Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Back Street Girl
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 26, 2012 20:35

stones78
His Majesty
Christian
Is Keith playing in standard tuning tuned down like the guy in this video?

Sounds right enough, so probably yes. thumbs up

It's certainly not standard tuning, but the D is played on the 6th string. That guy also strums too much.

The general stuff is there, including the right tuning.

Lowered standard tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 20:40 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 26, 2012 21:44

buffalo7478
drewmaster
Never understood the appeal of this track, or for that matter, most of the others on Between the Buttons. Too me, they sound arty, stilted, and pretentious, without any of the soul and grit and bluesiness and salaciousness that I so dearly love about the Rolling Stones.

Drew

Well said, Drew.

I'm not fond of a lot of tracks on BTB, but Back Street Girl and She Smiled Sweetly are excellent numbers. I think they show the depth of the musicianship of the Stones. That they're not just rock and rolling bluesmen. That's why I always thought that, 'The Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World' at the beginning of Ya Yas was jarring. I'd never pigeonholed them as just a rock and roll band. They were much more, they were Elizabethan, Psychedelic, Blues masters, and above all else, they were Pop Stars. Their varied palette is a strength, and what puts them in the rare air of the Beatles.

Date: August 26, 2012 23:42

24FPS
They were much more, they were Elizabethan, Psychedelic, Blues masters, and above all else, they were Pop Stars.

That's what they were whilst Brian Jones was an active member of the band. Varied and interesting.

With Mick Taylor it became mostly about bluesy rock guitar. More solid sound, but too much of the same thing.

By 1974 it really was a case of It's Only Rock & Roll. Shallow and boring.

What a shame.

Date: August 27, 2012 00:16

His Majesty
24FPS
They were much more, they were Elizabethan, Psychedelic, Blues masters, and above all else, they were Pop Stars.

That's what they were whilst Brian Jones was an active member of the band. Varied and interesting.

With Mick Taylor it became mostly about bluesy rock guitar. More solid sound, but too much of the same thing.

What a shame.

But, there was still a minor pop reincarnation as a reggae band, Hot Stuff. And an even bigger transformation as a Disco (Miss You) and Punk Band (Shattered). I remember thinking at the time of Some Girls that they'd amazingly done it again, being right on top of the Pop trends while still filtering it through the Stones sound. That was the last of their successful Pop Chameleon changes, as the attempted Electronica on Bridge to Babylon fell flat and has not aged well. You could say that their most successful electronic like sound was Undercover of the Night.

She's So Cold and 20 Flight Rock were nods to the rockabilly fad of the early 80s. But almost everything afterward is a nod to their own past, rather than creating a new sound or utilizing what's current. That may be some of the frustration people have with the post-Wyman band, is that you still wait to be surprised, and it doesn't happen anymore.

Date: August 27, 2012 01:48

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

What a shame.

But, there was still a minor pop reincarnation as a reggae band, Hot Stuff. And an even bigger transformation as a Disco (Miss You) and Punk Band (Shattered). I remember thinking at the time of Some Girls that they'd amazingly done it again, being right on top of the Pop trends while still filtering it through the Stones sound. That was the last of their successful Pop Chameleon changes, as the attempted Electronica on Bridge to Babylon fell flat and has not aged well. You could say that their most successful electronic like sound was Undercover of the Night.

She's So Cold and 20 Flight Rock were nods to the rockabilly fad of the early 80s. But almost everything afterward is a nod to their own past, rather than creating a new sound or utilizing what's current. That may be some of the frustration people have with the post-Wyman band, is that you still wait to be surprised, and it doesn't happen anymore.

There has only been one single album that is a disappointment to me and that is ABB. Babylon IMO was a great album. By far the best of the late 4.

Date: August 27, 2012 03:17

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

What a shame.

Most of these later things are a bit embarrassing though, but there are exceptions and a few instances of inspired creativity. Undercover of the Night being one, the 1989 Atlantic City performance is hot and exhilarating! hot smiley

Hot stuff is horrid! I hate it! What a shock to the system that must have been to fans as an introduction to the new Wood era. eye popping smiley

Date: August 27, 2012 04:00

His Majesty
24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

What a shame.

Most of these later things are a bit embarrassing though, but there are exceptions and a few instances of inspired creativity. Undercover of the Night being one, the 1989 Atlantic City performance is hot and exhilarating! hot smiley

Hot stuff is horrid! I hate it! What a shock to the system that must have been to fans as an introduction to the new Wood era. eye popping smiley

Hot Stuff was a miscalculation, not even being a good reggae song. Hey Negrita, on the other hand, is one of the sleaziest, funkiest things they ever did. That should have been their reggae-rock single, and it was inspired by Ron Wood.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 06:46

Hot Stuff isn't reggae, it is funk. And is tight gut bucket kicking s h i t!

But back to Back Street Girl.
Wonderfully meloncholy song that transports you to paris, gentle breezes, coffee houses and forelorn love. Great song and Mick nails the delivery. Beautiful!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2012 07:09

HisMajesty - As much as I like the Brian Jones era the Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood eras are NOT SHALLOW and Boring.
Lets look at the Taylor era - Let It Bleed - well Taylor and Jones had very minimal contributions so that one does not really count just proves again that the real strength of the band lay in the hands of Mick and Keith.

