Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MSG 69 1st show - Question for the experts
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 17:00

Hi all, I am going crazy trying to sort out the various recordings in my collection.
I refer to Little Queenie and I am comparing the best sources of the MSG 28 1st show which, I think, are the ones included in the Gimme shelter bonus vdo, another from ina france.
You can find it here:
[www.youtube.com]

Recently the CD named GYYYO Complete Edition suppose to have the genuine tracks taken from acetates before the overdubbing.
The CD is this one:
[www.hotwacks.com]

Little queenie in this CD is also from MSG 1st show but differs from the video version. You can easily detect it listening to MJ singing after the solo.

Anybody has patience and can enlighten me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 17:01 by straycat58.

Re: MSG 69 1st show - Question for the experts
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: February 12, 2019 18:50

First thing that comes to my mind:
Why is my Stones collection not so well organized, that I can come up with a solution/correct answer within a minute?
Especially as the question that you posted is about the most important Stones tour!!

So I am not the expert, but I will give it a try:

Little Queenie on Ya-Ya's has vocal ( and gtr.? ) overdubs.
The GYYYO Complete Edition you are referring to comes with these overdubs too,
they took what they could get from Ya-Ya's,
only the supplements are from the acetate!
Hence the difference!?

Hope this helps.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 13, 2019 11:48

I remember seeing footage from what has to be the Gimme Shelter expanded edition or whatever they called it, of Mick and Keith overdubbing Little Queenie. So, that's where the accident happened. The only audio of the track extant would prolly be a bootleg.

P.S. And I vos just entirely annihilated that, "Noo Yawk City ya tawkalot let's have a look atcha!" was from the studio overdubs. Some things are just better not knowing. confused smiley

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: February 13, 2019 14:33

Keith wears a blue shirt in the 1st show of the 28th, so the video is legit. Not sure about the other one on hotwacks because I did not listen to it, but Rank is probably correct.

Date: February 13, 2019 14:41

After reading the description on the hotwacks site, I think the "Complete Version" refers to the fact that the missing 50 secs of SFTD was spliced in from the Glyns tape. I bet the rest of it is the overdubbed 40th Anniversary versions.

Date: February 14, 2019 12:31

As far as I understand of the three MSG shows, the incomplete one is the 28 1st and the tracks never circulated until now are: Midnight rambler & Love in vain.
The other 10 tracks are distributed on different CDs, some are soundboard and some poor audience recordings are included in "NYC You talk a lot": JJF, Carol, SFTD, SCB, Satisfaction and HTW.
1) Jumpin' Jack Flash - a soundboard version with Sam Cutler intro is included in Live in Baltimore 1969 & More. After Cutler intro, Jagger says: We gonna have a look at you, le't see how beutiful you are... NYC you talk a lot... Welcome to the breakfast show. Audience recording is on NYC You talk a lot.
2) Carol sbd is available on several sbd and on GYYYO Complete Edition. At the end of Carol is the girl shouting "paint it black you devil". Audience version is on NYC You talk a lot.
3) SFTD complete is now available sbd on GYYYO Complete edition and audience on NYC You talk a lot.
4) Stray cat blues is available sbd on GYYYO Compelte edition and audience on NYC You talk a lot.
5) Love in vain is not circulating. Prodigal son and You gotta move are not reported in any document. Have been played in the first show?
6) Under my thumb and I'm free are now available sbd on GYYYO 2009 Deluxe Edition but I'm free is incomplete.
7) Midnight rambler is not available on any CD
8) Little queenie: the audience version is not circulating. Two different sbd versions are available, one used for the promovideo and one on GYYYO complete edition. I don't know which one is the original and this is the object of my post above.
9) Satisfaction is available sbd on GYYYO Complete Edition
10) HTW: The sbd version included in GYYYYO Complete Edition is the Paris Boulevard one. The vocals are therefore overdubbed.
11) SFM: the sbd version is available on Shot Of Salvation CD and GYYYO Complete.

Quite a mess, isn't it?
Can you help me to sort it out?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-15 14:56 by straycat58.

Date: February 14, 2019 15:21

The only songs available from 11/28/69 1st are these (all are on Official Releases):

1 Jumpin' Jack Flash used in the film Gimme Shelter
2 Carol
3 Sympathy for the Devil
4 Stray Cat Blues
5 Under My Thumb used on the bonus DVD for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary)
6 I'm Free used on the bonus DVD for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary)
12 Little Queenie used on DVD bonus footage for Gimme Shelter
13 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction used on the bonus CD for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary)
15 Street Fighting Man

The track info for NYC You Talk A Lot is more wrong than right. Here are the tracks from it. It mixes in clips from all over. In my opinion, one should leave this alone.

1 L 1969-11-28-1 New York, NY: Jumpin' Jack Flash
2 L 1969-11-28-1 New York, NY: Carol
3 L 1969-11-28-1 New York, NY: Sympathy for the Devil
4 L 1969-11-28-1 New York, NY: Stray Cat Blues
5 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: Under My Thumb
6 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: I'm Free
7 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: Midnight Rambler
8 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: Love in Vain
9 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
10 L 1969-11-27 New York, NY: Honky Tonk Women

I'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I hope this helps.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 14, 2019 16:08

MSG 1969 Soundboards
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:18

I put together a list of existing soundboard tracks from the MSG 69 shows (+ Baltimore). Did I forget something?

