Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guilty Conscience, 1969
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 11, 2008 21:25

HYDE PARK was going on whether or not brian died, it was already scheduled anyway, or is this not true?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 11, 2008 21:39

The guys were outta their minds from sorrow.

I dont like some paint them like some kinda ice cold types.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: October 12, 2008 01:51

Baboon Bro
No Brian, no Stones - simple as that.

I think we can all agree on that.

Amen, brother...

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: October 12, 2008 09:51

Big Al
I remeber being quite taken back by Keiths comments about Brian on the 25x5 video. IE, "Sh*t happens" when commenting on his demise.

Although, in recent interviews he's been a little kinder.

he has??? calling him a "Cheltenham C**t"??

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: October 12, 2008 09:57

melillo
HYDE PARK was going on whether or not brian died, it was already scheduled anyway, or is this not true?

yes ... Hyde Park was scheduled just after Brian left the Stones if I'm not mistaken. When Brian died, a 'first thought' was to cancel it, then they quickly decided to turn it into a 'tribute' to Brian.

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 12, 2008 10:56

schillid
I liked when Mick mentioned Brian Jones at the Stones' hall of fame induction whenever that was.... (and the fact that Mick Taylor had joined them onstage.)

Very respectful.

actually I don't think his talking about Brian was as good as it could have been. He said while Ian Stewart brought them back to the Blues, Brian Often took their music away from the blues, with wonderful results... thats true, but thats leaving out a whole lot. Brian was the one who got the stones started as a Rythm and BLUES Band. he played slide guitar, and he named them.... I think Mick kind of sold him short there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 11:02 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2008 11:40

ryanpow
schillid
I liked when Mick mentioned Brian Jones at the Stones' hall of fame induction whenever that was.... (and the fact that Mick Taylor had joined them onstage.)

Very respectful.

actually I don't think his talking about Brian was as good as it could have been. He said while Ian Stewart brought them back to the Blues, Brian Often took their music away from the blues, with wonderful results... thats true, but thats leaving out a whole lot. Brian was the one who got the stones started as a Rythm and BLUES Band. he played slide guitar, and he named them.... I think Mick kind of sold him short there.

Yeah, I think Mick is just playing with words, giving this yin-yang-dualism of Ian and Brian. Sounds fine. Actually, it was Mick and Keith (and ALO) who were driving the band away from the blues - Mick and Keith's compositions drove the band towards the pop scene (with wonderful results). Especially Brian is known to have opposed the trendy-following THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES psychedelia, and was happy that the band rediscovered its blues essence in 1968. It was the PR policy of the early rocking 70's that the image of "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band of the World" that it was Brian's "fault" that the Stones were fooling around with crazy exotic experiments, and achieving clear failures such as SATANIC (that seemed VERY idiotic and non-popular ones in the 70's). Mick and Keith somehow polished their hands from those 60's muddy times. And now when Brian is gone, the band is back on track. I think quite many of us has somehow or someway learned this sort of story or the idea of the history of the band. (Funny, if anyone remembers, by the time Taylor quit and Ronnie joined in, Keith also loved to talk about how the horns and sidemen like these were also gone with Taylor, and now the band - once again - finds its true guitar-based essence, the weaving, etc. - this folklore has never been such a big success as the one told about Brian's 'bad influence' on the Stones.)

Of course, Brian was an experimentalist per se and his touch can be heard much in their '66-67 poppish, non-blues output, but that is just due to his musicianship, ability to colour nicely Mick and Keith's songs. He surely was not the capitan anymore to lead the ship. Contrary, when they actually were a pure blues band (1962-63) he was.

(Well, there are sources were Jagger is much more accurate - especially 1995 Rolling Stone Interviews - of the nature of Brian's purist, non-pop attitude into music. Bill Wyman's books also gives this impression.)

It is interesting that it took decades that Mick and especially Keith started to remember how experimental all of them were in the 60's, not just crazy acid-head Brian... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 11:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 12, 2008 23:57

actually, I thought the part of it that was touching was when Ronnie got Mick T. to get up and speak. and when Ron said something along the lines of being there on behalf of Mick T. and Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-12 23:57 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1256
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home