Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light DVD released in Germany today!
Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: October 4, 2008 15:48

I went to the german mediastore SATURN today and was totally surprised: the official german DVD-release of Shine A Light was announced for the 17th of october ... BUT IT WAS ALREADY IN STORE TODAY as a special edition for SATURN from ARTHAUS.

So I know what I will watch tonight ...

Re: Shine A Light DVD released in Germany today!
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 4, 2008 16:06

Thanx!
Special Edition to what price?

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: October 4, 2008 19:23

We don't get it Down Under till Nov 5...Not Fair!...

Date: October 4, 2008 19:35

Hi Cousin C, the price is 16,99 Euro. Maybe "special edition" was the wrong word ... it's the normal 1 DVD edition ... only specially released some weeks before the official announcement.

Date: October 5, 2008 01:41

Watching "Shine A Light" for the first time on my computer tonight (three times in cinema before) ... I think it is the best concert movie of the Rolling Stones beside "Gimme Shelter" and "Voodoo Lounge (in Miami)" ... what do you think???

Date: October 5, 2008 01:45

Having a nice evening?!
I'll go to buy it from Saturn on monday.

Which part of Germany you from, Linn.?

Date: October 5, 2008 02:07

Hi CousinC ... I'm from Cologne and I'm having a great evening with the Stones! What I forgot to mention about "Shine A Light": the stage design is like a CATHEDRAL OF ROCK'N'ROLL ...

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: October 5, 2008 02:17

Just got it from the Itunes store. Watching it right now

Date: October 5, 2008 02:19

Great! I'm from Krefeld.
And yes, the Beacon is a very nice place!

I'm a bit afraid that after seeing it in a huge cinema it won't be the same on TV.
But I will see next week.

Posted by: rs1806 ()
Date: October 5, 2008 15:04

I was in our Saturn (Saarbrücken) yesterday, and I have to return on Oct 17 sad smiley They didn't know anything about an earlier release...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 5, 2008 15:21

linnerz, can you comment on the speed/pitch of the one you got, please and thank you?
i reckon it's a PAL version, and ... well, see this thread here: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-05 15:22 by with sssoul.

Date: October 5, 2008 15:47

Hi with sssoul, I just compared the CD and the DVD ... and really: the DVD is faster, higher on All Down The Line ... I didn't compare other songs yet.

And for rs1806: maybe they can send some DVDs from SATURN in Cologne to SATURN in Saarbrücken? You should ask them monday!

Date: October 5, 2008 15:52

thanks linnerz - looks like i'm ordering the NTSC version

Date: October 6, 2008 12:02

thank you linnerz, but perhaps I will wait for the NTSC version, too. Where do you order it with sssoul? There is only PAL in Europe, is that right?

Date: October 6, 2008 13:40

But how to play region 1 DVDs on european region 2 players? Isn't the NTSC version region 1?

Date: October 6, 2008 14:08

>> But how to play region 1 DVDs on european region 2 players? <<

some dvd players are (or can be made) region-free.

Date: October 6, 2008 14:18

>> Where do you order it with sssoul? There is only PAL in Europe, is that right? <<

i haven't decided yet, rs1806, but axel music has the region-1 version,
which i presume is ntsc: [www.axelmusic.com]

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: October 6, 2008 17:28

linnerz
Watching "Shine A Light" for the first time on my computer tonight (three times in cinema before) ... I think it is the best concert movie of the Rolling Stones beside "Gimme Shelter" and "Voodoo Lounge (in Miami)" ... what do you think???

It's up there anyways - I also just bought "Voodoo Lounge in Japan" - ain't half bad,either - a great, great version of "Sweet Virginia".

As for "Shine" coming out in Germany - I live in Denmark and last Monday I went into town to check the release date at my local CD pusher and was told November. Then I happened to see an advert for the DVD on TV on Friday night so went into town the next day - 4th of October - to check it out and lo and behold - there it was!!

It is very strange with these release dates - I've ordered it on Play.com as well and they still list it for a November release - first I think it was planned for the third but they pushed it back further 'till the tenth. Well - I've got it now. Finally!smileys with beer

Just checked and it is on for the third of November.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-06 17:31 by mofur.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 6, 2008 17:50

Anyone know when it's released in the UK? And will it be the double DVD version?

