Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What's the RAREST Stones record you ever bought...
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: October 7, 2008 02:09

Still trying to figure this one out, myself...

JR

Re: What's the RAREST Stones record you ever bought...
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 7, 2008 02:35

JR, You need to specify what you mean by rare! Do you mean rare or do you mean expensive? Surely a one off acetate (if truly a one off) is as rare as it gets, you can't get rarer than 1 copy. Nothing is rarer but it doesn't make it the most desireable and therefore expensive like say a Street Fighting Man. Has anyone actually got a UK Poison Ivy?

As you know my vinyl collection doesn't come close to yours in depth or quality but I do have a few nice pieces. Appart from the obvious acetates I would enter my No.1 numbered records in the rarest category. I know you aren't a numbers man but I love them :-)

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 7, 2008 04:41

Keith Richards :ALONE; the Toronto session. I bought it more than 20 years ago. The vinyl is cherry red and the cover is from a picture by Annie Liebowitch where Keith poses with the perfect junkie look.The songs(worried life blues, sing me back home, she still comes around, Apartment #9 and Say it's not you),were recorded in March 1977 when Keith was "stuck" in Toronto waiting for his trial. I believe Stu was with him in the studio. Great stuff, heartfelt for sure. Keith plays a lot of piano on those numbers. I think it is a rare piece.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 7, 2008 05:10

Unfortunately I can't afford any acetates...

Flowers - UK export (LK 4888)

Time Waits For No One - US promo only single (PR 228)

Winning Ugly / Back Yo Zero - Canada only single (IC4-7186)

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: October 7, 2008 10:13

Necrophilia - to my knowledge so far the only existing copy including the artwork. Bought it in London for about 6,500 GBP back in 1993. Unfortunatelly I had to sell it after 10 years but it helped me to buy a new car and to finance an expensive kindergarten for my son. It was worth it ;-)

btw - the version of "Aftermath" on the bootleg-CDs isn't exactly the same as on the acetate. The acetate-version is still unreleased.

silkcut1978

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 7, 2008 11:19

Bought this one for £1 at a boot sale...... sold it for £1300 on ebay.

Date: October 7, 2008 14:43

Matt Lee wrote:

JR, You need to specify what you mean by rare! Do you mean rare or do you mean expensive? Surely a one off acetate (if truly a one off) is as rare as it gets, you can't get rarer than 1 copy. Nothing is rarer but it doesn't make it the most desireable and therefore expensive like say a Street Fighting Man. Has anyone actually got a UK Poison Ivy?

As you know my vinyl collection doesn't come close to yours in depth or quality but I do have a few nice pieces. Appart from the obvious acetates I would enter my No.1 numbered records in the rarest category. I know you aren't a numbers man but I love them :-)

Yeah, those numero unos are cool, however, each numbered edition is as rare as the next, so, they are all unique....

But I was getting at, whats the most you ever paid for a single Stones record (or item)...

Mine is about $10,000 US. I have other rarer things, but this is the most I ever shelled out for a single item. Luckily, some of my most rare items I got cheap, by trading, etc. Gotta love the RE-bay... I once got a MINT WLP 1st US LP, in a lot of records for less than $100. Traded it to my brother for a one off MCV "Having a Rave Up with the Yardbirds" US copy, which I then sold for around $3,000. "It ain't what you paid, its what its worth!"...

JR

Date: October 7, 2008 15:07

So we are talking value not rarity (subtle difference although they are linked of course).

The most I have paid for a single item is close to $20,000 (This is not an item I have posted). I have paid c.$10,000 for a several of items already posted but many of my most valuable items were traded for so it is hard to calculate their true cost.

Date: October 7, 2008 15:17

mattleeuk
So we are talking value not rarity (subtle difference although they are linked of course).

The most I have paid for a single item is close to $20,000 (This is not an item I have posted). I have paid c.$10,000 for a several of items already posted but many of my most valuable items were traded for so it is hard to calculate their true cost.

Wow, Matthew...

Poster or record?

JR

Date: October 7, 2008 15:31

My most expensive (purchase price) vinyl doesn't come close to $10,000. The items I have spent big on are original drawings, 60's posters and instruments....

Date: October 7, 2008 15:37

I spent $5 for my rarest one: the Hot Rocks with Shelley and the alternate brown sugar etc...

Date: October 7, 2008 15:39

Stoned in washington dc, Much better than stocks or shares right now :-) That's a great score!

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: October 7, 2008 15:55

If we are talking about value of any kind of item, for me, the Wolkswagen Rolling Stones edition. Aprox 20.000 euros more than ten years ago. I sell it for 6.000 euros five or six years ago, not a good business after all.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 15:57 by JordiStones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 7, 2008 16:14

A ticket for $15!

