Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
POST: recently discovered VOODOO LOUNGE sessions (FP 137)
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: January 25, 2024 09:55

recently discovered
VOODOO LOUNGE sessions (FP 137)
In 2024 we will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the VOODOO LOUNGE album!
This new project is about to do a supplement to the sessions already posted (Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew, Voodoo Residue, Voodoo Lounge Writing Sessions) based on the new tracks and takes that appeared in recent years.
These new tracks are coming from Glimmerman, Leeroy Strange Leaks, The Fully Finished Studio Outtakes, Imthemastah's recent video upload (see FP 136) and previously overseen snippets that appeared here and there.
A big thank you the people who shared their recordings and to my two accomplices nzb and BlueTurns2Grey for their help, advice and inspiration... and therefore without whom this project would not have been possible.
CD1:
Part I: First recordings for the upcoming album Voodoo Lounge:
9th July - 6th August 1993: St. Kildare, Ireland, Sandymount Studios (RW’s house).
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Don Smith.
01 - You Got Me Rocking I -take 1 with KR on piano and allegedly Vinnie Karslake on bass
(coming from “Leeroy Strange Leaks”)

Part II: Other recordings for the upcoming album Voodoo Lounge:
3rd November - 11th December 1993: Dublin, Ireland, Windmill Lane Recording.
Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Don Smith.
02 - Ivy League III -with vocals
(coming from ‘Fully Finished Studio Outtakes’)
03 - Alright Charlie III -with vocals
(coming from Glimmerman)
04 - Hands Off II -with audible vocals
(coming from ‘Fully Finished Studio Outtakes’)

Part III: Title to be confirmed, might come from another session.
30th April/mid-May 1993: St. Philip, Barbados, West Indies, Blue Wave Studios. Writing and demo sessions by MJ (voc, gtr, keyb, bass), KR (gtr, voc, keyb),
05 - Don’t Want Somebody Else
(coming from “Leeroy Strange Leaks”)

Part IV: snippets from Windmill Lane sessions used on promotional videos:
06 - medley: Blinded By Rainbows – Anything For You – guitar riffs – drum solos - Moon Is Up - I Go Wild – Love Is Strong
(I kept only the musical parts with exception for ‘Moon Is Up’)

Part V: Voodoo Lounge tracks snippets from rehearsals in Toronto (mid 1994)
07 - medley: Brand New Car - You Got me Rocking – I Go Wild - Sparks Will Fly – Love Is Strong (with interview extracts) and as bonus 2, out of topic, extracts from Shattered (coming from: ‘Voodoo Lounge Special’ & EPK videos)

Part VI: snippets from the Voodoo Lounge CD-ROM
08 - medley: Hey Hey #1 (RW on guitar) - Hey Hey #2 (RW on guitar, Lisa Fischer) - 32-20 Blues (KR & RW on guitars) - instrumental (MJ on harmonica) - instrumental jam (MJ on harmonica, RW on guitar)
(coming from ‘Voodoo Lounge CD-ROM’ recorded around December 11, 1994, at Video Studio in Minneapolis).

Bonus:
09 - You Got It Made (bvoc overdub) -KR & RW bvoc overdubs (rebuilt)
(collage using 7 musical extracts coming from the Voodoo Stew studio chat devoted to these overdubs)

CD2:
Part VII: Overdubbing and mixing for the upcoming album 'Voodoo Lounge'

15th January - 23rd April 1994: Los Angeles, California, Don Was’ private studio (Chomsky's Ranch) and A&M Recording Studios. Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineer: Don Smith. Additional musician: David McMurray (sax, flute)

01a - SPARKS WILL FLY seq 01 – guitar overdub. The version used is close to version 04 (with same KR laughter at the end) … but without bvoc, so probably anterior to #4
Note that the sequence started at 1’17 from the version #04!

01b - SPARKS WILL FLY seq 02 – banter & guitar overdub. This sequence contains the beginning of the previous overdub session!
01c - I decided to combine both sequences: only 1 sec is lost between both versions (at 1’16) - I also offer a merged version with the version #4 (01d)

02a - SPARKS WILL FLY seq 03 – guitar overdub. The version used is close to version 04: it’s the same version used on vid 01 (so without bvoc) …but the guitar overdubs are different I did a merged version to compare them (02b)

03a - SPARKS WILL FLY seq 04 – guitar overdub. The version used is the version 04 (the one with bvoc) and the guitar overdub is different to the previous. I did a merged version (03b).

04a - SPARKS WILL FLY seq 05 – guitar overdub. The version used is the version 04 (the one with bvoc) and the guitar overdub is different to the previous. I patched it with a 3 second patch from 1’06 to 1’09. I did a merged version (04b).

05 - BABY BREAK IT DOWN: the version used as basic track is version #3. Because the end is a little longer (the fadeout is shorter) I decided to keep it even there’s no overdub on it. I patched the gap at 0’10.
06 - YOU GOT ME ROCKING – sax overdub: seq 01 The basic used is a previously unknown version: more percussive with lots of piano. This song has different lyrics, they sound more confusing to me, so I think it can be anterior to the #4.

07 - YOU GOT ME ROCKING – sax overdub: seq 02 We have only the 2nd part of the song (started at around 2’). The basic used is another previously unknown version without bvoc but with lyrics more elaborated than on vid 01 and #4 and. For me it’s posterior to the one used in vid 01 but anterior to #5.
08a - YOU GOT ME ROCKING – sax overdub: seq 03. The source used is close to #5 (same lyrics) but without bvoc and guitar overdub… so anterior to #5 but posterior to the others.
I did a merged version with #5 (08b).
09a - SWEETHEARTS TOGETHER - flute overdub: the version used is the #5.
Note that seq 02 and 03 are identical to the end of the seq 1 (they only listen 3 times to the same flute overdub) I kept only seq 01.
09b - I did a partially merged version using the flute overdub from 1’14 to 3’06.

