Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: John Paul Jones Hints At Led Zeppelin Tour Without Robert Plant
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 28, 2008 12:02

I just read that on his wikipedia page. Apparaently when Page and Plant were touring someone asked Plant where Jones was and he awsnered that he was parking the car...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 28, 2008 12:36

I´ve read in an interview with Jones that he was very dissapointed by not being asked to tour with Page & Plant. The explanation Plant gave was that they didn´t want it to be a Zeppelin reunion, so therefore they never asked Jones.

Date: October 28, 2008 13:16

Norwegian papers report that Steven Tyler has been jamming with Zep extensively during the last days.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 28, 2008 13:56

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:03

shortfatfanny
I just read on rolling stone website(german version) they rehearsed with
Steven Tyler.

(Un-)fortunately he didn´t made it.

Anyway,we had this discussion some weeks ago,and without Plant,it´s nothing.

Although some of you think with him as well...

So we obviously don´t get

LED AEROLINE

As I said...smileys with beer

Posted by: yap is not dead ()
Date: October 28, 2008 14:05

Maybe they could hire Allison Krauss to sing for them.

Date: October 28, 2008 14:41

<I just read on rolling stone website(german version) they rehearsed with
Steven Tyler.

(Un-)fortunately he didn´t made it.>

What does that mean? Didn't Tyler make it as a jamming partner? Or was he not good enough to join them on tour? I didn't find anything about Tyler didn't make it.

Anybody?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 28, 2008 15:44

Wuudy
If Plant and Page toured together and now Page and Jones want to tour together then why wasn't Jones on the tour in the '80's?

You mean the Page/Plant tours of 1995 and 1998? I think they were saving the full-blown Led Zeppelin tour for some unspecified time in the future. It was a case of "Let's make a whole lotta money now as Page/Plant, then, in a few years, we'll bring in Jones and REALLY make some serious cash as Led Zeppelin". Only now, Plant doesn't wanna do it. I don't blame Page for going ahead with this at all. He'll be 65 in January. It's now or never. If Plant don't wanna do it, screw him. Page is right to go ahead and do it without him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-28 15:45 by tatters.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 28, 2008 16:40

DandelionPowderman
<I just read on rolling stone website(german version) they rehearsed with
Steven Tyler.

(Un-)fortunately he didn´t made it.>

What does that mean? Didn't Tyler make it as a jamming partner? Or was he not good enough to join them on tour? I didn't find anything about Tyler didn't make it.

Anybody?

It´s said there that they had a lot of fun but he didn´t manage to do his "intros",whatever this means...

Date: October 28, 2008 18:01

Strange

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 28, 2008 18:08

Presumably they will be called "Page and Jones" then......or "Jones and Page".
Sounds like a firm of provincial solicitors.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 28, 2008 18:29

If they do feel they have do it now without Plant, I hope they get a talented and perhaps relatively unknown young vocalist on board...rather than some big name veteran Rock tonsils.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 28, 2008 18:42

Spud
If they do feel they have do it now without Plant, I hope they get a talented and perhaps relatively unknown young vocalist on board...rather than some big name veteran Rock tonsils.

Well they could always check out:
The X Factor
Britain's Got Talent
If not I'm sure Simon Cowell could advise.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 28, 2008 19:39

Svartmer
I´ve read in an interview with Jones that he was very dissapointed by not being asked to tour with Page & Plant. The explanation Plant gave was that they didn´t want it to be a Zeppelin reunion, so therefore they never asked Jones.

Exactly, that was the reason. It wasn't anything personal against Jones. Although I loved Plant's tongue-in-cheek response when one reporter asked him why Jones wasn't involved: "Because a million dollars split two ways is more than a million dollars split three ways."

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 28, 2008 19:41

Ket
Surely they won't bill themselves as Led Zeppelin without Plant, would they?

Picture this:

LED ZEPPELIN & GARY CHERONE

It worked for Queen & Paul Rodgers afterall.

Date: October 28, 2008 19:44

tatters
Wuudy
If Plant and Page toured together and now Page and Jones want to tour together then why wasn't Jones on the tour in the '80's?

You mean the Page/Plant tours of 1995 and 1998? I think they were saving the full-blown Led Zeppelin tour for some unspecified time in the future. It was a case of "Let's make a whole lotta money now as Page/Plant, then, in a few years, we'll bring in Jones and REALLY make some serious cash as Led Zeppelin". Only now, Plant doesn't wanna do it. I don't blame Page for going ahead with this at all. He'll be 65 in January. It's now or never. If Plant don't wanna do it, screw him. Page is right to go ahead and do it without him.

