Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Next Album - Discussions, Hopes And Wishlists.
Posted by: martingo ()
Date: September 27, 2008 02:32

I would wish to be surprised.

Cause creatively speaking, I don't think they "have that much jam" anymore.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 27, 2008 02:58

- They do a blues and rock album with some cover tunes mixed in, and keep the album length to no more than 11 songs. Or they stick to their usual formular (I ain't complaining about that - Always loved it).

why would you want 11 songs if you can get more? If theyre good enough, then there cant BE enough.

>>>> I know. But it would be nice with an album that's cut down to the best of the best of the best of the best. The rest can be b-sides. If they're good enough, then it'd show how good they are either way.

- Produced by either Don Was (Very likely to be him I think), Jack White III or Rick Rubin. (Out of the three, I'd prefer Jack White III).

Rubin will never happen for reasons that have been discussed many times. Picking Was merely shows they're set in their ways. White would be a good one.

>>>> Rubin is a wish, but I'd also prefer Jack White. Don Was ain't bad, but he's been there a long time now. I'm not saying that we need new blood in the producer chair, but it's important to ask yourself that question for a band. Hey what about a Was/White producer collabortion? smiling smiley

- They make a heap of songs and pick out the best ones. (If Mick already made 20 songs, like I read somewhere, there should be quite a few good ones).

Not necessarily. and we dont know what stage those songs are at. As he hasnt recorded anything - band or solo - in almost four years, its not really that big a deal to say any writer 'has' 20 songs written in that time. They cut almost 30 in 2 weeks for 40 licks remember and look at what little of worth came out of that.

>>>> Yeah I know. winking smiley

- Only one Keith song.

At the rate Keith's been churning out songs in the last decade, that may be pushing it.

>>>> Yes, but we can't have a half song can we? grinning smiley

- Keith not ending the album like he has for a long time.

He didnt end 'Voodoo Lounge'....grinning smiley

>>>> Didn't he? Wasn't Mean Disposition really a bonus track that was put on CD only? ....I just checked my dad's VL LP. There's no Mean Disposition. Bonus tracks doesn't count in my book.

- Not opening with a rock tune. Imagine they opened with a ballad or maybe even a blues tune.

I'd rather they opened with a good song. The style is irrelevant.

>>>> They've opened with a good song since Steel Wheels IMO.

- Having Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, Darryll and Chuck L. in for the whole period of the writing sessions.

Why? What difference would that make?

>>>> The whole band chipping in would make for a more band like album I think.

- A rocker with the well-known Bobby Bad-Ass sax.
- Keep to a theme on the album. It's been a long time since we've heard them not do a patchwork.

ABB had a theme - a stripped down, back to basics sound with very little outside personnel and almost no keyboards.

>>>> Yes but it was still a patchwork album. There's many genres on it.

- The patchwork albums (Like SW, VL, B2B, ABcool smiley are all great IMO. They go around many genres on those. But here's a chance to do it a bit different. Would be nice.

Nah. Part of their appeal is their ability to embrace different styles. Your wish to keep to a formula contradicts your wish for a different style of opening song.

>>>> I know that they can do many styles. Everybody knows that. That's why they shouldn't do it. The wish for the different opening song isn't meant like I want them to start with a reggae song or Continental Drift Pt. 2. If they did make a blues & rock album (Which everybody also knows they can make btw) they could start with a blues song.

- Break-down of songs: 5 Mick songs, 4 Keith songs (Of which he sings one himself), 2 cover tunes.

drinking smiley

>>>> smileys with beer

- A cover of a Muddy Waters song and a cover of a Robert Johnson song (PRETTY PLEASE, CAN WE HAVE THIS??? Imagine them doing Rollin' & Tumblin' or Rollin' Stone by Muddy, and Hellhound On My Tail by Robert Johnson. Or maybe ditch the Robert Johnson tune and make a cover of a Chuck Berry or a Bo Diddley song).

I think they consider that 'old hat'. They barely even touch blues music in their live shows anymore. They're unlikely to do covers because it means passing up a high % of royalties. Its obviously a big deal to them. Same reason they left 'Rooster' off 40 licks even though it was a #1 hit single and left 'Dirty Work' (which had a cover as the lead single) as the only album from the last 4 decades unrepresented on the same release.

>>>> But wouldn't it be the same when they do Learning The Game and Bob Wills Is Still The King on The Biggest Bang (Enlighten me on this please)?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 27, 2008 03:07

I´m not sure what to expect from a new stones album.

Maybe they leave the well known "album structure",in times were album sales are low
compared to the seventies this could be a possibility .

This could mean a mixture of new songs ( ABB style,still like it a lot,sounds
fresh,not included "streets of love" for sure),older but unreleased (tattoo you
style) combined with well worked out session and live tracks.

At first sight it looks like "rarities reloaded" or "Endless licks" but that´s
not meant : I remember Mick talking in 2005 just at the beginning of the ABB tour,
that "Rock fans are conservative" - and it didn´t seem that he just referred to
the live shows.