Sticky Fingers - Sway is a powerhouse with tremendous solos by MT.
Wild Horses - Not very bluesy but country tinged and some of MJ's best lyrics.
Can't You Hear Me Knocking - One of the best songs the Stones have ever done going from a balls to the wall rocker to an almost jazz guitar samba.

Dead Flowers is pure country and Moonlight Mile would have made Brian proud.

Exile On Main Street - No need to go into song detail here but this album covers everything from straight fowrward rock and rool to gospel, country, blues and R&B. One of the modt diverse and deep albums any rock band has ever made.

Goat's Head Soup - Very different from EOMS and another outstanding effort and often ridiculed but is enjoying a re-look from critics. I will however admit that at this point the albums started to have a formula but still pretty darn good.

IORR - A solid if not great effort I'll give you that. Perhaps MT had ru his course with the band no I;m not trying to start another Ronnie vs MT war but they don't sound inspired and MT was getting frustrated that he got no writing credits especially for Time Waits For No One,

Black and Blue - Another overlooked gem in the STones catalog.

Some Girls - Enter Ronnie and a real blast of fresh energy the band sounds like they are having fun anf produced a great album.

After Some Girls they have never really been the same in the studio but have made some more fine music.

The 1970's and early 80's were not shallow and boring.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2012 08:00

They would kill to write a tune this good right now.

Date: August 27, 2012 09:38

slew
HisMajesty - As much as I like the Brian Jones era the Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood eras are NOT SHALLOW and Boring.
Lets look at the Taylor era - Let It Bleed - well Taylor and Jones had very minimal contributions so that one does not really count just proves again that the real strength of the band lay in the hands of Mick and Keith.

Sticky Fingers - Sway is a powerhouse with tremendous solos by MT.
Wild Horses - Not very bluesy but country tinged and some of MJ's best lyrics.
Can't You Hear Me Knocking - One of the best songs the Stones have ever done going from a balls to the wall rocker to an almost jazz guitar samba.

Dead Flowers is pure country and Moonlight Mile would have made Brian proud.

Exile On Main Street - No need to go into song detail here but this album covers everything from straight fowrward rock and rool to gospel, country, blues and R&B. One of the modt diverse and deep albums any rock band has ever made.

Goat's Head Soup - Very different from EOMS and another outstanding effort and often ridiculed but is enjoying a re-look from critics. I will however admit that at this point the albums started to have a formula but still pretty darn good.

IORR - A solid if not great effort I'll give you that. Perhaps MT had ru his course with the band no I;m not trying to start another Ronnie vs MT war but they don't sound inspired and MT was getting frustrated that he got no writing credits especially for Time Waits For No One,

Black and Blue - Another overlooked gem in the STones catalog.

Some Girls - Enter Ronnie and a real blast of fresh energy the band sounds like they are having fun anf produced a great album.

After Some Girls they have never really been the same in the studio but have made some more fine music.

You are a true fan. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2012 09:41

slew

Wasn't the 70s the 'ME' decade?

Of course the 70s and 80s were shallow and boring...that's what we aspired to.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 28, 2012 01:21

Maybe overall but the STones musical output at least in the seventies was not shallow

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 23, 2013 09:23

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 16:12 by Green Lady.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:25

Love this tune.

"Please come right up to my ears 
You will be able to hear what I say" 

Shouldn't she come right up to his lips? Or... shouldn't he go up to her ears for her to hear what he says?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:30

schillid
Love this tune.

"Please come right up to my ears 
You will be able to hear what I say" 

Shouldn't she come right up to his lips? Or... shouldn't he go up to her ears for her to hear what he says?

Perhaps he plans on saying what he has to say without speaking.

Date: October 2, 2015 06:39

Who's on accordian? Nick De Caro? He was mentioned in the Wrecking Crew documentary. (Highly recommend it). It still sounds very 'Brian'. Maybe Brian was able to show him what he was coming up with, and Nick just took it higher. Frustrating that they've never done this song live that I know of. And even if they have, I haven't seen it. What a lovely, unique song. It's definitely up there with the Beatles and what they were producing at the time.

Date: October 2, 2015 10:43

His Majesty
stones78
His Majesty
Christian
Is Keith playing in standard tuning tuned down like the guy in this video?

Sounds right enough, so probably yes. thumbs up

It's certainly not standard tuning, but the D is played on the 6th string. That guy also strums too much.

The general stuff is there, including the right tuning.

Lowered standard tuning.

Standard tuning indeed. The riff is more intricate than one might think. I learned that the hard way for the IORR recordings smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 2, 2015 12:00

I love the early Stone and i do love Backstreet Girl. It is fabulous, a heartbreaking tear-jerker.

Date: October 2, 2015 12:43

His Majesty
24FPS

What a shame.

While I agree with that, it has to be said that Time Waits For No One, If You Realy Want To Be My Friend, Fingerprint File, Till The Next Goodbye and Luxury are quite a few exceptions on IORR.

Live, your statement is (almost) spot on.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home