Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Crossfire Hurricane - did I miss something?
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: January 24, 2013 21:50

Well, I thought this documentary was going to cover 50 years of the Stones. It got to about 1981, and then the end credits started rolling. "Whaaaa ???" I said to myself. Perhaps I fell asleep at 1981 and was woken up by the closing Shine A Light DVD music. I've checked again - no, it's true, it stops at 1981.

We're told in the booklet (page 3) that we get to see it (the music) being performed through 50 years of concert and television performances". OK, I compute about 19-20 years that I saw. Perhaps the other 30-odd years are hidden somewhere in the biggest Easter egg imaginable. Anybody able to clarify on this? confused smiley

Re: Crossfire Hurricane - did I miss something?
Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: January 24, 2013 23:04

I have heard rumours that things happened after 1981 but I've seen little evidence of it myself.
Everything since then seems to have been repeats of the 60's and 70's performed by older people.
But personally I'm happy with that smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2013 23:55

JimmyShelter
I have heard rumours that things happened after 1981 but I've seen little evidence of it myself.
Everything since then seems to have been repeats of the 60's and 70's performed by older people.
But personally I'm happy with that smiling smiley

Sorry, but that leaves me even more confused.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: January 25, 2013 00:09

We have "25x5" for 1963-1988...we just need the equivalent programme for the next 25 years
Straightforward, yeah?

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: January 25, 2013 00:25

Sorry, my idea of humour.

But more seriously, I think that it was meant to be the story of the making of the stones. I know not everybody will agree with me, but I think that by 1981 that story was really over. Apart from just showing later performances I don't think there was that much more to say.

Date: January 25, 2013 00:29

Zagalo
We have "25x5" for 1963-1988...we just need the equivalent programme for the next 25 years
Straightforward, yeah?

Yeah, umm, sorta. So I'm still left wondering why it was chopped off at 1981. 25x5 was probably a better job IMHO, and we got 7 more years than CH as well. Makes me wonder why CH was done at all .... oh yeah, I know. It got another 18 bucks out of my pocket.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: January 25, 2013 12:16

Wait for Crossfire Hurricane Part 2

or

The Return of Crossfire Hurricane

or

Revenge of the Crossfire Hurricane

etc etc

Date: January 25, 2013 12:44

strettonbull
Wait for Crossfire Hurricane Part 2

or

The Return of Crossfire Hurricane

or

Revenge of the Crossfire Hurricane

etc etc

Don't forget "The Hurricane Strikes Back". Maybe the missing further 31 years can come out as "Crossfire Hurricane. A New Hope". So on a serious note, there remains no explanation why this 50-year thing suddenly stops dead at only 19. Perhaps I should have paid only 18 x 19/50 = just under 7 bucks eye rolling smiley

Date: January 26, 2013 10:12

STRETTONBULL, YOU'VE GOT MAIL & PICS!!!!!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 26, 2013 11:24

They hired the wrong guys for making this documentary-movie, obviously.
The makers obviously had never seen "bootleg videos" before and thought that it was "exciting stuff". But it ain't. The whole movie sucks.
And the people not knowing anything about "boot videos" probably won't bother to buy Crossfire Hurricane either. What a piss-poor effort!

Date: January 26, 2013 13:46

Erik_Snow
The makers obviously had never seen "bootleg videos" before and thought that it was "exciting stuff". But it ain't. The whole movie sucks.
And the people not knowing anything about "boot videos" probably won't bother to buy Crossfire Hurricane either. What a piss-poor effort!

Eric, you've come pretty close to summing up what I suppose I was instinctively feeling about this "doco", especially with your closing comment about the quality of the effort. The technique started off somewhat interesting, but became a bit too monotonous to hold full interest for the whole length of the presentation. In the end, it was like something was lacking, and not just the last 31 years. It has rather impressive packaging, but as for what's inside ..... eye rolling smiley (again)

And still nobody appears to know why it falls off its perch at 1981. This is now, IMO, quite noticeable and significant. Was "somebody" a bit "too lazy to crow [any more] today"?

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: January 26, 2013 18:26

Erik_Snow

x2

Date: January 26, 2013 22:04

The Menace of Mayfair
STRETTONBULL, YOU'VE GOT MAIL & PICS!!!!!

Yes, but I didn't understand your email. I think you might have sent them to the wrong person!

Posted by: letitloose6 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 00:44

Business wise, Stones Inc. is focused on their main market, Christmas season.

Anything that has a Stones logo, will be sold as a gift to a father or a grand-father. the more expensive and exclusive looking, the better.

Most people who buy it are not concerned with what's inside, they don't even know enough to evaluate.

Remains for the fans to keep up the legacy and the memories.
They have unreleased material, that would allow for some decent releases.
Instead we keep getting the reashed albuns remamstered for the 10th time.

Date: January 27, 2013 09:19

Well, this is even more noticeable. Still nobody has posted any known reason for it cutting out as early as 1981 in the timeline. Reckon I'm going to conclude that it was an inexplicable (and virtually inexcusable) tactic by the producers. It's like buying a packet marked "20 chocolate biscuits inside", opening it up, and finding there are only 7 plus a fragment. I think it's a pretty poor piece of representation. Not impressed. moody smiley

Date: January 29, 2013 21:47

OK, with no further comment having been made about this, I'm classing this DVD as a dud. I feel like we've all been badly short-changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-29 21:48 by stonesman87.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 29, 2013 23:04

If a person didnt know much about The Stones (say, other than their name) then the movie would be of interest but to anyone here its as dull as dull can be with nothing new info wise or video for that matter..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-29 23:04 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2013 23:18

scottkeef
If a person didnt know much about The Stones (say, other than their name) then the movie would be of interest but to anyone here its as dull as dull can be with nothing new info wise or video for that matter..

So it was made for the passerby and not the addicts

Date: January 30, 2013 00:04

I thought I read that MJ said they didn't enough time to go any further, shich does suggest they wanted it out before Christmas.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 30, 2013 02:19

The poster for the movie says "The Rise of The Stones" which might explain why it ends in 1981.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 30, 2013 03:45

Deltics
The poster for the movie says "The Rise of The Stones" which might explain why it ends in 1981.

A good point ..... which is utterly contradicted by the booklet comment "we get to see it [the music] being performed through 50 years of concert and television performances". And that "Rise of the Stones" wording doesn't appear on the DVD cover artwork or its slipcase. Thanks Deltics, you've now shown us that this dud DVD also has a dud claim, or worse, its possibly intended limited scope is carefully hidden on the product itself. In any event, who can say when the rise of the Stones ended, 1981 or otherwise? Still, I keep coming back to that "50 years of concert and television performances" reference, something that is palpably untrue. It's all even more confusing and mystifying.

This, to my knowledge, previously unknown "Brett Morgen" (I've never seen that spelling before) needs to give us an explanation. At this stage, I find it difficult to put this only partial effort beyond the level of "pocket-milking pot-boiler".

This shemozzle is fast pushing me from confused smiley and eye rolling smiley to angry smiley

Date: January 31, 2013 08:05

762 hits on this "controversial" topic and counting, and still not even a shred of anything remotely resembling an official explanation as to why this "50-year odyssey" ends after just 19 years. This must rate a mention in a list of the year's biggest Stones secrets, as well as unsatisfactory releases. thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home