Really, the pink vinyl 12" of "Miss You" with "Far Away Eyes" on the flip side

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 7, 2008 20:58

It's the one with the banned cover. I'm not sure if it's so rare, but this one still has the sticker and shrink wrap. I bought it at a yard sale for $10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-15 08:51 by schillid.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 7, 2008 21:22

ablett

Bought this one for £1 at a boot sale...... sold it for £1300 on ebay.

just wondering why this is valuable....

i don't doubt you..just curious.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2008 21:26

Canadian copy

2 1 2 0

Date: October 7, 2008 21:31

stoned in washington dc
I spent $5 for my rarest one: the Hot Rocks with Shelley and the alternate brown sugar etc...

Nice...I have found 15 or so in the DC area over the years. My first one (NM for $2.99 US), was by accident, as I didn't know it was the rare one. It set off all kind of repercussions---I was the first person to write it up. See Basement News # 13. Although Mentioned by Roy Carr (page 66), it wasn't written up with the identifying matrices until that Basement Article.

JR

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: October 7, 2008 21:57

2 Copies of Promotionel Album UK 1970 . For Free , Radio Promotion.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 7, 2008 22:20

I recently bought the West German pressing of the Undercover CD, with the short version of "Wanna Hold You." Kind of cool.

Date: October 7, 2008 22:23

Rufestone
2 Copies of Promotionel Album UK 1970 . For Free , Radio Promotion.

WOOF~! Still have them? Did they come with the letter and small "Let It Bleed" catalogue?

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-07 22:24 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 7, 2008 22:24

mattleeuk
Stoned in washington dc, Much better than stocks or shares right now :-) That's a great score!

Don't remind me, stocks costed me a new stonestour angry smiley

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:07

JR - just another great and ineresting thread you are starting here ...

... my rarest record is the 3 record set "The Essential Rolling Stones" or "History of the Rolling Stones" - 3 pink label UK test pressings - no artwork or cover (replaced later by double album "Rolled Gold" ). I bought record 1 and 3 a few years ago, not really hoping to ever get the missing one, but luckily now I got the second record to bring the triple record set together. As far as I know only 6 sets of these have been pressed ...

Andreas

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:12

Yes , with a sticker DECCA .

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:15

Mono Sticky Fingers WLP with orange sticker on front

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 8, 2008 00:39

stoned in washington dc

how can one distinguish? different catalog number??
if so...what is that label/catalog number for the early (alt BS) version? thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 8, 2008 01:06

from beat zenith.com website..some of this may be incorrect but the gist is true:
Who Is "Shelley"?

Could it be a reference to famed poet Percy Shelley? or the Rolling Stones' French press agent June Shelley? In fact, it's neither. This notation is indicative of an item from the Shelley Products Ltd. pressing plant (closed in the mid-1980's) of Long Island, NY, and it makes a big difference on the double-album Hot Rocks 1964-1971.

Upon its initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971), alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were included on the Hot Rocks master plate. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter. Since there was no clear reference to their origin on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71.

Shelley

The identifying mark is not easy to locate or read, but the mystery does not end if and when it is found. It seems that this "alternate pressing" was soon pulled in favor of a set which contained the single versions of Sugar and Horses. However, Shelley wasn't quite done, as the name reappeared for a short time afterwards with either a later date, or no date at all.

The original Shelley 11-18-71, with the alternate takes, may fetch $1000 USd. A second pressing with the word Shelley and with or without a later date, will still get you double ($25-30) a regular pressing ($12-15). Thus far, reports of 11-18-71, 12-3-71, and 12-6-71 have been clearly identified.

One final note on determination - you should find Shelley on all four sides of the 2-disc set, but the date (if there is one) of 11-18-71 need only be on side four. It is possible to come across a set that has that specific date on any of the other three sides except the fourth, yet that is meaningless. The names will often not be written in the same manner, though it is more common to see script, there are editions that have Shelley in block print.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 8, 2008 03:09

"Miss You" vinyl 12 minute version single.

Date: October 8, 2008 10:47

"Beat beat beat", the german 10" LP from 1964... as original! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: October 8, 2008 13:08

Not really sure how rare these are (probably not as rare as some here):

I Wanna Be Your Man with 'Stones' misprint on b-side, UK Decca

To Know Him Is To Love Him/ There Are But 5 Rolling Stones ('Cleo' and ALO Orchestra), UK Decca 1964

Let's Spend The Night Together / Start Me Up 1981 UK promo single. On both sides it says "From The Film Let's Spend The Night Together", but both songs are actually from Still Life. Don't think this single was ever commercially released anywhere...

Also bought as a job lot for $20:

Undercover 12" US promo
She Was Hot 12" US promo
Start Me Up 12" US promo
Start Me Up 7" US promo

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home