Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
OT: AC/DC posts and info here please
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 1, 2008 00:05

IORR is a Stones board. I do know a lot of you are excited about AC/DC too, but there are many other bands, and I will not allow IORR to be filled up by new AC/DC posts every day. Please DO respect the policy. If you have something to say about AC/DC, like tour or record info, then please post it here. If you need to dig deeper into AC/DC them I am sure there are some superfan places on the net dedicated to AC/DC. Feel free to post that info too here... Thanks!

Bjornulf
IORR Editor

Bjornulf

OT: AC/DC all posts here... Black Ice flying off the shelves
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 22, 2008 04:07

ICING THE BUCK: AC/DC hit Wal-Mart stores yesterday and are reportedly blowing the doors off of the retail giant. We are told that sales for the exclusive Black Ice release are out-pacing the Eagles' first week, which was also a Wal-Mart exclusive. Estimates for first week are currently ranging between 750k and 900k, which would make it the biggest Sony BMG release in the past two years, besting Alicia Keys' 742k mark set last November. It would also make it the biggest rock release from any label over the last two years, beating the 721k sold by Coldplay last June. Will it have enough steam to catch the one- million march? Stay tuned. (10/21p)

Awesome, sometime this Thursday/Friday, Black Ice will surpass the ABB album total (545k) of 3+ years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-29 12:14 by bv.

Re: OT: Black Ice flying off the shelves
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:19

Just read online from a couple different reports how well it's selling in Europe (100k for Britain and 250k in Germany for first week) and basically all over the world. I'm wondering if more big acts will follow this trend in the US of having their album exclusively at Walmart. I read they ordered 2.5 million copies of the CD non returnable so you know they're going to have massive advertising for it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:26

angry smiley I don't get it! All of their songs sound the same!!!

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: October 23, 2008 01:29

mickschix

No they dont.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 23, 2008 02:01

I love AC/DC, but I just don't understand why a band that qualifies as a warm-up act for the Stones is doing so much better in terms of retail sales for their new album.

In other words, why is Black Ice kicking ABB's ass at the cash register?

Drew

Date: October 23, 2008 02:05

drewmaster
I love AC/DC, but I just don't understand why a band that qualifies as a warm-up act for the Stones is doing so much better in terms of retail sales for their new album.

Drew

everyband is an opening act for the stones but ac/dc have a better label, better marketing and stick with what they do best

Date: October 23, 2008 02:11

keefriffhard4life

everyband is an opening act for the stones but ac/dc have a better label, better marketing and stick with what they do best

I agree with the first two points (except I would say "HAD" a better label, now that the Stones have escaped the clutches of Virgin). It's amazing to me that someone as financially astute as Mick would allow the Stones to have such dismal marketing for their records.

Drew

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: October 23, 2008 02:17

drewmaster

Because they blew the Stones off the stage big time when they opened for them.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 23, 2008 02:25

mickschix

They're hip, hot and current with strong support on the radio and good credibility among general music fans, the Stones are a big nostalgia act with almost zero support on the radio and almost zero credibility among general music fans.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:22

I wouldn't shop at that shithole with your credit card!

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:37

"Hell is other people's music."

Date: October 23, 2008 03:52

Here in Canada, Black Ice was for sale in a regular nationally franchised music shop (CD Plus). I thought only Walmart had the selling rights.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:57

Yes its out of control....I had to duck to avoid being decapitated on isle 12.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:57

drewmaster

Drew

AC/DC are not elitists. Look at the price for their concert ticket...$92. They are not shutting the younger kids out with $450, $250 tickets. The Stones play for the wealthy and like to surround themselves in that lifestyle. Nothing right or wrong about it, it's just how I see it.

PLUS...AC/DC "plays" the music, not "perform" it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 23, 2008 05:03

Black Ice - Under $12
No Bull DVD - $10
Most of Back catalog - $7
AC/DC T-shits $7.50 (so the quality is not that great)

Hate Wal-mart, don't ever shop there. For whatever reason you wish, stay out of the store, I respect that....It just leaves a larger selection of their items at fan-friendly prices for folks like me!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:11

Hasse78
mickschix

No they dont.
Yes they do!
And I love each and every one of them.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:17

georgelicks
mickschix

They're hip, hot and current with strong support on the radio and good credibility among general music fans, the Stones are a big nostalgia act with almost zero support on the radio and almost zero credibility among general music fans.

So true and so sad.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:38

I am not that happy about Black Ice, but it's quite a good album. I think it could have been better if downsized to 10 or 11 tracks, as often these days.

ACDC's previous CD was released 8 years ago, and was followed by a huge tour.
The band's image is positive, and the band's members are not known for being present in the gossip section of any newspaper day after day.
This, added to a solid rock without surprises, excellent live shows and affordable prices explains why the band is popular.

I'm pretty sure that Metallica and ACDC will probably be among the 5 best album sales of the year. Real musicians, real performers.

The Stones are also real musicians and awesome performers, but they are not really making a come back, and their ticket prices aren't as affordable. Add a lousy record label, almost no promotion of their latest issues, and you may have the explanation...

