Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Luxury ( a short history)
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:08

What a fantastic riff. So Simple. So perfect.

werther's recent share on HC got me thinking a lot about this song again.

It made a precious few appearances in 1975 so they obviously thought the song had potential. Great version at Baton Rouge though MJ obviously isn't worried about getting the words right. Assuming it was played in Toronto 1975 and a few other like San Antonio, it was performed maybe 11 times on this tour? It never sounded perfect and it seems like MJ never fully embraced playing it. He usually can get the words right when he's into it... Eventually they dropped it cold.

At El Mocambo it appeared again...at least we think so. Can you imagine how that version sounded? "Crackin' Up" into "Luxury". The only thing missing would be Keith ripping into "Harder They Come". But it's thought Keith did none of his set at El Mocambo.

So eventually the song which didn't chart at all as far as I know was dropped out and forgotten.

Too bad.

Was it ever rehearsed or performed again?
"Melody" resurfaced in 1999...why not this one?

Short history over.

Re: Luxury ( a short history)
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:20

Love Luxury and I've wondered about all the things you just brought up. Was it ever rehearsed again? I'm guessing it hasn't been but we'll probably never know for sure.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 25, 2011 22:55

Completely agree to your post, MunichHilton, it's unbelievable that they skipped this song after Toronto 1975, it was one of THE highlights of the show, during the first part of the TOTA 1975 tour.

I LOVE Luxury - both the studio version, and all live versions of 1975. Wish we had a recording of Luxury in Toronto 1977, for sure

You write: "But it's thought Keith did none of his set at El Mocambo."

According to one (important) source, they did "Worried Life Blues" in Toronto 1977. If this is true, I would imagine that Keith did sing, not Jagger.
Then again.....I think the reporter messed up the "Worried About You" title with "Woried Life Blues"; but that's just a guess.

And yes, they tried it out later. There's photo of Keith in Toronto, July 1994 existing, in which he's standing in front of the "rehearsal setlist".....and this list includes "Luxury"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-27 00:46 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 26, 2011 00:33

Good info Erik.
I wonder where it would of gone in the 1994 setlist.

Probably that area where they alternated a lot of tunes

1994/1995 Set:

Not Fade Away
Tumbling Dice
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Live With Me (sometimes)
Satisfaction
Beast Of Burden
Out Of Tears

here they typically alternated between these:
Wild Horses /Heartbreaker/Angie/Dead Flowers/Sweet Virginia/Rock and a Hard Place/Midnight Rambler/LUXURY
it fits perfect!

Its All Over Now
I Go Wild
All Down The Line (sometimes)
Miss You
Can't Get Next To You (rarely)
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Sympathy For The Devil
Monkey Man
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock n Roll
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

Now i wanna hear this fabulous version that I just imagined.
I still have to think that as good as 1977 was...that would be a defining version AS LONG as Jagger gave it some effort.

It wasn't played at the Woodstock rehearsals, and it didn't really show up anywhere in 1981 that I can find. I really have this feeling its a Keith fueled reggae tune that Jagger is not really into...Just an opinion.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: June 26, 2011 19:13

I like the song alot but the *cod West Indian* voice Jagger sings it in does annoy somewhat.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: June 26, 2011 21:34

Love the live version from the "Little S&M" EP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 21:34 by Hillside Blues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1322
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home