For this reason it might be an opportunity to do something different,some kind of a mixture is not revolutionary- and I don´t want the stones to do a concept album,
no,just breaking the rules,doing the unexpected.
Love You Live is an example including the El Mocombo side,then turning back to the arena show,in 1977 that was a kind of surprise.

In times with sticks and disk releases the classic Vinyl or CD album is NOT over,
but as it is discussed for some possible Universal rereleases it could be transferred to the new one as well,including the specials - behind the scenes
footage,..,that´s only the form.(Special ABB edition was a step into that)

Concerning the music I wouldn´t mind if they do a wild style mixture as well,
maybe do some nice covers of more or less well known songs,invite some
guests (Ry Cooder,Townshend,Sly and Robbie,...)why not ?

They can easily afford the payments or the royalties,even on SAL are covers.
I think for over 45 years they proved that they are "open minded",
I could live with ABIGGERBIGGERBANG ,but I would like something different.

It´s not to invent the wheel again - it´s just to turn a stone

Date: September 27, 2008 03:15

The ultimate dream for me is if they did a 10 or eleven song album. Mostly rockers and blues with the odd ballad. They record these and rehearse them. Then, BEFORE the album is released, they take all the songs and play ONLY the new songs at a gig in a small theater or in the studio. So they make a double disc. One with the studio cuts of the new songs, and one with the live cuts of the new songs. Would be a nice special edition CD.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 27, 2008 03:25

JumpingKentFlash
The ultimate dream for me is if they did a 10 or eleven song album. Mostly rockers and blues with the odd ballad. They record these and rehearse them. Then, BEFORE the album is released, they take all the songs and play ONLY the new songs at a gig in a small theater or in the studio. So they make a double disc. One with the studio cuts of the new songs, and one with the live cuts of the new songs. Would be a nice special edition CD.

I´m with you,but the show has to be released on DVD as well ,so it´s a
nice package including a double CD with a DVD at a fair price.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 27, 2008 03:29

At least 'alf Keef songs.

Date: September 27, 2008 03:50

shortfatfanny
JumpingKentFlash

I´m with you,but the show has to be released on DVD as well ,so it´s a
nice package including a double CD with a DVD at a fair price.

That's what I meant to say, but my fingers didn't type it. grinning smiley
A CD (Studio cuts) and a DVD (Live cuts).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 27, 2008 06:13

it will be the usual mick dominated album that never gets played on the radio, and the usual record breaking mostly warhorse tour that follows, whats the big mystery?

Posted by: 55 Rusty ()
Date: September 27, 2008 06:27

An Album like in the 60's - NO Keith songs

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: September 27, 2008 07:16

I agree with you Kent, excpet for the 10 or 11 songs...I've always felt the more the merrier...Plus if there is crap and they put out a buch of songs we have a better chance of getting the better ones. If they cut out some songs there is always the chance they cut out what would be a gem and we miss out on it.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 27, 2008 07:30

Koen
Not more of the same please - it would be great if they kept evolving

As much as I agree with you, I think that's beyond rational expectations these days.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 27, 2008 07:54

tatters
I don't want an album full of songs about women and how they drive you nuts. I don't want to listen to a 65-year-old man shouting about what happened on his date last night. I want an album full of songs about what it feels like to be 65 years old. I want songs that describe what it feels like to know that the end is closer, much closer, than the beginning. I want songs about how a person is supposed to deal with those feelings.

And I want those songs to kick ass!

Tatters, yes, I'd like those songs too, about growing older.
However, a couple of them are still dealing with what happened on their dates, more or less. That's part of being 60-something too, for some people, including them. I consider that strand valid, although not the totality, by any means, of their experience.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 27, 2008 12:09

55 Rusty
An Album like in the 60's - NO Keith songs

I presume you mean 'no songs with keith singing lead'

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 27, 2008 13:04

Nice topic! Here's my wish list:

1. I'm with Kent on the number of tracks: 10-11. Just release the very best of the recording sessions, save the rest for a bonus edition (to be released simultanioulsy offcourse).

2. I'd like some blues covers as well (no more soul tunes!), but like Gazza said, chances are slim. Maybe the could release some Muddy cover on their site. In that case their site would be worth visiting again.

3. One Keith song is the maximum. And no laid back track, but a blues and/or rock song. Enough with the Losing my Touch type songs. Don't care where, as long it's not the opener.

4. The producer: someone who stands up to the Glimmers and is not afraid to quit if they ignore his advise. Chances: 0. Jack White would be cool, though.

5. The sound: pure. Lots of acoustic, slide and hammond. Lots of harp too.

6. No singles. They've become pointless (except for the b-sides perhaps). No single probably means no poppy crap like SOL, so that's a big plus.

7. Lyrics: mature. No young women, no politics. It doesn't suit them anymore. And as using politics as a inspiration ammounts to songs as Neo Con, it's time to find new things to sing about.

8. More Ronnie: why not use his ideas? It's like the Glimmers need the royalties to pay their morgtage.

9. Album Title: a title that suits the album instead of the inevitable tour.

10. No more cheesy variations on the tongue logo.

Date: September 27, 2008 14:20

tatters
I don't want an album full of songs about women and how they drive you nuts. I don't want to listen to a 65-year-old man shouting about what happened on his date last night. I want an album full of songs about what it feels like to be 65 years old. I want songs that describe what it feels like to know that the end is closer, much closer, than the beginning. I want songs about how a person is supposed to deal with those feelings.

