uTorrent.

-Drake

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: February 1, 2007 09:46

Drake,

Why is uTorrent better than Azureus?

sjouke

Date: February 1, 2007 10:16

1. The uTorrent program is only 170KB. Smallest standalone torrent program. No installer needed. Just download it and run it.

2. uTorrent can do anything Azareus or any other program can do, including the creation of torrents.

3. Azareus is a memory hog. It will use vast amounts of memory to do what uTorrent does 3MB of your memory. (When I last used Azareus it used about 30MB of ram and that was irritating.)

Its the firefox/openoffice.org of torrent programs. You should give it a shot.

-Drake

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: February 1, 2007 12:22

drake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. The uTorrent program is only 170KB. Smallest
> standalone torrent program. No installer needed.
> Just download it and run it.
>
> 2. uTorrent can do anything Azareus or any other
> program can do, including the creation of
> torrents.
>
> 3. Azareus is a memory hog. It will use vast
> amounts of memory to do what uTorrent does 3MB of
> your memory. (When I last used Azareus it used
> about 30MB of ram and that was irritating.)
>
> Its the firefox/openoffice.org of torrent
> programs. You should give it a shot.

uTorrent could be as good as azureus, but saying that I (or anybody) should use it because it's size is only 170Kb makes no sense. I am sure most of us have hard discs with capacity over 100 gigabytes. I really couldn't care less if my torrent client is 170Kb or 170Mb. How much it needs RAM is of course much serious thing, but I haven't met any difficulties with Azureus so far, and I have use it long time. I have 1GB RAM in my PC. About other featues I will say nothing.

I could honestly say that there are very rare free softwares which I am as satisfied as azureus.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 1, 2007 15:10

I always thought that the number in the brackets represents the number of people who have the full torrent (seeders) or part of it (leechers), but are not currnetly online, or at least, you haven't connected to them yet.....

I've never had any problems with Azureus either btw....

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: February 2, 2007 03:46

The size of the program is one of many reasons. The fact that uTorrent is only 170kb is a testament to excellent programming. Right now I'm running uTorrent and its in full swing @ 320KB down and 60KB up, and its only using 4mb of ram. The program is just incredibly solid. It does everything the other programs do and has a much simpler architecture.

I used Azareus for about a year before I switched to uTorrent. Azareus is a great program and if you're happy with it then by all means stick with it. I'm just sharing my testimony as a convert, in the same way that I converted from IE to Firefox a century ago.

The number in the brackets is the grand total amount of seeders/leechers who are online. The number not in the brackets is how many of them you are actually connecting to. If you are having problems connecting or getting consistently slow speeds you might want to check your port forwarding. If you haven't forwarded ports, or have a firewall setup, your connection wont list as "clever". You want to be "clever".

-Drake

Posted by: Shotaway2 ()
Date: February 2, 2007 04:38

I also switched from Azureus to uTorrent after a year. Azureus worked, but it really slowed down my weaker computer and it frequently crashed. My ISP also figured out a way to limit my torrenting speeds and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ran uTorrent, selected the encryption option, and all has been well for months now. It's a great, simple program.

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: February 2, 2007 09:28

Ok, I will try uTorrent myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home