Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Rolling Stones' PUNK
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 20, 2008 10:21

Here is my list. Yours?

The Rolling Stones' PUNK

I Wanna Be Your Man
Money
She Said Yeah
Under My Thumb (Got Live If You Wanted version)
Get Off Of My Cloud (Got Live If You Wanted version)
The Last Time (Got Live If You Wanted version)
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow (Got Live If You Wanted version)
Satisfaction (Got Live If You Wanted version)
Stray Cat Blues (studio version)
Lies
Respectable
Shattered
When The Whip Comes Down (Sucking In The Seventies live version)
Where The Boys Go
Fight
Hold Back
Flip The Switch
Too Tight
Oh No Not You Again
She's So Cold (LSTNT movie version)
Hang Fire (LSTNT movie version)
Dirty Work

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-21 12:40 by 1962.

Re: The Rolling Stones' PUNK
Date: November 20, 2008 10:56

Lies
Where The Boys Go
Respectable
Shattered (more skah, though)
She Said Yeah
Summer Romance

Date: November 20, 2008 10:58

I chose pre PUNK songs also because of the punkish attitude.What's your opinion?

Date: November 20, 2008 10:59

Summer Romance ? Maybe.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 20, 2008 11:05

good call on having the GLIYWI tracks on this list. I think that era and the late 70's stones have a lot in common.

I would replace ONNYA with a live version of Rough Justice.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 20, 2008 11:32

She´s so cold and the upspeeded versions on the LSTNT movie

Date: November 20, 2008 11:45

Hang Fire (LSTNT movie version)

Date: November 20, 2008 11:53

She's So Cold was also very PUNK on the 1982 Wembley show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 11:53 by 1962.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2008 12:40

I chose pre PUNK songs also because of the punkish attitude.What's your opinion?

Songs like She Said Yeah, I Wanna Be Your Man and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby were as influential to the punk bands as anything by The New York Dolls, Stooges or Velvets. At loads of parties I went to in London in late 76 and 77 the harder, faster r'n'b stuff was still cool.

Date: November 20, 2008 12:47

The main elements of the PUNK attitude were invented by The Rolling Stones and The Who.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 20, 2008 12:58

The main elements of the PUNK attitude were invented by The Rolling Stones and The Who.

Or Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley...

Date: November 20, 2008 13:08

I think Bo or Chuck never been PUNK.Punk came from white kids.

Date: November 20, 2008 13:11

Remembering those mid 70s days/parties and what was being played I'd also say The Small Faces and The Kinks. The Kinks were a big influence on The Buzzcocks in terms of subject matter. But bands like Hawkwind and The Pink Fairies were also important as I'd see the likes of Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious at those gigs. Also Dr Feelgood and Eddie and The Hot Rods to a lesser extent. In London at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 14:06 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 20, 2008 13:46

Sweet Black Angel live sounded very punk...

Date: November 20, 2008 13:52

"Sweet Black Angel live sounded very punk..." Yeah, but played only once and the quality is very bad.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 20, 2008 13:54

Real London punk kids in the late 70's hated The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin and any other 'dinosaur' band from the previous decade (Pink Floyd being a notable exception)

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 20, 2008 13:55

Of course they did, but they also couldn't understand where punk came from, and The Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles all punked out with glory. The Sex Pistols loved The Who by the way...

Date: November 20, 2008 13:57

They hated, but copied their early years.

Date: November 20, 2008 13:59

And the genesis for punk started with folks like Gene Vincent, early elvis, Jerry Lee and other greasers! Big white boy punks....or as the Tubes joked...white punks on dope!

Date: November 20, 2008 14:16

I think Bo or Chuck never been PUNK.Punk came from white kids.

Middle-class white kids in Surrey & Kent trying to sound like poor black men from Mississippi & Chicago. It only came out as "punk" because they never quite got it "right".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 14:21 by Sleepy City.

Date: November 20, 2008 14:16

jamesfdouglas
Real London punk kids in the late 70's hated The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin and any other 'dinosaur' band from the previous decade (Pink Floyd being a notable exception)

Complete bollocks. I went to college with Johnny Lydon and Sid Vicious, attended loads of parties where they were at and the whole nascent London punk scene. They hated what those bands became but not what they started out as. When Johnny Rotten auditioned for his Sex Pistols gig the band got him to sing Substitute. John, Sid, and The Damned worshipped Syd Barrett. Captain Sensible was the biggest fan of The Soft Machine.
It was what those bands became that was seen as the act of betrayal that fuelled punk. Playing arenas where fans couldn't seen them anymore, charging exhorbitant ticket prices and generally bringing in lengthy solos and longer songs into their sets. Prog was generally despised by all but not the roots of modern rock music.

Date: November 20, 2008 14:19

whitem8
And the genesis for punk started with folks like Gene Vincent, early elvis, Jerry Lee and other greasers! Big white boy punks....or as the Tubes joked...white punks on dope!

Again, white kids (if not exactly imitating) highly influenced by the music that the poor blacks were making.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jerry Lee, Gene Vincent, The (early) Rolling Stones & The Who etc as much as I love black rhythm 'n' blues / rock 'n' roll, but let's give credit where it's due (& the 60s "punk" groups were far more into copying Berry & Diddley songs than they were Vincent & Lewis).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-20 14:20 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 20, 2008 14:36

The 1966 Honolulu-show is pure punk rock to me.

The Stones had this attitude at least ten years
earlier before this kind of music was labeled "punk".

N

Date: November 20, 2008 14:38

The real Rolling Stones PUNK tour was 1978!

Date: November 20, 2008 14:42

Jagger was a great Rotten parody in 1978, but of course a selfparody, too.SNL.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 20, 2008 22:35

As far as I remember "Lies" was against Punk

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: November 20, 2008 23:14

There's no stones' punk!
they're kick ass rocknroll , but they never sounded like punk , they have nothing to do with it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 20, 2008 23:17

Are you kidding mexicostone? as they are the first PUNK band

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 21, 2008 00:21

> Real London punk kids in the late 70's hated The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin and any other 'dinosaur' band from the previous decade (Pink Floyd being a notable exception)

what about "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirts?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 21, 2008 00:40

whitem8
Of course they did, but they also couldn't understand where punk came from, and The Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles all punked out with glory. The Sex Pistols loved The Who by the way...

In a 1977 interview the Pistols, Steve Jones and Paul Cook I think, ran through a list of all the 'old fart' band members they couldn't stand. Daltrey was at the top of their list.

The Who, Stones, Kinks and Beatles weren't 'punk' in the 60s. They weren't musical or social anarchists out to 'destroy'. They were out to play music and have fun. They didn't aim to overthrow any previous popular musical culture. They didn't believe they had 'No Future'.

Their common roots were Ameriacn R&B and to some extent skiffle. If any musical/social strand united them in the sixties it was Modism and the Swinging times or later, via dope and psychadelia, their shared 'Hippiedom' of the late 60s. All positive stuff.

And I'd say Pink Floyd were the MOST hated of the 'old order' bands.

The Stones were the most influenced by punk, and the Who perhaps the least influenced - although didn't they do well out of Quadrophenia - and ina similar vein, Pink Floyd, out of The Wall.

Silverdagger's spot on. (In Britain) Dr Feelgood and The Hot Rods. Feelgood's 1975(?) straight, basic and very abrasive R&B in Mono - with bare black and white album cover. ("Down By The Jetty")

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-21 01:31 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home