Page was ready to bring in Jones and have it be a Zeppelin reunion, but Plant wasn't going for it, so they left out Jones and called it Page/Plant. That was the reason, not because they were saving the Zeppelin reunion for later. Page and Jones have wanted to reunite Zeppelin since shortly after they broke up but Plant has always been against it.

Date: October 28, 2008 19:49

Spud

They have been rehearsing with a guy named Myles Kennedy, here's a link to his wikipedia page: [en.wikipedia.org]

It sounds like he's a pretty accomplished vocalist and guitarist. It would be nice to have a second guitar in the band.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: October 28, 2008 20:52

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 28, 2008 21:01

I heard they're replacing a (Robert) Plant with a (Kate) Bush.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 21:34

They could call themselves PB&J! If they're serious about replacing Plant, the singer from Great White would fit in nicely if they're looking for someone who sounds like Plant. Great White do a wicked version of Baby I'm Gonna Leave You.

Date: October 28, 2008 21:43

DGA35
They could call themselves PB&J! If they're serious about replacing Plant, the singer from Great White would fit in nicely if they're looking for someone who sounds like Plant. Great White do a wicked version of Baby I'm Gonna Leave You.

And if the crowd boos, he can set them on fire!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 28, 2008 22:09

Here's who I'd chose!

Whole lotta love

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 28, 2008 22:21

R
Ket
Surely they won't bill themselves as Led Zeppelin without Plant, would they?

Picture this:

LED ZEPPELIN & GARY CHERONE

It worked for Queen & Paul Rodgers afterall.

Yeah,but it didn't work for Van Haleneye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 28, 2008 22:55

Who on earth would go see Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page...???? Would you really go see a band calling themselves the Rolling Stones with Rod Stewart or Steven Tyler "borrowed" as the lead singer? Hmmmm. On second thought...

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 29, 2008 01:36

I will lose a lot of respect for Page and Jones if they do, indeed, tour with the name Led Zeppelin.

But, will they do it, anyway? Probably.

It's simple economics. Accountants will sit down with them and simply say:

Here's the amount of money you will make if you bill yourselves as Led Zeppelin....ticket sales, live album, DVD, t shirts and God Knows What other kinds of merchandising .....

NOW.....Here's the amount of money you would make if you called it Page, Jones, Bonham & Smith (or whoever the heck it will be). You guys choose.

Pretty much a no brainer.

Would I still go see 'em? Probably, but I'd have a hard time looking someone in the face and telling them that I had seen Led Zep.

And, for the record, I thought the 1994 Pink Floyd tour was great. Three original members, just like it used to be with the Who.....as far as I am concerned, I DID see Pink Floyd, even without Roger.

I wouldn't spend much money to see the 2008 version of the Who, even though I'm a die hard fan of the group. It helps to have already seen them four times, I guess, the first time in 1975 with Keith Moon.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:10

Yeah, I agree I would lose a lot of respect for the Zeppelin brand name if it was without Plant. I also saw the Floyd show and it was good, but a bit antiseptic, and did miss Roger's presence. As I said above with The Who it doesn't bother me as much since Roger and Pete (especially Pete) are The Who. Heck Roger is the one who started the group and used to be their guitarist!! Then asked Pete to join.
I like the idea of PB&J that is catchy.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:55

For some reason everybody, including me, feels that the band is gone if the singer and "main" guitarist are not on stage. Although you could say the Who are Rogers and Pete's band but John Entwistle and Keith Moon were arguably the best bass player and drummer in rock history therefor you would loose a lot/to much in the band. Although i think Zack Starkey is as good of a replacement for Moon as you can get, nobody can fill John Entwistle shoes.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:27

Yes I agree about Entwhistle, but after Keith died they still called themselves The Who, and I think they continue calling themselves The Who as respect to honor their friends who passed. It is kind of like a fighting spirit to keep the magic alive through the name and the music.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:39

It's one thing for the Who to tour after two founding members have died, but another entirely for Page and Jones to tour as Led Zeppelin while Plant is still alive. My guess is that this has all been long since sorted out contractually and that no combination of the two of them can use the Led Zeppelin name while all three surviving members are alive. I'd imagine that their situation is much like the surviving members of the Doors, where nothing gets done in the Doors name without all three surviving members and Morrison's estate signing off.

This situation is different from Pink Floyd touring without Roger Waters. Waters gave Gilmour and Mason the Pink Floyd name in a fit of hubris when he left, thinking that they weren't capable of carrying on in his absence.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:45

Tyler, Kennedy, who knows. Maybe Page will do what he did with the Outrider record and have several vocalists on tour each doing 3 or four songs.

….Now that sounds ridiculous, I know. When they announce who will be fronting the band, I will make judgment at that time. In other words, wake me up when you guys decide what you’re gonna do, Jimmy & Jonesy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home