Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hotels in NYC
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:53

Very OT so I wouldn't be surprised if it was deleted...

I'm getting married, going to NYC for our honeymoon... I need some suggestions regarding where to stay! I know there are quite a few New York natives on this board, and I'm curious what advice if any you would have.

I'm looking for...
1. a good rate
2. nice hotel, not a dive
3. within reasonable walking distance from the subway

If you can be of any help it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: OT: Hotels in NYC
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:59

Priceline

Go 4 star or 3 star and bid what you want....what price range are you looking at?

ALSO...what time of year? Boutique hotel or brand name?

Date: October 23, 2008 04:07

I'm hoping in the $100 to $175 range, but thats very optimistic. Down south its easy to get a great room at an incredible price. I don't expect that in NYC.

I want to avoid the dives at all cost. Just a nice hotel that wont give us the creeps. Early March 2009.

Date: October 23, 2008 04:19

Well, the good thing is you have time...try what I first suggested and keep trying. Friends of mine got a room at the Inter-Continental (midtown east)through Priceline for $150, that was about 8 months ago.

On the other hand, I stayed in the city a few weeks ago and couldn't get a room for less then $250 on Priceline...I believe it was difficult due to the 3 day weekend. (Columbus Day)

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: October 23, 2008 04:47

go to expedia.com and put in New York and the dates you will be there.
Sort the hotel listings by price and it will list all hotels available those dates with price, star rating (quality) of hotel, description of hotel, pictures of rooms and lobby, map, etc.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: October 23, 2008 06:53

I usually stay at The Comfort Inn Central Park West; 69 West 71st St. Great rates, nice neighborhood, 1 block from subway and The Dakota.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 23, 2008 07:25

Try these -

[www.eurocheapo.com]

I know the kids who run this site really check out the hotels before they recommend them. It's ALL Europe + NYC. I think it's great. also,

[www.tripadvisor.com] thousands and thousands of reviews of Hotels all over the world by the people who stayed there - GREAT stuff !!!!

GOOD LUCK !!! Travelin' the Heavens, the Universe, a Zillion Solar Systems, and Beyond, Helter

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 23, 2008 07:36

At work today, a kid (I call him a kid - 3 years out of college) returned from his first trip to the East Coast to visit a college buddy. He was in Manhattan Saturday Night when he and his friend (from D.C.) realized about 1 a.m. that they needed to find a hotel. For an hour they went into hotel after hotel and couldn't find any room for under $300, and these were 2 star hotels.
He made a call to a hotel that had a room in Brooklyn for $69. They went there. He said it was just like those places you see in the movies that rent rooms out by the hour. Anyway, they went back to Manhattan and by 3:30 a.m they were able to find a place, much nicer by comparison for only $250.
My point....it pays to shop around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-23 07:39 by BluzDude.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: October 23, 2008 07:49

flacnvinyl
I'm hoping in the $100 to $175 range, but thats very optimistic. Down south its easy to get a great room at an incredible price. I don't expect that in NYC.

I want to avoid the dives at all cost. Just a nice hotel that wont give us the creeps. Early March 2009.

No chance of a nice NYC joint in that range. Spend $250 a night and stay at the historic Chelsea Hotel.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 23, 2008 08:24

Truth is, NYC is a big RIP OFF these days (See BluzDude's story above), everything is over priced. I used to go in the 80's and stay at the Paramount (Century Paramount) one block from Times Square (this is BEFORE they remodeled and shortened the name to just PARAMOUNT). I paid something like $40 to $50 per room/per night. It wasn't any kind of luxury but it wasn't horrible, a bit rough around the edges but clean and safe. Those were the days when the place - NYC - was REAL, before Manhattan turned into a kind of strange Disneyland as it seems to be now, at least IMHO.......

Flacnvinyl, why not have your Honeymoon in Paris? There's great clean, CHARMING rooms for a little over $100 a night, Amazing food and wine, an extremely beautiful city, and it's only about a 6 hour flight from NYC/JFK - the Euro is dropping like crazy against the Dollar so Paris/Europe is getting cheaper by the day - I'd go for it Dude, you only get a few honeymoons per life time - lol.... Bon Chance, Bon Voyage.....

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:06

Different people have different needs. Personally I prefer an apartment. Much more value for the money.

Date: October 23, 2008 22:49

Apartment Rental in NYC is a good idea.... much cheaper. There are companies in Manhattan that rep these places - I used to have their names and numbers back in the day - so I would goggle "Apartments for short term rent in NYC" or something....

