Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Crosseyed Heart" guitar corner
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 19, 2015 19:44

So as not to clutter up the main thread...

"Nothing on Me":

On the opening chord, to my ears, this is the first time KR has left the B string open while in open-G, to make a Cmaj7 (which he used to like to do in standard to end a song, like "Time Is On My Side")

"Something for Nothing":

Intro riff is a rocked-up adaptation of the "Slipping Away" intro.

Low E is the pedal tone; play 0-12-x-x-x-x and 0-11-x-x-x-x and 0-9-9-x-x-x-x and 0-7-x-x-x-x etc.

And, perish the thought, Waddy's fills remind me of Van Halen's "Top of the World." Which I'm a sucker for. [Or, gasp, Foo Fighters' "My Hero," which I am not a sucker for.]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 00:17 by Mel Belli.

Re: "Crosseyed Heart" guitar corner
Date: August 19, 2015 20:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-30 05:25 by Mel Belli.

Date: August 19, 2015 20:31

Also a minor miracle that KR wrang two distinct songs out of "Robbed Blind" and "Just a Gift."

Lots of E, G, C, and F.

The verse of Robbed Blind finds Keith playing a C and sticking his pinkie on the fourth string, third fret for a -sus F. And he does the same thing on the F chord for a -sus Bb note. And that F thing, in turn, is the money passage of the "Just a Gift" chorus.

Again, like I was saying in the main thread, Keith has a habit of playing and singing his melodies simultaneously — leaving a footprint, so to speak, of how he composed the melody.

I think that's something Mick, like most singers, tries to avoid. In my experience, singers *hate* when guitarists do the same thing with hands and voice.

Date: August 19, 2015 20:41

"Substanial Damage" is a motherf*cker of a tune. Jordan, positively thunderous.

Someone else beat me to it over at Rock Off, but Keith is playing a variation of the funky breakdown of "If You Can't Rock Me."

In open-G:

Slide half-step below into x-x-3-4-x-x, quickly hit the G root, and then hammer-on to a C x-x-5-5-x-x and then another half-step slide into x-x-3-4-x-x. That's the "call" and the "response" goes x-x-3-4-x-x > x-3-x-x-x-x > x-4-x-x-x-x > x-x-0-0-x-x. It's all done quickly and funkily, so I hope this description does it justice. Half-step-below approaches are key!

Then there's some slashing of these notes:

x-x-x-x-3-3 and x-x-x-x-3-5

Then the cool part: a C chord that Keith renders like so: x-5-5-0-3-0 and sliding back to a Bb.

Similar to the "Nothing on Me" Cmaj7, I've never heard Keith play that voicing in open-G ever before.

The old dog still flashes some new tricks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 21:40 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 19, 2015 20:43

This thread reminds me of the fact that Talk Is Cheap was the only sheet music book of a Stone solo album! Please continue to combine chords and lyrics and so on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 20:44 by JJHMick.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 19, 2015 20:49

Mel Belli
"Substanial Damage" is a motherf*cker of a tune. Jordan, positively thunderous.

Someone else beat me to it over at Rock Off, but Keith is playing a variation of the funky breakdown of "If You Can't Rock Me."

In open-G:

Slide half-step below into x-4-3, quickly hit the G root, and then hammer-on to a C x-x-5-5-x-x and then another half-step slide into x-x-3-4-x-x. It's all down quickly and funkily, so I hope this description does it justice.

Then there's some slashing of these notes:

x-x-x-x-3-3 and x-x-x-x-3-5

Then the cool part: a C chord that Keith renders like so: x-5-5-0-3-0 and sliding back to a Bb.

Similar to the "Nothing on Me" Cmaj7, I've never heard Keith play that voicing in open-G ever before.

The old dog still flashes some new tricks!

thumbs up

Date: August 19, 2015 21:13

"Suspicious" is another cousin of "Robbed Blind" and "Just a Gift" (and all of them related in one way or another to "This Place Is Empty").

Kind of a cool intro for Keith, playing a G9 like so x-x-5-4-3-5, and then pulling off to a regular G in that position.

Verse is a nice, ascending melody played over Asus2 > Aminor > C > Cadd9 > F > G > C. Then a turnaround E chord.

Chorus is mainly Fmaj7 and G.

Some cool, swirly effects on guitars and keys here and throughout the album. Some sort of Leslie effect on "Amnesia," no?

Date: August 19, 2015 21:21

"Blues in the Morning" is a I-IV-V boogie in E.

Straightforward, energetic; sounds like it was cut live. I dig the faraway sound of Keith's voice.

Date: August 19, 2015 21:27

"Lover's Plea" is really beautiful. Slow Memphis soul, A > E7, with a F# > Bm > E > A.

