Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Looking for alternate take of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 6, 2023 23:30

There's a fantastic quality alt studio version of this on a great 90s Stones boot collection called Record Mirror.

Much obliged if someone can post a DL link for it.

Many thanks SD

Re: Looking for alternate take of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Posted by: opj ()
Date: April 7, 2023 15:50

There is a different version Hot rocks 1; London rekords 1982 germany.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 7, 2023 17:14

Sorry, I think none of the above is true...

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: April 7, 2023 17:26

Mastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
stereo version, accoustic guitar on left channel (if memory serves)

Date: April 7, 2023 19:19

The well known stereo version from the first German Hot Rocks CD has the acoustic guitar on the right channel, but that's probably only a channel swapping. But that's not really an alternate take I'd say.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 7, 2023 19:33

Maybe it is better to specify what quality is set for the term 'alt studio version'.

Is it
- different take?
- different mix?
- different master?

Because there are a lot of 'alt studio versions' all over the internet that are based on the mentioned above 'wide stereo mix' (that originated from tape transferred flat at the MFSL facility). But the final product is 'tweaked' by unknown bootleg 'mastering engineers' in terms of channel swap, equalization, compression and/or playback speed.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: April 7, 2023 23:30

Record Mirror has the ‘instrumental backing track’ version on several other bootlegs including DAC Bright Lights Big City

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 8, 2023 00:50

blakeeik

DAC Bright Lights Big City

DAC 194 - [www.dbboots.com] , [iorr.org] .

CD2:

16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [03:55] - 1965-05-10: Chess Studios, Chicago, IL, Studio Session
17. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [03:51] - 1965-05-12: RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA, Studio Session

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: April 8, 2023 01:59

Irix
CD2:
16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [03:55] - 1965-05-10: Chess Studios, Chicago, IL, Studio Session
17. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction [03:51] - 1965-05-12: RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA, Studio Session

Yes, Irix,
16 = instrumental (you can hear off-mike vocals in parts)
17 = stereo version

not sure if either qualifies as an "alternate take" but certainly noteworthy

Date: April 8, 2023 13:06

IMHO these are all the same track in some way and no alternate take. The commonly known mono version has everything in one channel, the stereo version has the instruments divided in two channels and the instrumental has the vocals lacking. But it's always the same recording. The only real alternate take is the BBC version.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 8, 2023 13:42

wiredallnight
IMHO these are all the same track in some way and no alternate take. The commonly known mono version has everything in one channel, the stereo version has the instruments divided in two channels and the instrumental has the vocals lacking. But it's always the same recording. The only real alternate take is the BBC version.
I'd like to second this statement. If you listen closely to "wide stereo" version from West German CD Hot Rocks 1 [London 820 141-2], you'll find two 'clicks' in the right channel at ~0:11 and ~0:13. Those clicks are always there and clearly heard on all stereo and mono versions of the track (but not on 2002 stereo remix/remaster from Hot Rocks 1964-1971 SACD-hybrid). Sometimes they migrate to the left channel in the case 'bootleg mastering engineers' swapped the channels winking smiley. Just check all those 'alt stereo mixes' from In Stereo 1964-67, Stereo Masters, Strictly Stereo, In Stereo 1964-1966 and other bootlegs. It is the same tape/recording but mastered differently (compression, equalization profiles) and/or with additional playback speed correction.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2023 16:05

Silver Dagger
There's a fantastic quality alt studio version of this on a great 90s Stones boot collection called Record Mirror.

Many thanks SD

I think this is what you are looking for:

[www.youtube.com]

May 10, 1965, Chess studio, with Brian on harmonica. They rejected this version and re-recorded it in LA two days later.

Mathijs

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 8, 2023 18:56

ironbelly
wiredallnight

I'd like to second this statement. If you listen closely to "wide stereo" version from West German CD Hot Rocks 1 [London 820 141-2], you'll find two 'clicks' in the right channel at ~0:11 and ~0:13. Those clicks are always there and clearly heard on all stereo and mono versions of the track (but not on 2002 stereo remix/remaster from Hot Rocks 1964-1971 SACD-hybrid). Sometimes they migrate to the left channel in the case 'bootleg mastering engineers' swapped the channels winking smiley. Just check all those 'alt stereo mixes' from In Stereo 1964-67, Stereo Masters, Strictly Stereo, In Stereo 1964-1966 and other bootlegs. It is the same tape/recording but mastered differently (compression, equalization profiles) and/or with additional playback speed correction.
'
There was a rumor of an 'unreleased stereo version of Satisfaction which was released to radio stations.' I never found any proof of an unreleased version of Satisfaction in stereo, just the Hot Rocks 1 (London CD) version, which was slightly altered by bootleggers.

I always wanted a clean copy of Satisfaction with Brian's harmonica playing as shown on TV (Shindig!). For me, that version of Satisfaction is the missing link from their early blues days to Satisfaction and what came afterward.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 9, 2023 17:52

The FileFactory link for DAC194 put up by Irix above, is showing as "malicious site do not visit" on my computer which has Norton protection.

So are the other links on the IORR page of DAC.

Therefore, would someone please post the 2 Satisfaction tracks to this thread for download please (the instrumental and the stereo).

Thank you.

Date: April 9, 2023 22:26

Kingbeebuzz

Therefore, would someone please post the 2 Satisfaction tracks to this thread for download please (the instrumental and the stereo).

Here's the complete DAC-194 from the above FileFactory link - [we.tl] .

Date: April 9, 2023 22:35

Kingbeebuzz

The FileFactory link for DAC194 put up by Irix above, is showing as "malicious site do not visit" on my computer which has Norton protection.

The 'malicious' behavior is quite normal for share hosts in free download mode .... lots of misleading advertising and spooky things to try to suggest you that you better buy a premium account.

But there's nothing wrong with the free FileFactory - maybe a bit too much 'spooky' than other share hosts, but if you know where to click and where not (to avoid the misleading things), it just works ok.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: April 10, 2023 12:46

Thank you Irix for taking your time to be so helpful........for the full DAC post and for the “malicious” tip.

Date: April 10, 2023 15:29

ironbelly
Maybe it is better to specify what quality is set for the term 'alt studio version'.

Is it
- different take?
- different mix?
- different master?

Because there are a lot of 'alt studio versions' all over the internet that are based on the mentioned above 'wide stereo mix' (that originated from tape transferred flat at the MFSL facility). But the final product is 'tweaked' by unknown bootleg 'mastering engineers' in terms of channel swap, equalization, compression and/or playback speed.

From memory - it sounds pretty different. Not just a switching of the stereo polarity.

Date: April 10, 2023 15:37

Mathijs
Silver Dagger

Many thanks SD

I think this is what you are looking for:

[www.youtube.com]

May 10, 1965, Chess studio, with Brian on harmonica. They rejected this version and re-recorded it in LA two days later.

Mathijs

It was definitely better quality than that. Studio quality. But thanks for your suggestion Mathijs.

Date: April 10, 2023 15:48

blakeeik
Record Mirror has the ‘instrumental backing track’ version on several other bootlegs including DAC Bright Lights Big City

Yes - it's this one. But it sounds different - or at least mixed differently with instruments brought up in the mix. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home