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 23, 2008 23:05

Apartment rental might be your best bet, like said above its crazy what they'll charge for rooms in NYC. Or if you know anyone who is a member of any clubs like the Metropolitian or Harvard Club than you can probably get a good deal at one of those places, but you need to know someone who is a member.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 24, 2008 00:40

Or check craigslist for the vacation rentals. This place looks great for a honeymoon.

[newyork.craigslist.org]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 24, 2008 01:36

flacvinyl/D, congrats!!! (Is this your longtime g/f?)
::reading along too for advice on nyc places to stay::

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 24, 2008 04:14

Whatever hotel you ultimately decide to choose, please don't get suckered into staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania right across from MSG!!! It's got a ***star rating but trust me, it is a major dump!!! eye popping smiley If I were you I would go the 'Priceline' or 'Hotwire' route where you choose what quality hotel you want and then name your price, just make sure you start early enough.

Good luck!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 24, 2008 13:28

Try The Chelsea. Not too expensive and steeped in rock'n'roll history.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: October 24, 2008 15:55

I echo the recommendation for the Chelsea Hotel, and to spend time visiting each floor to admire the artwork in the halls and on the doors.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: October 24, 2008 17:00

The Travel Inn - W42nd Street, nice and clean, not too expensive, 10 min. walk to Times Square, three blocks to Port Authority bus terminal and subway.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 25, 2008 16:55

I stayed in the hotelchelsea several times...last time was 2004.
I dont know if the atmosphere is still the same:nice rooms,not too classy but cozy ,
much art&paintings on the walls and in the lobby.Many famous people have been living there...:

[www.hotelchelsea.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 25, 2008 18:44

I agree with Helter -- You'll never forget a honeymoon in Paris! We can tell you all the affordable, beautiful places to go.

IF you're determined to make it NY the Comfort Inn on 71st previously mentioned is a GREAT location. And probably in the $150 range. Prices in NY are coming down due to the financial crisis. Set the price first...then say it's a honeymoon and perhaps they'll upgrade you.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2008 20:08

NYC is a zoo hotel wise. For a day to remember. Aim high. The closer you get to Central Park the better...

Bjornulf

Date: October 25, 2008 20:31

stonesrule
I agree with Helter -- You'll never forget a honeymoon in Paris!

Every time I look at my beautiful daughter...I'm reminded. grinning smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 25, 2008 22:17

forget a hotel mate, why not rent an apartment instead ?

[newyork.craigslist.org]

i'm renting one for a week when i come over in November. it sleeps three, and is in the East Village. only $160 a night

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: October 26, 2008 01:54

Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton

Date: October 26, 2008 02:17

Thank you all for the advise! Seriously, I really appreciate it. We're still shopping around but I've found a few options and I'm looking into the Chelsea as well.

As for Paris, I would love to but we've decided to head to NYC for a few reasons. Among them, I enjoyed my trip up there for the Beacon, and my girl wants to go see a bunch of art galleries... Hopefully there will be some shows up there around that time. Early March is a ways off, so here's hoping a few good gigs pop up.

And no, this is not my longtime gf. Met her back in April. I know, crash course in dating/engagement, but safe to say that 'when you've got it right, you've got it right'. All of my single friends don't get it, but every married man and woman I know is thrilled for us. I'm not exactly a brash individual, so if I'm this passionate about one girl, you've got to know its very serious.

Thank you again for all the advise. Unfortunately we're not wealthy, neither are our folks, so New York is what we can afford and what we want to do, within the Contenental US. If only we knew someone capable of sending us to Europe... SOME DAY WE'LL GO!!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 26, 2008 02:58

Tell the future MRs. that all she has to do is go online to the New York Times and she will find enough art to rock her world for a long time! Think you both ought to go to Metropolitan Museum (see their website and decide what YOU'd enjoy while she may be looking over something else. Then go up to the roof of the museum for great views and a cold drink. It may not be Paris but it's darned romantic and spectacular!

Personally, I would drop the man who would think of taking me to the Chelsea for a honeymoon. Just a walk into the lobby and a little conversation ought to hold you on that. Which is a great way to check out hotels for the future anyway.
Comfort Inn on 71st near Central Park is definitely worth checking out for your stay. Good neighborhood. Fifth Avenue Bus is worthwile also if you're not an expert on the subway. And a lot to see on that bus ride!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home