Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones need a new producer
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 4, 2008 00:39

todd rundgren!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 4, 2008 00:44

What really 'sucks', is in fact very few songs and perfomances. Streets Of Love is a sort of more-literate-than-usual power ballad, and the Stones should never attempt any sort of power ballad, let alone one that sounds slightly pretentious. Other than that I think a couple Jagger vocals on ABB are overwrought, but overall its a highly enjoyable album with some ('This Place Is Empty', 'Under The Radar', 'Won't Be Long', 'Let Me Down Slow') very strong songs and solid rocking by a great band on the just-OK songs. Not as good as the best of VL or B2B tho.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 4, 2008 00:54

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000
It depends on how badly they want a great album at this point in time. I think Jagger above all could be convinced that Rick Rubin would give them a great album. I only wonder if they are hungry enough to want one.

They aren't.

i don't think it's a question of hunger, frankly. you can be hungry and still be fresh out of ideas. happens in all the arts. some get their muse back eventually; others never do. for my money the stones pretty much lost their muse (i'm talking the song-writing machine) 30 years ago and it's only returned in bits and pieces since then.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 4, 2008 01:41

100% Rick Rubin.

But even he would have his problems with them.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:00

Andrew Loog Oldham

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:30

They could bring George Martin out of retirement.

Rubin would be nice.

Beck could be a good idea.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:40

We need plans for a "new album" first, and the "boys" are far from that.
I think that Mick will put something out next year, his longest gaps between albums was 4 years TWICE (Steel Wheels-Wandering Spirit and B2B-GITD).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:41

Loudei
They could bring George Martin out of retirement.

Yes, an 83 year old man who retired because he was going deaf and whose speciality was in orchestration would be ideal....

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:41

No, they need a NEW PRODUCT...

JR

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 4, 2008 02:57

Deaf? So

83 ? big deal....

The Stones need reinvent themselves... Its teh senior citizen era of rock

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 4, 2008 03:01

When was the last time the Glimmer Twins actually produced their own album, or has that ever really happened?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2008 03:36

Theyre credited as the producers on the albums from IORR through to Tattoo You.

Subsequent studio albums have had co-producers credited.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 4, 2008 04:08

How about Jimmy Iovine or John "Mutt" Lange, now that Shania is out of his life.

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 4, 2008 04:11

THey should have Mick Taylor produce... or just have Keith do it in his basement

Date: December 4, 2008 04:33

T&A says that he thinks the muse is gone, and I respect that. But I don't agree. Obviously not the best producer is going to fashion a good album from crap songs. But a strong producer will cut through enough layers of bull to get to the muse that IMO still burns. They would just have to be willing to put up with someone not dancing to their little fiddle. But I don';t know...they are too spoiled.
I just recently saw "Being Mick", and I got to say I was impressed. Just by Mick; he's got that slightly faggy way of mid-tempoing along. While he does not go into overdrive much, he just never stops.

Posted by: noexpectations ()
Date: December 4, 2008 05:57

jack white is funny. Rick Rubin would be far better choice.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2008 08:08

The last thing the stones need now is psyncophant, and Jack White is great, but I agree with the posts that suggest he would be an easy mark for the Glimmer Twins. They need someone to challenge them artistically. Rick Ruben would be great, but I doubt Mick would like it because of the hard work he put him through during Wandering Spirit, and Keith probably wouldn't like it either thinking Rubin is in Mick's corner.
I love the idea of Daniel Lanois is a great idea! He would bring out the best in the boys and challenge them.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: December 4, 2008 08:29

Rob Fabroni

Date: December 4, 2008 10:24

If someone dared to point The Stones even further back than Exile, it would be interesting...

Date: December 4, 2008 14:06

DandelionPowderman
If someone dared to point The Stones even further back than Exile, it would be interesting...

Which is why I suggested Andrew...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 4, 2008 14:21

Maybe Robert Lang is overrated etc but he did produce Back in Black, which is still ACDC's best album. Indeed, The Bomb, as the youth say. And his ex wife's albums shifted a few units too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-04 14:26 by Father Ted.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 4, 2008 14:23

Absolutely agree SIWDC. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, goes the saying.

They should throw caution to the wind and pick a younger person who isn't in awe to them. Dare I say it, maybe someone from the electronic/dance world like Paul Oakenfold?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-04 14:28 by Father Ted.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: December 4, 2008 14:33

DandelionPowderman

To my ears, some of VL did seem to stretch back to "Lady Jane" and other more whimsical songs from the pre-Exile times - for which they were also critisized back then. They cannot win winking smiley

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: December 4, 2008 17:21

And what the fook is wrong with Don Was if I may ask?!?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 4, 2008 17:57

T&A, once again i am impressed with your keen insight and knowledge of these issues . my compliments to you !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Elliott ()
Date: December 4, 2008 18:03

Daniel LANOIS could be RIGHT man for the boys !!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 4, 2008 18:05

cbtaco19
Rob Fabroni

I second that choice.

Date: December 4, 2008 18:18

How about Jimmy Rip? He did a wonderful job with Jerry Lee Lewis' 'Last Man Standing' album, & he's worked with Jagger extensively, as well as (at least once each) with Keith & Ronnie.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 4, 2008 18:19

The Greek
T&A, once again i am impressed with your keen insight and knowledge of these issues . my compliments to you !!!!!!!!!!!

i blush. and you're in luck as there's an opening in the "official t&a fanclub" - see either ONNYA or SCL for details about how to enter and the perks you'll receive, etc....

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 4, 2008 18:22

Here's an idea...What about Jimmy Page, he produced a couple of good albums in his day.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home