Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Far Away Eyes on SAL, Keith's "shut-up"
Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: September 18, 2008 14:19

Check out this song between the 1:40 and 2:05 mark, Keith screws up his backing vocal, there is a shout from the crowd, Keith laughs and says "Shut up". It's a great moment, and keeps making me chuckle.

Any idea what the shout from the lady in the crowd is?

Re: Far Away Eyes on SAL, Keith's "shut-up"
Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: September 18, 2008 19:30

I think he said that to himself...
Keith was singing the wrong part of the lyrics at that moment!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 18, 2008 19:40

...just for a change ;^)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 18, 2008 20:19

the more I listen and or watch this version, its kind of embarrasing. On other parts of SAL keith is great, but on this song Its like He can't get the lyrics right to save his life. and to me it seems he has this attitude like " I don't have to know the words"... then why bother? I just get this impression that he and mick are in different worlds and at the moment when they share the mic, it really seems forced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-18 20:21 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 18, 2008 20:31

I was embarassed for Keith as well. Mick gives so much effort on every song where as Keith looks like he doesn't care at all. These sorts of things is basically what Keith's charactor has morphed into. Which makes him hard to take seriously on a musical and personally level.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 18, 2008 20:51

I would not take it that far myself, but I do get the impression Keith doesnt care during this song, when he and Mick are supposed to be singing together. I would guess that at this time they weren't getting along that well or something. During the rest of the show when there's more space between them Keith seems fine to me, and he's taking the show seriousley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-18 20:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 18, 2008 20:55

made me cringe when i saw it.....keith lacks focus sometimes.

seems like he forgot the performance was being filmed...and ruins the moment IMO.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 18, 2008 21:02

i love the performance of the backup vocals by keith in this one.. also one of the best moments when keith en mick hug

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 18, 2008 21:04

If you listen carefully the woman says "Ha! You messed up!"
You can hear it very clearly in surround mode.
Probably not a big fan
Maybe one of the hired 'guns'.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 18, 2008 21:06

I had my hopes too high for this from the day I heard of the filming. I really thought each and every one of them would take it very seriously and give it their all given the scope of the film and the possibility of it being their last filmed concert. I was wrong. Keith, to me, comes across just as you say. Parts of it are indeed embarrassing to watch. Sometimes I feel that he is somehow becoming a parody of his former self. I don't believe it's his age or arthritis or any of that. I am convinced he can still deliver consistantly at a very high level as he proves occasionally. Maybe he's arrived at a stage in his life where the music is not as important as it once was.

Who is Keith talking to?
Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 17, 2008 23:53

Shine a light: At the chorus of Faraway eyes Keith say Shut up in the middle of his singing. Anyone who knows who it is og why he does it? I hear a womans voice in there somewhere....

Re: Who is Keith talking to?
Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: September 18, 2008 00:06

one of the audience girls up front says...something...and hes singing, and since shes so close, he hears her...maybe not exactly what shes saying, but shes TALKING during FAE, disgraceful, so he tells her to shut up with a chuckle

mick doesnt look too pleased he said that as mick comes over

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 18, 2008 01:54

I thought she was criticizing his horribly off-key backing vocals.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 18, 2008 02:04

Db

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-18 14:46 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 18, 2008 07:15

Hats off fer the voice of da gutter..

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: September 18, 2008 08:07

I saw Shine a Light in the theatre, but I can't even get through the DVD once. The stage performances depicted in the movie are that bad. Keef just can't play anymore! Nearly half his playing in that movie is cringe-inducing. When he's not taking songs off, he can't even play in time. And the guest spots are pathetic!

The man is one of my greatest musical inspirations, but I'm weary of being an apologist for him. If Keef can't play any better than he has recently, it is time for the Rolling Stones, my favorite rock 'n' roll band ever, to get off the treadmill and go home for good, particularly in view of what tickets cost these days. Hey, age happens.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 18, 2008 12:18

baxlap
I saw Shine a Light in the theatre, but I can't even get through the DVD once. The stage performances depicted in the movie are that bad. Keef just can't play anymore! Nearly half his playing in that movie is cringe-inducing. When he's not taking songs off, he can't even play in time. And the guest spots are pathetic!

The man is one of my greatest musical inspirations, but I'm weary of being an apologist for him. If Keef can't play any better than he has recently, it is time for the Rolling Stones, my favorite rock 'n' roll band ever, to get off the treadmill and go home for good, particularly in view of what tickets cost these days. Hey, age happens.

agree

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: September 18, 2008 13:16

baxlap

disagree

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 18, 2008 14:18

on a more positive note, Blondie's playing is beautiful.

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: September 18, 2008 14:22

Total coincidence, I just opened a new thread with exact same topic. I shall go and flog myself in anticipation of all the "SHRA" etc comments that are heading my way.

Erm, sorry...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2008 14:41

baxlap

I liked it in the theatre. So I will not want to kill the illusion by watching the DVD version (or at least I'm not in a hurry). I have listened the CD version twice - and that is enough for me. Musically the state of the band makes me sad, and I intentionally stay far away from the recent documentations. They are great to wittness live, but out of that context their output do not stand any critical examination. I think it is sad that they release so much that stuff these days. Huge percent of their legacy nowadays consists of these endless and useless tour documentions and souvenirs from recent years. And like said, age happens - the band is not getting any better.

But like the IORRians voted, ABB was their best tour...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-18 14:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: keithfan64 ()
Date: September 18, 2008 17:14

Why won't Keith face reality and stick to rhythm and let Ronnie turn it up and play the leads? that would solve the problem. Maybe Ronnie would cut his drinking down, he must feel pretty useless as it is.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 18, 2008 17:48

Hate to say this but it is true.. the guitars in the Stones these days are a mess. Many of my friends I took to see SAL commented how Keith can't play anymore. The rest of the band is in great shape.. Charlie, Mick, Chuck, Darryl.. They can still bring it. And if they are going to have a third guitarist in the band I'd rather have Taylor play with them and stand on the stage with the rest then have Blondie hiding in the background. However I must say when they play acoustically, like in the bonus features the guitars sounded great, nice full sound.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 18, 2008 18:16

They're not going to replace Blondie with Taylor.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: September 18, 2008 18:58

Zack
I thought she was criticizing his horribly off-key backing vocals.

It's not off key, it's in harmony, and Keith always does that when singing. It's where you sing something different from the original melody line to create cool sounding harmonic intervals.. I think Keith is great at that and when he sings it with the different words too it's even cooler.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 18, 2008 21:14

Good post Simon - I very much agree.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 18, 2008 21:21

Give the guy some credit dudes, he made some awesome poses!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 18, 2008 21:32

I just wish a roadie would "accidentally" misplace that big black Gibson.

I never want to see that thing again.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 19, 2008 02:12

you can easily tell he is responding to the person in the audience by kiddingly telling her to shut up because he messed up the line, why are we trying to find JFK angles here?

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: September 19, 2008 03:18

Keith is tellling himself to shut up. And Mick gracefully rewards him with a "thanks crackerhead".

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home