Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: OT: Hunger City members READ THIS!!!eye popping smiley
Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 14:07

Come on keep alive
many of us have used HC
DONATE DONATE DONATE

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:19

I donated two weeks ago and the site is still not back up...it is August now, are we going to have to go through this again this month? If they aren't going to reopen the site they should refund our money!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 15:23

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 30TH JULY, 2013 (4:00PM EST)

AS MENTIONED MANY TIMES BEFORE, IF DONATIONS (WHICH PAYS FOR THE SERVER COSTS ETC) ARE NOT PAID IN FULL EACH MONTH, THE SERVER WILL BE TURNED OFF UNTIL PAYMENT HAS BEEN MET.

THE CHOICE IS NOW YOURS. IF YOU THINK, HUNGERCITY SHOULD NOT DIE SUCH A SAD DEATH, PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS TO : donations@hungercity.org

HUNGERCITY WILL BE UP AND RUNNING BY THIS COMING THURSDAY!!!

PEACE & LOVE TO ALL!

- SHAREEF

Date: August 1, 2013 15:56

Mr.D
I donated two weeks ago and the site is still not back up...it is August now, are we going to have to go through this again this month? If they aren't going to reopen the site they should refund our money!

me too have donate some days ego......I do not think $ 10 is a great loss
ok .... ok .... the next time we meet I'll buy you a beer smiling smiley

Date: August 1, 2013 16:46

I sent them $25.00...is the site coming back up or not?

Date: August 1, 2013 17:29

I am not involved in the management of the site
I'm just a user who hopes HC stay alive

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: August 1, 2013 17:42

I have donated in the past. But like many others I find I use HC less now that places such as filefactory make music available without a ratio to worry about. I wish HC the best. And I suspect that people reading this are reluctant to donate because they have no idea whether their $15 will make a difference. Perhaps it would help if someone from HC posted exactly how much more money is needed before the site reopens and asked for pledges rather than donations. Reopen when the pledges surpass the goal and shut down again if people welch on pledges.

In any case, thanks for the efforts over the years.

Date: August 1, 2013 19:26

Stone601
I'm not blaming you!smiling smiley You have come forward to defend them which is admirable...we need someone from the site(Shareef, Erik Snow) to come give us the real scoop!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 1, 2013 19:49

Mr.D
Stone601
I'm not blaming you!smiling smiley You have come forward to defend them which is admirable...we need someone from the site(Shareef, Erik Snow) to come give us the real scoop!

I was as surprised by the shut-down as you, actually

Only Shareef takes care of the servercosts and donations; he's the owner of Hungercity, after all.
I haven't talked to him the last weeks/months as he's been busy with other things this time of year....no warning about the bills/shutdown to me, in other words.

But from what I understand, enough donations has been made by now. The site should be up any time
Hope to see you all back downloading and uploading on HC soon.. .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-01 19:57 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2013 20:14

TTD has some tips on how to run a torrent site while keeping monthly fees low...

[www.thetradersden.org]

Posted by: ede ()
Date: August 3, 2013 16:27

Hello,
does anyone know something about HungerCity?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 5, 2013 12:32

They were supposed to be back last thursday but it didn't happen...

Anyone here knows anything ?

Hungercity - any news?
Date: August 6, 2013 22:04

Everything's in the title ?
Anyone got a clue about what's going on ?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 7, 2013 03:52

TravellinMan
I have donated in the past. But like many others I find I use HC less now that places such as filefactory make music available without a ratio to worry about. I wish HC the best.

What's this ratio thing? Please explain if possible. I am not a techie guy.

Date: August 7, 2013 10:10

Super-simple : on torrent sites you don't DL music, you borrow it from other users.
And you can burn it to cd-r BUT you also have to keep the files on your computer until another member borrows it from you.

If you get a 1 Gb show and you don't give it (= "seed" ) back to others you ratio will be zero. If you seed 500 Mb your ratio will be 0.5.
If you seed the show entirely to two other site members your ratio will be 2.0 (great!!)
The standard practice is to keep a 1.0 ratio on all your torrents.

If you get a "hot"/in demand show you might DL (= "leech" ) and give it back ("seed" ) in two hours, maybe less. If you get a show that was shared two years ago, you'll have to be patient, as it might take days or weeks.

Members with bad ratio (below 0.35) will be forbidden to get new music but they still can seed what they already got and slowly build up their ratio.
Usually they make the wrong choice by getting a 2nd account/name, that leads to their ban.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 10:13 by dcba.

Date: August 7, 2013 11:03

And what's going on with the site ?
Any news ????

Date: August 7, 2013 12:35

I shall add your overall/total up/down ratio is visible to other site members.

So if you have a 0.4 ratio and you have sucked up 25 Gb of music you might not appear to others under the most favorable light... which means some seeders might not want to send music to you.

Posted by: LuvGlimmerTwins ()
Date: August 7, 2013 15:37

HungerCity is actually three sites
-the tracker
-the forum
-the art gallery.