Good post.

I thought actually that Jagger touched on some more mature subject matter on ABB at times - Let Me Down Slow, Laugh I Nearly Died, Biggest Mistake - which was done well. Unfortunately he undermined it with cliched, juvenile crap like ONNYA, Neocon and Rough Justice which read like it could have been written by an 18 year old.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 27, 2008 14:30

"Life is short
one look and its over
it comes as quite a shock
All I've got is some memories
stuck in an old shoe box"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 27, 2008 14:45

A naked album in blues-style with much steel-guitars...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 27, 2008 15:18

angee
tatters

Tatters, yes, I'd like those songs too, about growing older.
However, a couple of them are still dealing with what happened on their dates, more or less. That's part of being 60-something too, for some people, including them. I consider that strand valid, although not the totality, by any means, of their experience.

Yes, that strand is valid, but why do they always have to explore it in such an adolescent and vindictive manner? Their songs about relationships have never really deveoped beyond the juvenile sentiments of Under My Thumb and Stupid Girl, written when they were 21 or 22.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: September 27, 2008 15:43

1 - Album between 10 and 13 songs if it doesn't last more than 45-50 minutes. ABB was way too long !

2 - Let them write a lot of songs and choose the best.

3 - I'm not against ballad but please no 1990's 2000's ballad anymore, I wouldn't survive to a new SOL or a new Let Me Down Slow.

4 - No backing vocals but Keith's !

5 - Only one Keith song but a rocker this time !

6 - No Bill Wyman or Mick Taylor, they've left ! And no guest at all ! I want a RS album

7 - Lyrics : let's talk about rock and roll : women, sex, alcohol... but not in AC/DC way !

8 - No more than one cover : a blues would be great, even if if I could stand with a Motown song

9 - Producer : lots of people here seems to want Jack White as producer. It will not happen. Don Was did good job, i'm OK with him. Mick Ronson could be interesting.

10 - Vocals, harp, 2/3/4 guitars, bass (why not Ronnie ?), drums, piano and hammond. Nothing more. Maybe just a sax solo.

11 - No more patchwork album.

That's all !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 27, 2008 16:13

My wish is as follows:

Mick and Keith spending a lot of time to write songs.
Bring in the other's quite soon to rehears the songs and democratically
have they say on the songs.

Then get the whole bunch together and record the songs with a live feeling.

10 -12 song at the most.
Let Keith have his share of one or two songs but they better be darned good like "This place is empty"

The cover should be like the old days, front forward pic of the band, with a recent pic. No more complicated as that.

Title: Well hopefully not "Heading for 50 licks" (smile). Something inventive could be cool!

But in the end! We have to take what comes to us, a simple truth!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-27 20:20 by Fan Since 1964.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 27, 2008 19:07

Consensus overall, me thinks.

Date: September 27, 2008 19:35

What would Mick say if he read this thread? Probably something like "Rubbish! We've got to compete with Timbaland!"

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 27, 2008 21:42

With Amy Winehouse and Duffy selling their retro music in enormous quantities (deservedly so IMHO), wouldn't it be great if the Stones went back to their roots instead of producing the uninspired rock (NOT rock 'n' roll) that has littered their releases for so long.
The less polish on the production the better.
I agree with the "less is more" comments above as far as the number of tracks is concerned.

Date: September 27, 2008 21:54

They have to stop using Some Girls as a template and try using Exile as a template instead. Somehow, they have to try to imagine that they are going into the studio for the first time since 1971, to pick up where they "left off".

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:23

A good album this time with DECENT LYRICS!!!!!!!
No more embarrassing songs like about 60-70% of ABB.

Date: September 28, 2008 00:27

olorin
Producer : lots of people here seems to want Jack White as producer. It will not happen. Don Was did good job, i'm OK with him. Mick Ronson could be interesting.

Thats an understatement considering he's been dead for over 15 years.

I presume you mean Mark Ronson.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2008 02:22

Tatters, good point on how they write about relationships.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2008 02:26

I feel the ideal producer should be Dave Sardy (he mixed Rough Justice, also produced Jet & Wolfmother - he gets a very raw sound).

I'd love to hear more musicians, not less: e.g horns (when was the last time we had this?), sax solos, strings. More Dynamic like Sticky Fingers.

10 songs max, no longer than 45mins.

Would like the Stones to be the Stones, rather than trying to be hip.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 28, 2008 02:32

Help me Obiwan Kenobi - you're my only hope.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 28, 2008 10:22

Micky1
I'd love to hear more musicians, not less: e.g horns (when was the last time we had this?), sax solos, strings.

Bridges To Babylon had quite a lot of additional musicians.
As for horn players, Joe Sublett played sax on Flip The Switch, Low Down, You Don't Have To Mean It and Thief In The Night.
Darrell Leonard played trumpet on Low Down, You Don't Have To Mean It and Thief In The Night.
Wayne Shorter played sax on How Can I Stop.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home