Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

classic albums vh1 classic?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 19, 2008 17:52

I notice that the stones dont have one of these specials and most other classic bands do, is it the stones or the networks that dont include our boys in these type of things, who makes these decisions, also no stones behind the music, no stones bootleg series cds, what is this all about?

Re: classic albums vh1 classic?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 19, 2008 17:56

I don't know, but I don't need the Stones in that series.
Anyway, [en.wikipedia.org] - list of all CAs.

Date: October 19, 2008 18:57

why would you not want the stones in that series, i think its very interesting

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 19, 2008 18:59

honestly, I've seen Making Of the Dark Side Of the Moon and it was boring.

Date: October 19, 2008 19:35

I don't think I have seen a single episode of the series that was boring. Hey - I even got into the Phil Collins segment.. Best one might have been "Never mind the Bollocks". I especially like the fact they sit there with multitrack master and boost, mute certain tracks to illustrate a point.

Date: October 19, 2008 19:40

but of course the mighty MR MICK JAGGER could never be subjected to this, this is the only thing that bothers me about the stones, get in the game boys, let your hair down for once

Date: October 19, 2008 23:13

i don't think it's vh1's fault the stones don't have one

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 19, 2008 23:15

I saw the Who talking about Who's Next - it was a great special.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 20, 2008 00:11

Such a shame. Not sure why anyone would not want want them included...they would've been in good company: Hendrix, Elvis, The Band, Lou Reed, Paul Simon...etc etc. Is it some kind of "well, the Stones aren't good enough to be included with the rest of them" excuse?

A special like that would've helped the Stones not taken anything away. If anything...get new fans to appreciate them and even buy the album.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 20, 2008 06:53

well...I saw the The Doors Classic Albums and it reintroduced me to their music.

I haven't listend to them since I bought their repackaged Greatest Hits cassette the day I bought Tattoo You...back in 1981.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2008 12:18

I would imagine that if none of the current people in the Stones camp (i.e musicians /producers etc) were willing to co-operate with a documentary then the BBC wouldn't proceed with a programme.
As far as I know Beggars Banquet has been included on a Radio Classic album programme - may be wrong, and am not sure who contributed.
Strange really, Keith (and to a lesser extent Mick) have been willing to be interviewed from time to time for the occasional documentary.
Could it be that they don't want to be reminded that the late 60's/early 70's work - which I am sure is what the programme makers would go for - is regarded as their best work?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2008 12:33

>> ... the late 60s/early 70s work - which I am sure is what the programme makers would go for ... <<

well, since ABKCO owns the rights to the '60s albums (and even Exile of course has some ABKCO-owned tracks)
maybe ABKCO was/is more of a barrier. a "making of Some Girls" might be a lot more interesting to the Stones.
or Dirty Work :E

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2008 14:17

jlowe
As far as I know Beggars Banquet has been included on a Radio Classic album programme - may be wrong, and am not sure who contributed.

You're correct. I remember that being on BBC radio in the late 80s.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 20, 2008 14:33

I'm a big fan of the Classic Albums series...I have several on dvd.
Often wondered why the Stones weren't part of it.

They could've produced their own series of DVDs like this....while
they were putting together 2002 ABKCO reissues or the 1994 Virgin reissues.

I would think Mick would like doing something like this...and Keith could
be Keith.....and the producers & engineers could tell us how it REALLY happened.
They are on speaking terms with Mick Taylor..right? A chance for a family reunion!

Just another case of how we can't always get what we want.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2008 14:41

They really need a Neil Aspinall type figure in their organisation to manage the whole production for them...and there isn't one.
Bill was an archivist of course, as can be seen from his books.
But audio/visual is something else.
Mick's usual line is that he finds looking back "boring" - of course, that's the quote for the media, what he really thinks may be something different.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: October 20, 2008 15:04

it`s on german vh1 classic, sunday 26/10/2008, 6 o clock in the morning.
duration 30min

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 20, 2008 15:52

jlowe
They really need a Neil Aspinall type figure in their organisation to manage the whole production for them...and there isn't one.
Bill was an archivist of course, as can be seen from his books.
But audio/visual is something else.
Mick's usual line is that he finds looking back "boring" - of course, that's the quote for the media, what he really thinks may be something different.

