Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

original "No Spare parts" and "Do you think I really care": what's the best quality available?
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:22

Listening to the remade snippets made me want to go back to the originals - which are so much more moving. I remember I had very good quality versions, but now can only find one from Place Pigalle with some vynil scratch sound, and a horrible mix from Sister Morphine with, as ever, tons of trebles, and the whole flesh taken out of the midrange. Does anybody know of better sources? (a download link would actually be GREAT!)

Thanks in advance!

Re: original "No Spare parts" and "Do you think I really care": what's the best quality available?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:00

I think this is pretty good (and it has just about everything you need)

[www.iorr.org]

the mp3 links are dead but the flacs are still up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 21:01 by scottkeef.

Re: original "No Spare parts" and "Do you think I really care": what's the best quality available?
Date: November 7, 2011 21:01

Thank you very much! Also - sorry to be a bother - what volumes are No Spare Parts and Do You think I Really care on?

Date: November 7, 2011 21:04

Got my answer from the artwork. Thanks again!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:06

can't remember for sure but I think disc 2 and 3... ok, cool!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-07 21:07 by scottkeef.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: November 8, 2011 00:13

Thanx to soulsurvivor for the up, and scott for the hint!
I,m dl it right now. For some strange reason I,ve never heard this ones before, and I haveĀ“nt even dl it before (strange!)

Thanx and cheers

Bo winking smiley

Date: November 8, 2011 10:08

So I've downloaded CD2 of Girls Pills & Powder, and - I still I've heard these tracks in better quality before. Frustrating!

Let me explain: I'm kind of a lapsed bootleg listener, I used to buy all them Swingin' Pigs in the 90s but mostly now I only listen to studio stuff and when still a student (and therefore broke) I've sold most of my bootlegs. This was before the wonders of harddisks and stuff (at least for me) so I could not simply make copies of my CDs (which, for that reason, were actually still worth something!). I thought I'd made a copy of NSP and Do You Think... can't find it now.

Is it my imagination running away with me? Is my memory tricking me because I am fussier now about sound quality than I was then?

But of three things I'm sure:

1) My versions had none of that horrible echo-chamber thing that makes Mick's voice harsh on No Spare Parts from Girls Pills and Powder

2) there wasn't a slight dip in sound at the beginning of Do You Think... from G, P &P

3) No Spare Parts had none of the vynil scratch sounds as on Place Pigalle.

OK, maybe I'm deluded, it's been 17 years! But I wonder if any other versions are known?

Posted by: Roel ()
Date: November 8, 2011 11:32

You might try : Paris Results
Posted here by Quique-stone (11-03-2011 : searchbutton?)

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 8, 2011 16:05

Best version I've heard of No Spare Parts is on the vinyl bootleg Better Results.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 8, 2011 16:24

"Do You Think I Really Care" -> Accidents Will Happen (VGP 370)

Posted by: fela ()
Date: November 8, 2011 22:25

"Do You Think I Really Care" -> Accidents Will Happen (VGP 370)

-better than "The Paris Rehearsals" (DAC 114) ?

Posted by: RICCARDO ()
Date: November 10, 2011 09:37

THE BEST VESRSION, BETTER THAN ON VGP 370, YOU CAN FOUND IN THROUGH THE VAULTS DARKLY - GODFATHER RECORDS 2 CD 195/196.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 11, 2011 02:59

Thanks for pointing out that boot. The sound is a bit "trebly", but "We had it all" does sound excellent, much better than any other version I've heard. Keith's voice doesn't sound "processed" like on the new version.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 11, 2011 23:46

RICCARDO
THE BEST VESRSION, BETTER THAN ON VGP 370, YOU CAN FOUND IN THROUGH THE VAULTS DARKLY - GODFATHER RECORDS 2 CD 195/196.

It's heavily processed, I would say RUINED by amateur EQ "remastering".

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 12, 2011 11:27

alimente
RICCARDO

It's heavily processed, I would say RUINED by amateur EQ "remastering".

Agree to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-12 11:27 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 13, 2011 01:46

hum...so what's the best version according to you guys then?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 13, 2011 03:51

As the 1977-1978 outtakes belongs to my all time favorite, I've listened to most of the Bootlegs that are floatin' around here and there including some Vinyl rips.Some like the old ones that got some hiss and pops, I don't like the Through the Vaults Darkly mixes too, for the others it's just a matter of taste after all.
So here's the ones I like

Do You Think I really Care 6'09"
No Spare Parts 6'10"
FLAC Files 76,5 Mo
MEGAUPLOAD

For 1977-1978, I've made my own compilation with the best booties and I couldn't figure out from which it came, but some expert here will know...
Take'em or leave'em winking smiley

HMN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-13 03:54 by Honestman.

Date: November 13, 2011 12:00

Thanks, will give them a listen. Do you have "We Had it All" too? I went back to my "Emotional Rescue Sessions" CD but it seems like a straight copy of the vinyl, with cracks and all and "We had it all" sounds terrible. THere must have been a better transfer of that LP on CD...looking for it now.

"Through the Vaults Darkly" may be heavily processed, but they did a better job than Don Was on Keith's voice on "We Had it All" based on the 90 seconds clip we've heard where it sounds "funny"!

Date: November 13, 2011 12:22

ok, gave them a listen, excellent indeed!
No Spare Parts sounds like the Better Results version, but Do You Think I really Care is a lot better than on Paris Results v1.

Would be great if you uploaded your "best of 77/78" collection ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home