Best part is an unexpected modulation to a Bb > C > F for the "This is my lover's plea to you" refrain. ... And then later another, brief modulation to Eb > Bb.

[update: first time through that B section is F#minor]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-23 19:18 by Mel Belli.

Date: August 19, 2015 22:13

Also occurs to me that the E turnaround we hear on "Suspicious" is similar to that found on "The Worst."

Date: August 21, 2015 17:43

Scratch above note on Amnesia. Jammed along with official single and it's in A major. Swampy feel and compromised audio had me hearing A minor.

Date: August 22, 2015 16:02

Three songs in open-g (Trouble, Nothing On Me, Substantial Damage) and not a single I-IV move (a la Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, etc.) Interesting.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 22, 2015 16:53

wow. mel.

Date: August 22, 2015 20:06

Mel Belli
Three songs in open-g (Trouble, Nothing On Me, Substantial Damage) and not a single I-IV move (a la Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, etc.) Interesting.

I can't hear that Substantial Damage is in open G?

Date: August 22, 2015 20:35

You could play it in standard, but I'm 100% sure it's open-G.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 22, 2015 20:42

Mel Belli

That really is interesting, perhaps even Keith is getting a bit tired of that well worn territory. I guess if we count Brown Sugar as the real first use of that I-IV hammered riff it would be Mick's riff anyway. winking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 23, 2015 06:53

Naturalust
Mel Belli

That really is interesting, perhaps even Keith is getting a bit tired of that well worn territory. I guess if we count Brown Sugar as the real first use of that I-IV hammered riff it would be Mick's riff anyway. winking smiley

why would we do that?

Date: August 23, 2015 07:34

Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Because Mick wrote it? But thinking more about it, I guess you might consider Street Fighting Man the first use of that hammered I-IV lick.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 23, 2015 09:50

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Because Mick wrote it? But thinking more about it, I guess you might consider Street Fighting Man the first use of that hammered I-IV lick.

honky tonk women too. and there's no reason to believe mick wrote that riff part of Brown Sugar, it's just believed he wrote the words and the melody. but yes i was referring to SFM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-23 09:51 by Turner68.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 23, 2015 11:13

this is a gorgeous thread
thanks Mel

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 23, 2015 14:58

Good thread indeed, but way ahead of time.

should have a disclaimer like "don't open till September 18th" or so - heh.

I've only listened to snippets so far. ok Trouble, Amnesia and tomorrow a 3rd one.

Date: August 23, 2015 16:00

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Not technically a I-IV, but 19th Nervous intro has the grip. That's where it all started!

Date: August 23, 2015 17:06

Mel Belli
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Not technically a I-IV, but 19th Nervous intro has the grip. That's where it all started!

Route 66 has it, too.

That's where it started (on an album) smiling smiley

Date: August 23, 2015 17:38

DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Route 66 has it, too.

Yes!

Date: August 23, 2015 18:21

Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Route 66 has it, too.

Yes!

I was more referring to the hammered I-IV thing in open tunings (E,D or G). It had a certain sound that is generally quite different from standard tuning inversions of the same change.

Date: August 23, 2015 18:33

Naturalust
Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Route 66 has it, too.

Yes!

I was more referring to the hammered I-IV thing in open tunings (E,D or G). It had a certain sound that is generally quite different from standard tuning inversions of the same change.

I read you, partner.

I've tried to document Keith's use of the technique on tunings other than open-G to absolve him of the charge that it's all a Ry Cooder ripoff.

Date: August 23, 2015 19:31

Mel Belli
Naturalust
Mel Belli
DandelionPowderman
Mel Belli
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Mel Belli

why would we do that?

Route 66 has it, too.

Yes!

I read you, partner.

I've tried to document Keith's use of the technique on tunings other than open-G to absolve him of the charge that it's all a Ry Cooder ripoff.

lol. I believe anyone who is truly familiar with both Keith and Ry's use of the open G tuning could really accuse Keith of ripping much off besides the tuning itself. They quite obviously took it to very different places. It would have been great to be a fly on the wall when Ry and Keith initially talked open G though!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 02:11

Ok, excuse my ignorance. I checked iTunes, and how are folks hearing the album already? Only two songs are on iTunes . . .

Thanks for helping a brother out!

Date: August 24, 2015 02:34

Hey Mel Belli, this whole "guitar corner" is actually a good idea and I could see it working for a lot of the Stones records too!

Date: August 24, 2015 02:50

Naturalust
Hey Mel Belli, this whole "guitar corner" is actually a good idea and I could see it working for a lot of the Stones records too!

Here's hoping for another Stones record. Let's do it!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home