Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: AC/DC Ticket Sales
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 26, 2008 10:09

adore both bands; extremely apples and oranges for the most part.
don't understand why things devolve to petty spats pitting two great bands against each other. kinda pointless to me personally. they come from different eras and countries and have largely different sounds, (they BOTH have rocked furiously to great, amazing effect.
i've a boot of a fast version of '20th Century Man' that is truly classic.
amazing energy and brilliant writing, and EXTREMELY hard rocking...
i've got AC/DC from Bon onward, including some amazing live stuff and they always just knock me totally out.
they are both 'goosebump' acts imo. AC/DC new album and tour is most very exciting. Thrilled there's so many people interested in really rocking it out with them. I might make the Forum L.A. show on 11/6 ( i theenk)
will buy the new 6 CD Kinks anthology and pray for a reunion.
will listen to my double live AC/DC vid and the accompanying album forever, same for most of the Kinks catalog. I don't get the fight over this personally.
tis thrilling that AC/DC are back...hope their new album rocks like mad.

they are both 'brother bands' but other than that....they both have the distinctve unique sounds of true original rockers. let it rock. all of it.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: September 26, 2008 14:28

stop sitting on the fence ya big jessie grinning smiley

Date: September 26, 2008 14:29

aslecs
andy js, you are a bore

arrgh. i'm wounded by your wit. don't try another for @#$%& sake

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:29

andy js
FrankM
The Kinks are crap? I assure you my dear Andy for every person on this planet that thinks The Kinks are crap there are five that think the same about AC/DC. But you are entitled to your opinion.

seeing as AC/DC are a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger band than the Kinks how do you work that out ?

In many ways Bon Jovi is bigger than Bob Dylan but that doesn't mean they are more respected or better Andy. You have to understand that although AC/DC has probably sold far more records than The Kinks it is still a very small percentage of people that buy records from either of them. That is just music in general.

For instance say AC/DC sells five million albums worldwide when they release an album. That is only one out of every thousand people in the world (if my math is correct) that buys an album. Obviously they have sold more records woldwide than The Kinks but I would bet that the vast majority of people that buy records of neither band would have much more respect for The Kinks and agree that they have been more important to the world of rock and roll than some monotonous yell in the microphone posers.

Interesting to note that The Kinks are also ranked above AC/DC on the Rolling Stone Magazine list of the 100 greatest artist of all time. You can scoff at that and say that is just the opinion of the fellow musicians, historians, industry executives and critics that voted on that list but answer me my dear Andy why should the opinion of a pom pom waving AC/DC fanatic be given more weight than all those opinions? Ah my dear Andy, next time eat your Wheaties before trying to convice the rest of us that AC/DC is even worthy to carry the luggage of the great band known as The Kinks.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:49

cmon , ACDC's got big balls!!
these days , no one gives a @#$%& about the kinks!
accept it or not , acdc is a bigger band than the kinks , cmon , tell me one classic by the kinks! , i bet less than 5,000 people on the planet these days knows who was their guitarrist .

Date: September 27, 2008 22:53

I checked every show again on ticketbastrd and there's tix left only for :

Chicago 2
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
East Rutherford
Oakland 2
LA 1&2
Phoenix
Houston
Atlanta

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: September 27, 2008 22:57

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about the teenie bopper crowd. People over thirty five count too my man. Classics? Anyone over forty can name about ten classic Kinks songs and maybe three AC/DC classics. But I do agree with you if you are saying AC/DC is bigger with the teenie bopper age group.

I would think that most people outgrow AC/DC as they grow up.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 27, 2008 23:04

I love both AC/DC and the Kinks. Both are bands that when they play I'm there, they release a CD, I buy it. I think Rolling Stone Magazine lists are a bunch of crap, I have no respect for them.

I never understood why the Kinks have such a small following ie: whenever I've seen them throughout the 70's, 80's and mid 90's, they always play smaller venues (I've seen them headline an 18,000 seat arena once, and it wasn't a sell out) which there is never a problem getting tickets. Personally I don't mind, I've always got good seats.

IMO The Kinks will be remembered for their song writting (even though I think Ray is a great performer).
...and AC/DC will be remembered for being a crowd pleasing, hard edge Rock n Roll band that doesn't compromise their musical style.

Whatever, I love them both, I am really looking forward to seeing AC/DC for the umteenth time, and I realy hope Ray and Dave will get together.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 28, 2008 00:49

mexicostone
cmon , ACDC's got big balls!!
these days , no one gives a @#$%& about the kinks!
accept it or not , acdc is a bigger band than the kinks , cmon , tell me one classic by the kinks! , i bet less than 5,000 people on the planet these days knows who was their guitarrist .

Luis you are showing your age with those comments. Have you ever heard of "Lola"?
Or perhaps "You Really Got Me"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-28 00:53 by No Expectations.

Date: September 28, 2008 04:32

yeah , i like those songs a lot , but these days you cant compare the kinks with DC , some say theyre hotter than DC , i know them and like them , yes they're good artists , but i dont think too many people would agree to compare DC with Kinks.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 28, 2008 10:58

FrankM
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about the teenie bopper crowd. People over thirty five count too my man. Classics? Anyone over forty can name about ten classic Kinks songs and maybe three AC/DC classics. But I do agree with you if you are saying AC/DC is bigger with the teenie bopper age group.