Plenty of fans would be more than well equipped and motivated to take care of overseeing any archival department for the Stones if they cant be arsed in doing it themselves.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2008 16:05

I'm pretty sure that everything they've made since sometime in the 80s has been well kept and stored away. What worries me is the stuff from the early to mid-seventies. I'm not so sure that they know where everything is from that era.

Isn't the vaults in Belgium? I think that Coowouters from Shidoobee mentioned that there's this guy who doesn't live too far away from Chris (Coowouters). Supposedly this guy has the vaults from the Stones (Not sure about 60s/70s stuff, but the audio and video feeds from all the concerts, from the point where they started recording everything). We know that Jagger has some too (As seen in Being Mick). Keith probably also has some things, though I could imagine it all being in one big pile on the floor of a broom closet in his home. Bill must have quite a few things too.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 21, 2008 00:46

Well....they had all the "best"/original tapes for ABKCO when they redid for 2002 right?

I guess i never really thought about where the master-tapes are stored...hopefully
they're in some sort of climate-controlled, fire-proof vault. I guess (naively)
I thought they'd be archived at the studios where they were mixed or in a
special vault owned by Virgin, Abkco or whomever.

??? If anybody wants to educate me on this..I'd be appreciative. smiling smiley

and I guess if one was going to do a show like the Classic Albums series
and wanted to show (track by track) how the song came together and was
mixed etc.... you wouldn't necessarily need the masters of each track
but a second generation would do. right??

...and if the concern is that Mick doesn't like to dwell on
the "golden years" of mid '60s to early '80s.....they could do
episodes on BRIDGES & BIGGER BANG too (modern day "classics" ).
Hell...document the creation of the next "classic" too. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-21 00:47 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2008 17:17

it's called the stones(mick)do not give it up(product) for free. after all a wise man once said to me there is no FREE LUNCH !

Date: October 21, 2008 18:14

free? i'm suggesting they produce their own series....and sell it.
that's right up their alley. merchandising! winking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 21, 2008 18:32

Amused
honestly, I've seen Making Of the Dark Side Of the Moon and it was boring.

I loved that one!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 21, 2008 19:11

sweet neo con
and I guess if one was going to do a show like the Classic Albums series
and wanted to show (track by track) how the song came together and was
mixed etc.... you wouldn't necessarily need the masters of each track
but a second generation would do. right??

if this is the series I'm thinking of (one episode featured Lou Reed's Transformer)-- no, because they listen to not the album masters in the studio, but the original tracking tapes, the pre-mix session material. So the producer and whoever from the band shows up actually play with the mix and show what's on there and what it might have sounded like instead. You can't do this on the master tape the songs were mixed to, only on the tape they were mixed from. It's totally fascinating to me--unfortunately, these portions of the show are normally much too short, and the rest is given over to the boilerplate documentary talking heads style.

this is also the tier of program that a band on the level of the Stones never participates in. Though they have gotten some big subjects. Like the Super Bowl, once McCartney does it, they'll do it. Or Dylan, but he'd never do it.

Date: October 21, 2008 19:34

cc
...they listen to not the album masters in the studio, but the original tracking tapes, the pre-mix session material. So the producer and whoever from the band shows up actually play with the mix and show what's on there and what it might have sounded like instead. You can't do this on the master tape the songs were mixed to, only on the tape they were mixed from. It's totally fascinating to me--unfortunately, these portions of the show are normally much too short, and the rest is given over to the boilerplate documentary talking heads style.

yep that's the show......and i guess what i meant was the tracking tapes...
...drum track, guitar track, bass track, vocals etc..etc...
my point....there's probably duplicates of these that they could use
instead of risking the wear & tear of the master tracking tapes.
i'm probably wrong but i think you know what i'm getting at....that
if they really wanted to do such a series, they could do it without
compromising anything. duplicates for demonstrative purposes.

and regarding your other point....in some cases you're right..the Stones
have become followers instead of leaders. maybe they can add a new twist and
lead.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2008 19:51

The relationship with ABKCO seemed to got better around the time of "40 Licks". I'd love to see a CA of several (all) of the Stones albums.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home