Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Farewell Tour for the Stones?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 9, 2008 23:32

Hey friends. So I was thinking, if the Rolling Stones DO choose to do another major world tour, it should be billed as the farewell tour - for a couple of reasons. One, is the obvious return (both financial and critical) it could generate for them. Once we got past the fact 30 or so years ago that, despite the odds, they simply aren't going to retire any time soon, I think the public began to take for granted a bit the idea that a new Stones tour is inevitable as Christmas or an election. Perhaps that is why, though the Bigger Bang tour did incredibly well, it didn't sell AS many tickets as it could have. "well, we're busy that night, but we can always catch them next tour". If they promise the world that this is, indeed, "the last time" - people should come out in droves. attendance-wise, it really could be the biggest bang.

The other benefit to them doing a legitimate farewell tour would be this: Retirement. Yes, we all know it's hard to say goodbye ... there are undoubtedly those of us who leaned on the promise of a new Stones tour to keep moving forward with our own lives when times were hard. But - IF they're going to do it again - do it right and go out on top. Nobody's getting any younger or necessarily better. I'd like to see a dignified ending if they plan to continue as a live band in any capacity. Now, should the last tour be the final one, then that WAS a dignified ending. But it's 100% plausible they have at least one more really good tour in them, but if they do, I say DO IT - and let the fans know that's it.

Afterward, we can finally stop the endless speculation as to whether there will be another tour. We can have one more great ride, and spend the next 40 years reflecting on the great memories of the LAST 40 years. smileys with beer

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded ramble ... too much coffee this late in the afternoon does things to one's mind.

Re: Farewell Tour for the Stones?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 9, 2008 23:59

They're far too young to retire. If Jerry Lee, Chuck, B.B. & Little Richard can still do great shows on a good night then I don't see why Mick & the lads can't for many years to come.

Date: November 10, 2008 00:11

Sleepy City, I'd agree with you except for this - do you really think Jerry Lee, Chuck and little Richard still put on "great"shows? Most of Chuck B's shows are, from what I hear, a joke these days. And I HAVE seen Jerry Lee recently, and while it was a fun show, he is barely a shadow of his former self. (I won't even mention old BB King who, bless his heart, has to sit in a chair the entire show due to understandable health issues).

I just think that those guys haven't been able to do a show on par with their golden age in years & years, whereas the Stones as recently as 2 years ago were (arguably) still able to give the audience a performance that matched, at least, the caliber of their late 70's.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 10, 2008 00:14

The stones won't do that.Whoever has listen to Mick and Keith carefully knows that they don't need to do that.If the stones are in shape and the public is willing to come to their shows, they'll annonce a tour and go.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: November 10, 2008 00:14

No one would believe them.........

Status Quo have been saying farewell for the last 15 tours!!!!!!!

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: November 10, 2008 00:52

when the time comes i hope the stones go out on top.

i would hate it if they continue for years with only 1 or 2 of the origonal members.

Date: November 10, 2008 00:54

Fingers

Agreed...the most recent was ABB...hoping for for them to return in the "Steel Wheelchairs Tour" 2009-2010!
smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 10, 2008 01:17

Who has ever announced a Farewell Tour and stuck with it? They always end up following it with a Comeback Tour. I hate the entire premise.

Date: November 10, 2008 02:09

Well, I typically hate the premise too. But how many artists closer to 70 than 60 have announced a farewell tour? The chance the Stones WOULD stick with it is likely. I would be glad if they did, personally. Ever great ride has to have some end, and for myself, I'd like to see some great final act (or at least a satisfying one).

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 10, 2008 03:14

gee i heard the same thing in 1972,75,78,81,89,97,99,on and on and on and.....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 10, 2008 04:06

exactly, for them to retire at this point one of the four members either has to quit or die imo, or they will never stop

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 10, 2008 16:34

wee bobby lennox
when the time comes i hope the stones go out on top.

It's too late for that. 36 years too late, to be exact.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 10, 2008 16:40

melillo
exactly, for them to retire at this point one of the four members either has to quit or die imo, or they will never stop

And that's just the way it should be (I also think that the others would go on without Ronnie if it came to that).

Date: November 10, 2008 16:58

Sleepy City
melillo

And that's just the way it should be (I also think that the others would go on without Ronnie if it came to that).

They would also go on without Charlie.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2008 17:07

Saw Jerry Lee last week in London and he rocked. At the age of 80. And he ain't giving up so why should the Stones. Now, if they decided to slow things down a bit and do an unplugged tour or unearth some of their lesser played slower/acoustic numbers, that's a different thought altogether.