Frank you are full of s*it. People do NOT outgrow AC/DC. What condescending crap. As for your comment about the "Teenie bopper age group" - Have you ever been to an AC/DC gig? Oh I forget - you are the guy that reads all the polls and charts and knows every frigging demographic out there. Interesting that you even assume to know that the non record buying percentage of the world population respects the Kinks more than AC/DC. That is the most ridiculous thing I ever read. Get over yourself.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 28, 2008 13:27

Back In Black Is #1 again:

[www.billboard.com]

Little doubt now that it will end up the #1 of all time. Move over Jacko and the Eagles!

Date: September 28, 2008 15:41

the old tarts can claim what they like. AC/DC are, and always will be (in the eyes of the world) a much bigger band (in terms of popularity, sales, recognisability and just about everything else) than the Kinks. its not even up for debate

if you can't grasp that you really don't live in the real world, and probably think AC/DC are a heavy metal band or something equally daft

its debatable what bands are actually bigger than AC/DC full stop. apart from a select few nostalgia acts

saying that people should 'outgrow' AC/DC is pretty much like me saying you should outgrow grandad-rock and get back in the garden where you belong

face it. the world turns even if you do stand still

Date: September 28, 2008 15:59

Well , the real matter here is that AC/DC's gonna break USA's balls this autumn/winter , some of us have tickets for a show or more and the kinks are really too far from rocking like AC/DC.

For Those About To Rock Baby!!

Date: September 28, 2008 16:07

can't wait for the MSG shows

Date: September 28, 2008 16:10

FrankM

So , what , is this a kind of war of ages'?
My dad's over forty and he loved AC/DC since he was in high schol like me , but he never liked the kinks , that's an example of how small their crowd is .
AC/DC plays for every person who pays for the ticket and you get satisfaction totally guaranteed , not only for the under-35's , teenie bopper age group or whatever you call it.
A year ago i purchased a Kinks magazine and after all i got no conclusion of it , it was just a band that played some concerts , released some LP's with no success and then retired , but who cared??
i don't see the world a bit sadder because they're retired already.
How would the world be without The Stones , ACDC , Police and the bands continuing , rocknroll would be dead .
To be a band doesn't mean only writing songs with intelligence and to make them good , it also means making them GREAT , to rock at the shows and to change the world with your sounds , that's what great bands do like Zep , stones , beatles , etc..... , but for me , Kinks has never been a fave band , not even on my list of maybe's

Date: September 28, 2008 16:12

I also can't wait for the San Antonio and Houston concerts!!
they'll be the rockiest nights of the year!!

Date: September 28, 2008 16:21

to be honest, i think the world would carry on fine if the Police weren't around mate!

grinning smiley

one of the worst gigs i've ever been too

Date: September 28, 2008 17:04

there is simply no comparison between the kinks and ac dc..

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 28, 2008 17:38

Kinks do the foreplay and then you send Angus and company to do the thing that rhymes with trucking.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 28, 2008 21:55

andy js
to be honest, i think the world would carry on fine if the Police weren't around mate!

grinning smiley

one of the worst gigs i've ever been too

Finally something we can agree on! :-))))

Date: September 28, 2008 22:55

Hooray!

lets face it. the only reason the Police sold a zillion tickets was out of curiosity. if they did a new album and a tour next year i reckon demand would be WAY down on what it was

Date: September 29, 2008 00:48

OK
the world wouldn't carry on if eric clapton or buddy guy weren't around.
it would be shite
do you agree??

Date: September 29, 2008 03:31

i'd bake a cake and put up some bunting if we got rid of those old duffers to be honest

i've felt more passion from Mark Knopfler. and he's dead!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 29, 2008 05:17

mexicostone
OK
the world wouldn't carry on if eric clapton or buddy guy weren't around.
it would be shite
do you agree??

Buy Buddy Guy's latest. It's awesome. Best record I've heard all year. Eric Clapton is on it too.

Date: September 29, 2008 08:52

even clapton admits clapton blows.. i think that says it all

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 29, 2008 08:59

While watching football all day, I heard Rock'n'Roll Train being played in Montreal during the CFL game! First time I've heard it played at a sporting event. Heard Back In Black, Hells Bells, You Shook Me and Those About To Rock being played at a few different games as I channel surfed amongst the NFL games today.
I don't think there's any other band that gets played more at sporting events (at least in North America) than AC/DC. Tune in to any NHL game or NFL/CFL game and you're bound to hear at least one AC/DC tune played.

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: September 29, 2008 10:09

What´s up with all the Kinks talk in this AC/DC thread? Kinks had a handful of nice songs in the 60´s like so many other bands from that era. But that was like 40 years ago now. The way AC/DC have constantly the last 35 years been blasting out great fun happy music both live and on album. (ok. they came back from a little break) ...and the way they keep to attract young fans is quite amazing. That´s why their backcatalog still sell a shitload after all these years.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 29, 2008 11:32

Seems Frank has left the building. Whatever happened to glimmertwin81? He was just as funny as Frank. And made about the same amount of sense.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2008 00:36

Just announced December 21 Tampa and Jan 5 Cleveland. I'm sure plenty more to follow.
Also, I see in the new Future Shop flyer in Canada they're advertising the upcoming album, which is surprising since it's supposed to be a Walmart exclusive. The last Eagles album was a Walmart exclusive in the States as well as Canada.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home