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:44

I've heard Black Ice. It sure is an AC/DC album isn't it? Do you ever feel that AC/DC can be a little too AC/DC? I have that feeling all the time. It's just balls rock that doesn't want to go anywhere. Great playing of course (Though a bit too "hard" for my tastes), but the songs aren't quite there (And never has). I usually cook AC/DC down to 2 songs: Back In Black and Thunderstruck.
And those songs doesn't really cut it for me either. It's just the ones I like out of the ones I've heard (And I've heard quite a few).
AC/DC is supposed to be about fun (Someone here mentioned that). That's one of the reasons it doesn't catch on to me. It doesn't have much substance other than skilled rock musicians doing their thing (And then you might as well hear the God awful Van Halen or even worse: Bon Jovi). One must remember to have fun of course, but to base a whole music (!!!!!) career on it, is crazy.
I know many people who like AC/DC a lot. The reasons for liking them are either a- They like to get "hard-rocked" (These people also like Good Charlotte and post-grunge bands in general), or b- AC/DC is kitsch (Very common to like something kitsch in Denmark), so "we can all be lame and rock out together".

Not falling for it.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 23, 2008 11:50

Doc
Add a lousy record label, almost no promotion of their latest issues, and you may have the explanation...

But perhaps that's subject to change, since they've signed a new record deal? Virgin became a mess for them for sure. Hopefully Universal will do a much better job (The rumors at least sound promising).

On another note: I read that U2 made 18 million bucks on their 12 year deal with Live Nation. Apparently U2 got some stocks/shares in Live Nation, when they signed with them. The stocks went way up I heard, and now they can cash in 18 mill. I bet Jagger is biting his hand. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 23, 2008 11:56

JumpingKentFlash
I've heard Black Ice. It sure is an AC/DC album isn't it? Do you ever feel that AC/DC can be a little too AC/DC? I have that feeling all the time. It's just balls rock that doesn't want to go anywhere. Great playing of course (Though a bit too "hard" for my tastes), but the songs aren't quite there (And never has). I usually cook AC/DC down to 2 songs: Back In Black and Thunderstruck.
And those songs doesn't really cut it for me either. It's just the ones I like out of the ones I've heard (And I've heard quite a few).
AC/DC is supposed to be about fun (Someone here mentioned that). That's one of the reasons it doesn't catch on to me. It doesn't have much substance other than skilled rock musicians doing their thing (And then you might as well hear the God awful Van Halen or even worse: Bon Jovi). One must remember to have fun of course, but to base a whole music (!!!!!) career on it, is crazy.
I know many people who like AC/DC a lot. The reasons for liking them are either a- They like to get "hard-rocked" (These people also like Good Charlotte and post-grunge bands in general), or b- AC/DC is kitsch (Very common to like something kitsch in Denmark), so "we can all be lame and rock out together".

Not falling for it.

you don't like "moneytalks" or "given the dog a bone"?

Date: October 23, 2008 12:20

keefriffhard4life
JumpingKentFlash

Not falling for it.

you don't like "moneytalks" or "given the dog a bone"?

I don't know if I ever heard them. Usually I forget song titles if I don't think the songs are worth listening to.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:43

Been listening to it since Monday. not sure if it's just me, but i'm not finding it as accessible as Stiff upper Lip.

Think I’ve fallen victim to ‘review fever’ all the glowing reviews have got my expectations so high that it would be difficult for the album to match them, as opposed to stiff upper lip, which I hadn’t heard much about before its release. Found it to be a really strong album, especially the first three quarters of it.

Oh well, maybe it a grower, sometimes great albums reward with repeated listens.

Got me ticket for Birmingham LG Arena though. SWEEET!!!

Date: October 23, 2008 12:48

The fact that you can't get Black Ice on iTunes has probably helped the CD sales too.

Drew

Date: October 23, 2008 13:06

I'm sure you'd love Ride On, Kent. But I get your point.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 23, 2008 13:52

drewmaster

1. the only reason AC/DC played support to the Stones is out of respect and love for the Stones. they already headline the likes of Hockenheim themselves. so it wasn't some sort of coup for AC/DC

2. the reason BI is selling more than ABB is equally simple. its a far better album being the main one

AC/DC are still a real rock band. they haven't gone all Las Vegas (as yet). sadly the Stones aren't really a gigging band now, they're more of a night out for people who don't really go to gigs that much anymore. the corporate sorts - and the old blue rinsers that will happilly pay $400 for a seat so they don't get surrounded by oiks LOL

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 23, 2008 14:08

I considered AC/DC "prolo rock" (don't know how/if that translates) for quite some time, but I've really come to appreciate them and I think they really really rock - the new albums is just cool too, many songs I like - Decibel is really good for example!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 23, 2008 14:22

Heard that Back In Black will overtake Michael Jackson as the biggset seller of all time...yippee

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2008 14:44

Lorenz
I considered AC/DC "prolo rock" (don't know how/if that translates) for quite some time, but I've really come to appreciate them and I think they really really rock - the new albums is just cool too, many songs I like - Decibel is really good for example!

they're a band I can take in small doses, but I like their new album, even though its a bit over-long.

Really like "Spoiling for a fight". A song which sounds - in mood and style - like it would have fitted very nicely on "Undercover" or "Dirty Work"

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home