10a - SWEETHEARTS TOGETHER – soprano sax overdub: the version used is the #5
I did a merged version from #5 with and without the overdub (10b).

11a - IT’S FUNNY – sax overdub: the version used is the #3 but the video sequence starts at 0’47. I did a merge that shows that the version #3 is edited comparing to the basic track used here. At the end, version #3 is missing a 12 second sequence (at 3’06) and also the last 40 seconds. I did a merged version (11b).

Conclusions:
About “Sparks Will Fly” the version used for the 3 first guitar overdubs is different to the one we know as #4.
This version is anterior (without bvoc) so I propose to name this version #4, then the already known version will become version #5 and the version used in VOODOO LOUNGE version #6.

Some complementary notes:
About “Baby Break It Down”: the first seconds are coming from an unknown version with MJ saying, at 0’10, something like ‘get up’… before the gap.
About “You Got Me Rocking”: the versions used on the 3 sax overdubs are different from the known versions! (for more details see the inlay text!)

The red numbers correspond to the audio tracks.
I added as bonus (12) a merge from sequences 01 & 02 from ‘Sparks Will Fly’ so you can appreciate Don Was overdub choices.

As usual all the infos are coming from Nico Zentgraf's Rolling Stones Complete Works Database: [www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted in 2024 by StonyRoad at IORR [iorr.org]

link valid until 01/02/24
[we.tl]

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 09:59 by StonyRoad.

Re: POST: recently discovered VOODOO LOUNGE sessions (FP 137)
Posted by: gnillor ()
Date: January 25, 2024 10:21

Thank you. You seem to have endless energy for the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: January 25, 2024 10:42

thank you for all your work and this generosity that drives you! thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: January 25, 2024 10:56

Thank You

Posted by: Antonio218 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 11:12

Thanks a million Norbert

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: January 25, 2024 11:19

Thanks a lot - a very nice and useful collection of all those formerly dispersed tracks.

N

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: January 25, 2024 11:29

Thanks!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: January 25, 2024 12:18

whow - looks great.

Especially looking forward to YOU GOT IT MADE. Years ago there was a merge done by a fan, but he added an extra guitar, so it was kind of fake. This one is a new one without "extra"?

Thank you very much!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 25, 2024 12:21

Thank you very much, incredible energy and attention to detail indeed !

Talking of details, I remember a promotional video for VL where you could see Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Don Was listening to a playback of a brief vocal snippet of an instrumental track from Voodoo Brew CD3. Listened to VB again but can't remember for sure which one it was, "Untitled #3" ? Must have it saved somewhere...

EDIT - ok, found it it's on Voodoo Stew CD1, "Anything For You" (they sing "What it is, what it is) and you have it here of course ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 12:42 by gotdablouse.

Date: January 25, 2024 12:28

deardoctor
whow - looks great.

Especially looking forward to YOU GOT IT MADE. Years ago there was a merge done by a fan, but he added an extra guitar, so it was kind of fake. This one is a new one without "extra"?

Thank you very much!
no I only used the different segments and reconnected them: nothing added

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: January 25, 2024 12:46

Thank you very much !

Posted by: Amarant ()
Date: January 25, 2024 13:00

Thanks very much!!!

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 13:13

Thank you very much
smileys with beer

Posted by: RollstoDRSC ()
Date: January 25, 2024 13:29

I must thank you all who are involved in this great work!!
Awesome!!
..and we have 8 or more CDs of this great unbelievable Session!
Thanks so much!!
Best wishes!!
Cheers DRSC
Dieter

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 25, 2024 14:59

gotdablouse

Talking of details, I remember a promotional video for VL where you could see Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Don Was listening to a playback of a brief vocal snippet of an instrumental track from Voodoo Brew CD3. Listened to VB again but can't remember for sure which one it was, "Untitled #3" ? Must have it saved somewhere...

EDIT - ok, found it it's on Voodoo Stew CD1, "Anything For You" (they sing "What it is, what it is) and you have it here of course ;-)

Yes … starts with Keith singing “What’s reeeeeeaaally going on with you.” Good stuff.

Date: January 25, 2024 15:12

MelBelli
gotdablouse

Yes … starts with Keith singing “What’s reeeeeeaaally going on with you.” Good stuff.
is that not the 3rd snippet from the Windmill Lane on CD1, track 06?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 25, 2024 15:12

Too bad a version with full vocals never leaked, assuming it exists...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 25, 2024 15:33

smileys with beer

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: January 25, 2024 15:49

Thanks a lot!

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: January 25, 2024 17:10

THX

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 25, 2024 17:54

Thanks a lot Norbert and all involved!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 25, 2024 18:30

Thank you....

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: January 25, 2024 19:08

Thanks again Norbert and to the all the other contributors. thumbs up

Posted by: CaptainAcid ()
Date: January 25, 2024 20:22

Thank you

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: January 25, 2024 20:23

Yeah, another great gift from StonyRoad and everyone who contributed.
Thank you very much.
thumbs up

Posted by: gaizoku ()
Date: January 26, 2024 04:14

Thank you.

Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: January 28, 2024 08:59

Nice addition. Thank you.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: February 2, 2024 18:49

Norbert! Can you re-up this to WT, please?

I am a sucker for the VL sessions and I have missed out on this...

THANK YOU!

Posted by: stevem1950 ()
Date: February 9, 2024 19:25

I too missed this one and would appreciate a re-up.

Thank you

Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: February 10, 2024 04:23

Yes me too plz

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home