Date: October 6, 2008 21:13

Silver Dagger
Anyone know when it's released in the UK? And will it be the double DVD version?

on amazon.uk it will be released on Nov 10.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 7, 2008 02:33

Any idea when in Spain?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: October 7, 2008 10:59

here are the release dates

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 8, 2008 09:32

Well, we have to wait untill the 10th November! I don't remember any other release to have so many different release dates in different countries.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 8, 2008 21:03

For Spain that´s untruth, where ?
No Fnac, El corte inglés, etc
Alguien sabe?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: October 16, 2008 16:24

I received the american NTSC version of the "Shine A Light" DVD today ... it's exactly the same speed/pitch as on the Audio-CD ... unlike the german speed-up version from SATURN/ARTHAUS. From AMAZON USA it was only 10 days by ship to germany and around 25 dollars including shipping.

What I don't understand: why don't they use the (right speed) NTSC version for the european market, too? Both NTSC and PAL versions are playing on my computer. So why converting it to PAL for europe???

Date: October 16, 2008 20:52

Asking again: does anybody know, why they have to convert the american NTSC to the speeded-up PAL version for the european market? Is there any technical reason?

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: October 16, 2008 21:49

There are still some older DVD players who don't take the NTSC format. Shouldn't be a problem with players of the new generation.

Posted by: Live! ()
Date: October 16, 2008 22:23

@linnerz:

Lots of info around - Google "pal speedup" - [Redirect]

This one is good...[Redirect]

f i l m j o u r n e y . o r g
Movies are projected in the theatre at the well-known rate of 24 film frames per second. The PAL TV system (used in Europe, Australia and other places) projects images at a rate of 25 film frames per second. A problem thus arises when attempting to transfer a movie (24 fps) to PAL video (25 fps). The way this is normally done is to simply display 25 images from the film every second. That is, 25 frames from the film are being shown during a time interval within which 24 frames were supposed to be shown. The film is thus being projected 4% faster than intended by the director (25/24 = 1.04).
The most obvious effect of this speedup is that the film as viewed on PAL video (VHS or DVD) has a running time 4% shorter than it had when projected in the theatre, and 4 % shorter than what is specified in the Internet Movie Database. Take as a not-so-random example Béla Tarr's spectacular Sátántangó, a 450 minute film. A hypothetical future release by a European company would produce a DVD that is a mere 431 minutes — almost 20 minutes too short. Great if you are in a hurry, but most of us would probably feel ripped off. Let us hope that a future North American release is not based on a PAL master.

There is another effect associated with this speedup, an effect that is especially obvious to those with a well-developed musical ear: viz., the audio track of the film is playing 4% too fast, and thus 4% higher in pitch. From music theory we recall that one semitone in equal temperament is exactly 1/12 of the octave, i.e., 1/12 of doubling the frequency, i.e., the 12th root of 2, which is 2^(1/12) = 1.06, a result that is very close to the PAL speedup (1.04). In musical terms, PAL speedup therefore corresponds to a rise in pitch of a bit less than one semitone (or, 0.706724268642822855 semitones, to be precise).

NTSC has its own problems, to be sure, but thanks to its 30 fps frame rate, combined with the 3:2 pulldown scheme, it is capable of reproducing the correct film speed of almost exactly 24 frames per second. Thus, native NTSC transfers form an excellent baseline for film speed comparisons. (To be entirely precise, the exact NTSC film frame rate is a tiny bit lower than 24 fps: it is 59.94/60*24 = 23.976 fps, an imperceptible slowdown. Our hypothetical Sátántangó NTSC DVD release hence lasts 27 seconds longer than it did in the theatre. Which, resolution advantages aside, in our mind is much preferable to the 20 minutes shorter PAL version.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-16 22:39 by Live!.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: October 17, 2008 00:58

Have had the Dutch release for some time now.
Could not wait until the UK version was released early November as on holiday 25/10 - 18/11/08 in South Africa to see my older brother family and friends.
Have played it several times on my Sony 40' TV plus surround sound but not anyway as good as the Cinema.
The 'Stones' have excelled for a multitude of years X 40 but they need to really consider whether they wish to go out as a boxer well past his sell past date or be remembered as being almost in their prime all of the time.
This is not critism of their current playing abilities but sometimes over familiarity and longetivity leads to contempt rather tha appreciation.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 17, 2008 01:26

Greetings to the magnificent marketing department:

Don´t need it anymore , got the Dutch release six weeks ago,congrats !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home