And by the way, happy to report that this is my 1000th post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-10 17:10 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 10, 2008 17:09

People have been saying it's the last tour since 1966.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 10, 2008 17:25

'Farewell tours' are chessy and nearly always proove to be false. I would be dissapointed if the Stones were to ever go down such a road.

Posted by: yap is not dead ()
Date: November 10, 2008 19:09

The Menace of Mayfair
People have been saying it's the last tour since 1966.

Yeah, the year I was born!

This topic comes up quite often. Why, I do not know. Some people seem to want to put older folks in a box and make them act their age. Its bullshit. They can do whatever they want to do. The World will still spin either way.It will, though, be a lot poorer and certainly more boring without them.

Another thing, why does someone decide the fate of people they have no control over and don't even know them? What if I said: "Ok imposter, time for you to get a divorce(if you're married) and end it with dignity"?You can't decide for people.

Yes, it will end. We all will. When it happens, I'm sure whatever way they decide to do it will be fine. Its not like we have any say in the matter anyway, and thats a good thing. Right now we're trying to replace Woody with Eric and losing respect for him. Surely he will need some help on this "farewell" tour. Its all Male Bovine Excrement. They seem fine, they will tour till they drop if they want to, and I will be there. I do not want the next tour, if their is one, to be the last.

Why would anyone who claims to love this band want it to end?
Till The Next Goodbye

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: November 10, 2008 20:13

The Stones won't ever do a farewell tour.
Someday, they'll just stop to tour, because one of them would have died or because they won't be able to keep on touring.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: yap is not dead ()
Date: November 10, 2008 20:18

"Most of Chuck B's shows are, from what I hear, a joke these days."

I simply can't believe this. Chuck Berry is the True king of R'nR. Elvis who ? If you want to know the true path to the beginning of this music, you must follow this mans foot prints. I know the older blues guys had a major influence also, but Chuck Berry, I truly believe, is the father of the music. Think about it, you'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-10 20:20 by yap is not dead.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 10, 2008 21:00

There have been so many false reports of them doing it before, I hope they never do announce one, it gives no room to change their minds and look like prats. (like the Who and Bowie for example)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 10, 2008 22:01

Fingers

Why wouldn't you believe it?
If they'd really anounce something like that - I guess I would.

They have never said anything like it before (and they won't)
only some cheesy press or tv jerks keep mentioning it.
...but they usually will also inform ya that Ronnie plays the bass eye rolling smiley

Posted by: jane tarzan ()
Date: November 10, 2008 22:30

theimposter
Sleepy City, I'd agree with you except for this - do you really think Jerry Lee, Chuck and little Richard still put on "great"shows? Most of Chuck B's shows are, from what I hear, a joke these days.

I agree, except that Chuck's shows have been a joke since the late seventies. He let's his bitternes rule and he just doesn't seem to care. The Rolling Stones shows have never been a joke. Maybe a bit embarrasing sometimes, but never a joke. There is a huge difference.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 10, 2008 22:34

Well perhaps if they ever did do a last tour it would simply be called The Last Time.

I really doubt they're going to go that route with such a thing - it would just, finally, solidify the press corps last shout of the usual and they'd all brag about finally being right.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 10, 2008 22:48

disagree about them going on without charlie or ronnie, just dont think it would happen imo

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: November 10, 2008 23:18

I think The Dubliners have found a suitable motto for their neverending touring: "Too late to stop now-Tour". Momentarily they are doing part 4 of this tour.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 11, 2008 00:17

This and the next two (to semi-quote Keith)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-11-11 01:06 by shortfatfanny.

Date: November 11, 2008 05:49

melillo
disagree about them going on without charlie or ronnie, just dont think it would happen imo

In a 2005 Rolling Stone interview, Charlie said he expects Mick and Keith to someday carry on without him. Surprisingly, he seems to have no problem with this. If they'd go on without Charlie, they'd certainly go on without Ronnie.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 11, 2008 05:56

there would be no reason for them to do this, it would be like admitting that, if they havent already lost their way, then they are just about there

dignified?? cant see them too worried about that

reminds me of Pete Townshend introducing them to the R & R Hall of Fame, commenting "dont grow old gracefully [dignified] boys, it wouldnt suit you."

p

Posted by: noexpectations ()
Date: November 11, 2008 06:10

The glimmer twins would never do a farewell tour. They would just stop.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home