In () = date (November 1969)

Jumpin' Jack Flash (27) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Jumpin' Jack Flash (28-1) -> Gimme Shelter DVD
Carol (28-1) overdubs -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Carol (28-1) overdubs, different mix, correct announcement -> Time Trip Vol. 4
Carol (28-1) no overdubs, -> Gimme Shelter VHS video (US) bonus track
Carol (28-2) -> Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track
Sympathy For The Devil (28-1) verse 1,2,3 -> Original Ya-Ya's
Sympathy For The Devil (28-1) verse 1,4 -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Stray Cat Blues (28-1) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Love In Vain (Baltimore 26) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Love In Vain (Baltimore 26) different mix, correct announcement -> A Shot Of Salvation
Love In Vain (Baltimore 26) different mix, edit, missing one verse, wrong announcement -> Gimme Shelter DVD
Prodigal Son (27) -> Ya-Ya's DVD
Prodigal Son (27) -> Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track
Prodigal Son (28-2) -> Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
You Gotta Move (27) -> Ya-Ya's DVD
You Gotta Move (28-2) -> Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Under My Thumb (27) -> Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Under My Thumb (28-1) -> Ya-Ya's DVD
I'm Free (27) -> Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
I'm Free (28-1) incomplete -> Ya-Ya's DVD
Midnight Rambler (28-2) intro cut -> Original Ya-Ya's
Midnight Rambler (28-2) intro complete -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Live With Me (28-2) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Little Queenie (28-1) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Little Queenie (28-1) -> Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track, also b&w video
Satisfaction (27) -> Ya-Ya's DVD
Satisfaction (28-1) -> Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Satisfaction (28-1/28-2 mix & edit) -> Gimme Shelter DVD
Honky Tonk Women (28-1) -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Honky Tonk Women (28-2/27 mix) -> Gimme Shelter DVD
Street Fighting Man (28-1) vocal overdubs -> Original Ya-Ya's, different mix -> Ya-Ya's acetate
Street Fighting Man (28-1) original vocals -> A Shot Of Salvation
Street Fighting Man (28-1/28-2 mix) with voiceover -> Gimme Shelter DVD
Some people say that Stray Cat Blues is from Baltimore 26th with overdubbed vocals.

Date: February 14, 2019 20:30

Straycat, I had MR on, I think, cassette, many years ago. Also, Carol from this show is the one wot made it to ya-ya's, yes?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 14, 2019 20:43

@Heiloobaas; I don't think so

Date: February 15, 2019 13:03

Hi Erik, I never found MR from the 1st show.

I checked blakeeik comment and agree with him. Therefore, the CD You Talk a Lot has only the first 4 tracks from MSG 1st, All the rest are from different shows, mainly MSG 27.

To resume, my conclusion is that a partial MSG 1st can be assembled with 4 sources:
1) You talk a lot (first four tracks audience) and an incomplete SFTD.
2) GYYYO Complete edition (sbd) with Carol, SFTD complete, SCB, LQ, Satisfaction, HTW, SFM. Most of these tracks have vocals overdubbing (HTW with the boulevard of Paris verse, LQ taken from the promovideo has slightly different vocals compared with the GYYYO Complete Edition which also has piano overdubbed)
3) Sam Cutler intro and JJF from Live in Baltimore 1969 and More.
4) UMT/I'm free from GYYYO Deluxe edition with I'm free incomplete

MR, LIV, PS, YGM have still to surface.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: February 15, 2019 14:00

"NYC You Talk A Lot" runs much too fast...

Date: February 15, 2019 14:54

Rank Stranger
"NYC You Talk A Lot" runs much too fast...

True, I slowed down with Audacity

Date: February 15, 2019 18:25

Erik_Snow

Hi Eric, I had a similar experience with DOA's video of "I'd Do Anything." I was convinced I saw Pete Burns bust a dance move when I'd originally seen it in 1983. When I watched the same video in 2015 I saw my memory was a false one.

Still, I remember hearing MR and Carol, but now I think of it, maybe that was from the second show on the 28th...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 15, 2019 18:44

HEILOOBAAS
Erik_Snow

Hi Eric, I had a similar experience with DOA's video of "I'd Do Anything." I was convinced I saw Pete Burns bust a dance move when I'd originally seen it in 1983. When I watched the same video in 2015 I saw my memory was a false one.

Still, I remember hearing MR and Carol, but now I think of it, maybe that was from the second show on the 28th...

Would love to see Rambler from '69, nomatter what show. But I doubt that what you saw saw the "never heard" 1st Nov 28th performance.

Date: February 16, 2019 00:39

Erik_Snow
HEILOOBAAS
Erik_Snow

Would love to see Rambler from '69, nomatter what show. But I doubt that what you saw saw the "never heard" 1st Nov 28th performance.

I have wrestled with the answer to the question, "Which tour was a better one? 1969 or 1972?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home