This may help explain why server costs at HC are higher than for a single site.

I have been told that we may see HungerCity rise in the next days.
Unfortunately, unlike TDD, migration of data is not automatic for HC, and data migration is needed for a full restart. ShaReef does all the data migration himself, and must do it at the physical site of the servers.
It is a time-consuming task.

Those who have been members of HungerCity long-term know similar situations in the past sometimes took a month or more to resolve.

While this may test your patience, the result should be worth the wait.
Just my 2 cents~

LuvGlimmerTwins
aka LGT at HungerCity

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:19

Hot town, Hunger in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be any patience in the city

It'll be back, no worries...

Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: August 7, 2013 17:35

It' s good to hear that the bill isn' t the reason anymore. The rest will come...

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 7, 2013 23:31

Some light and good news, thanks LGT for telling us! smileys with beer

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 8, 2013 05:29

dcba
Super-simple : on torrent sites you don't DL music, you borrow it from other users.
And you can burn it to cd-r BUT you also have to keep the files on your computer until another member borrows it from you.

If you get a "hot"/in demand show you might DL (= "leech" ) and give it back ("seed" ) in two hours, maybe less. If you get a show that was shared two years ago, you'll have to be patient, as it might take days or weeks.

[PLEASE NOTE: Sections of above-referenced post have been deleted - Ed.]

Thanks, dcba. So I would have to pay to access these torrents AND I have to keep a show on my hard drive until someone with the same esoteric musical tastes as myself leeches the show. I hope they allow one to pay a higher membership fee for exemption from this leech requirement.

And I hope that last sentence doesn't cause a certain addled Frenchman to pop up with posts insulting me like he recently did to a long-time member & buddy-of-mine.

Posted by: THE DON ()
Date: August 8, 2013 05:38

MILKYWAY
dcba

[PLEASE NOTE: Sections of above-referenced post have been deleted - Ed.]

Thanks, dcba. So I would have to pay to access these torrents AND I have to keep a show on my hard drive until someone with the same esoteric musical tastes as myself leeches the show. I hope they allow one to pay a higher membership fee for exemption from this leech requirement.

And I hope that last sentence doesn't cause a certain addled Frenchman to pop up with posts insulting me like he recently did to a long-time member & buddy-of-mine.

Hi Milkyway,
Another good tip to keep your ratio up is to download something not of your interest but which is newly added and many will leech from you.

Then after you get a good ratio you can delete the torent if you never really wanted it.

Hope that helps.

Date: August 8, 2013 16:55

MILKYWAY

At HungerCity, one NEVER "pays" for access.
A person must register, which is for FREE.
The new member must follow the rules, one of which is to maintain a good share ratio.
DONATIONS are not required; yet, DONATIONS are highly appreciated, as they keep the music flowing.

Regarding the file sharing sites mentioned by MILKYWAY --
If one has time to wait, downloads CAN be free.
However, I dislike the need to PAY a file sharing site for an upgraded account so that multiple downloads are allowed and so that interrupted downloads may be resumed.
Private torrent sites do allow multiple downloads and resumption of those which are interrupted. Some have a limit on the number of active torrents allowed (DIME). Those limits are in place to promote healthy swarms, that's all.

Just my two cents ~
LGT

Posted by: dph ()
Date: August 9, 2013 03:49

Not looking good at the moment. HC is currently a GoDaddy site.

Posted by: YUQURMH ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:24

hi

really disappointed , we donate for help and what's we receive in return , nothing !!!

no thanks , nothing to say where the site go and now the adress is free
thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:28

YUQURMH
hi

really disappointed , we donate for help and what's we receive in return , nothing !!!

thumbs downthumbs down

I am disappointed too, and I have also donated, actually

But: this has happened before; HC going down like that. It did return after 1-2 months, so there is still hope. It's not a good situation though

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:44

YUQURMH
hi

thumbs downthumbs down

the adress is not free.

Date: August 11, 2013 19:59

falo01
the adress is not free.
None of the three addresses associated with HungerCity are 'free'.
Each costs money to open, maintain, and keep active.
There is a tracker address, a forum address, and a gallery address.
All are either active or 'parked' right now.

It sickens me to hear that those who have donated 10, 20, 50 dollars to HC are disappointed that the tracker is not yet functional.
There have been outages before. HungerCity has always risen again (see Erik's post above).

Considering what one ROIO or VOIO would cost if purchased, it seems selfish and childish to lament the loss of one small donation to any site where the music was (and I'm willing to bet will be again) freely offered.

Funny, I do not recall such horrendous accusations when the Rocks Off tracker had it's (frequent) outages.

Enough about this already. Please be patient!

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: August 11, 2013 20:19

I think what falo maybe meant was that the domain address isn't free.
Isn't the godaddy page just a placeholder for a website, it looked to me like someone had registered the site but not done anything with it.

Is this your domain?
Let's turn it into a website!

and the 'hungercity.org' is working again ... it's just that it's pointing to that godaddy site.

I could well be wrong ...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home