Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Richard Wright
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: September 15, 2008 23:38

Sad news. I hoped for a Pink Floyd reunion, but no way they can carry on without Richard Wright.

I think David Gilmour wrote som great words on his official webpage:
(http://www.davidgilmour.com/)

No one can replace Richard Wright. He was my musical partner and my friend.

In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten.

He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound.

I have never played with anyone quite like him. The blend of his and my voices and our musical telepathy reached their first major flowering in 1971 on 'Echoes'. In my view all the greatest PF moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without 'Us and Them' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky', both of which he wrote, what would 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' have been? Without his quiet touch the Album 'Wish You Were Here' would not quite have worked.

In our middle years, for many reasons he lost his way for a while, but in the early Nineties, with 'The Division Bell', his vitality, spark and humour returned to him and then the audience reaction to his appearances on my tour in 2006 was hugely uplifting and it's a mark of his modesty that those standing ovations came as a huge surprise to him, (though not to the rest of us).

Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously.

David Gilmour
Monday 15th September 2008

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: September 15, 2008 23:42

Floyd music belongs in a catagory all it's own! They were the master in taking you from this world unto a whole other place! What a shame! He was part of a talented group that have created some of the best sounds ever recorded. He will be missed!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: jayb70 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 23:54

saw my first and last pink floyd show at live 8 back in 2005.

now i know that i'll never get another chance to see the floyd again.
very sad.

Posted by: micawber K ()
Date: September 16, 2008 00:20

God speed Richard see you the darkside of the moon. Thanks for all the great music, a quiet understated genius whose like we'll never see again. Today music suffered a great great loss!

John Paul

"Us & them,
And after all we're only ordinary men,
Me & you,
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do."

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 16, 2008 03:28

Wow what a shocker. I was kind of wondering why every radio station was playing Pink Floyd songs today. But I didn't hear the announcement until I just got home. Very sad. I saw him in 2006 on the David Gilmour tour.His singing and playing were both excellent. R.I.P. Rick.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 03:29 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 16, 2008 05:40

"Every year is getting shorter .... never seem to find the time"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2008 07:16

Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Rich.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: September 16, 2008 07:27

I'm very sad about this tragic news. I didn't know he was sick, I send my condolenses to the other members and ex members of Pink Floyd and their families. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this dark time. Thanks alot Rick for giving me so much enjoyment from your cds and dvds. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:07

What a terrible news. I am a big Pink Floyd fan and I had no idea he was ill. This is the very first thing this morning I got to know. I am shocked, I can't find words...I am so sorry, I am so sad. Thank you Rick for great music and thank you for being the person you were. I am going to put on the Dark Side now...RIP.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:44

Just fund out. Very sad news.

Got these memories of being almost "at Rick's feet" in an April 1975 concert. Seeing Pink Floyd, then and there, for the very first time will always be part of my fondest memories, (is true that a few months later got to see the Stones also for the very first time and everything changed) but that April 21st 1975 I think I can relive the whole day.

RIP Rick and thanks for everything.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:04

Incredibly sad news. A true genious.
Makes me even more grateful that we still have our boys around. They're the same age... Stay in good health, and be safe, everyone.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:13

bad news - RIP

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:17

Sad that he is gone - glad that he has been here.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:29

Dave Gilmour

...his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound.

RIP Rick!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Hotstuff ()
Date: September 16, 2008 10:37

finally rick sleeps in the dark side of the moon

Date: September 16, 2008 11:13

Sad news indeed. Pink Floyd were such a unique sounding band and they always managed to perform their music in a spectacular yet effortless way, wrapping you in their sound and light. I am glad to have seen them on a number of occasions, most recently at Live8 in Hyde Park.

R.I.P. Rick - off to play The Great Gig In The Sky......

Date: September 16, 2008 13:00

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:27

Sad news. RIP

Posted by: FRANCKY ()
Date: September 16, 2008 14:18

Sad sad sad

RIP Rick...

Floyd is one of my favorite band. Was really hoping for
a reunion tour but all is down now...

Really sad news
Francky

Date: September 16, 2008 14:38

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 16, 2008 14:47

Thanks for the music, Richard Wright...we will miss you.

Rest in Peace...

JR

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 16, 2008 14:49

I'm just listening to The Great Gig In The Sky - one of the most touching pieces of music he wrote.

"and I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, i
Dont mind. why should I be frightened of dying?
Theres no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
i never said I was frightened of dying."

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 16, 2008 16:09

Saw them at Earl's Court in 73 - one of the best rock concerts I have ever seen in my life. Rick was the George Harrison of the Floyd - the quiet one. His contributions to Dark Side Of The Moon were immense, The Great Gig In The Sky and Us and Them, as well as many beautiful keyboards parts but he hardly gets the recognition he deserves. His playing on Shine On, the spooky minimoog underpinning Gilmour's plaintive guitar as the song gets under way is a masterstroke.
And let's not forget the tremendous impact he had on the group's original psychedelic sound. For testament to that check out Remember A Day.
Yesterday was a very, very sad day indeed.

Here it is.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 16, 2008 16:35

The Worst.

In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten.

He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound.

I have never played with anyone quite like him. The blend of his and my voices and our musical telepathy reached their first major flowering in 1971 on 'Echoes'. In my view all the greatest PF moments are the ones where he is in full flow. After all, without 'Us and Them' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky', both of which he wrote, what would 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' have been? Without his quiet touch the Album 'Wish You Were Here' would not quite have worked.

David Gilmour
Monday 15th September 2008

If you read between lines a little it's easy to see that Dave is making his frequently made assertion that Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here are the best Pink Floyd records because the band was still somewhat of a democracy in those days, with Waters working mainly on the lyrics while Gilmour and Wright wrote the music. It's Dave's belief, and he again hints at it here, that beginning with Animals, the quality of the records went downhill because Waters had begun to take full control and, doing almost all of the writing himself, concentrated too much on lyrics and concepts and not enough on the MUSIC.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: September 16, 2008 18:08

Very sad news, couldn't believe it. Have a "great gig in the sky". You'll be missed, never forgotten. RIP.

Posted by: paulr15 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 18:18

very sad news!!!!!!!!all the legends are getting older and it's great we all in IORR enjoy them......cause i'm worried there won't be much to look forward to in a few years. Good albums vs. bad albums debates.....it shouldn't matter....we just enjoy it.

Date: September 16, 2008 19:16

What does Dave mean by "lost his way"? Does this have anything to do with him not being on The Final Cut album? Anyone know the story here?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 19:47

knockyourteethout
What does Dave mean by "lost his way"? Does this have anything to do with him not being on The Final Cut album? Anyone know the story here?

Well, if I am correct, he was "fired" by Roger somewhere during The Wall recording and he actually played on concerts as a payed musician, not as a member of the band. That shows what a humble guy he was. There were some legal problems with the contract, I don't know exactly, but Rick didn't want to cause problems to the band (Dave and Nick) so he rather stepped aside to Roger and accepted his role this way. Extraordinary. And if I am correct, there were still the legal problems much later, since the figt between Roger and the rest of the band went on and on..., so I think he wasn't a regular PF member during the next two decades, not even on The Division Bell. But I am not sure here, someone might give us some more details. Nick writes about it in his "Inside Out" book, I will check it...

Now it is really sad that things were never really "solved" between Rick nad Roger. It is so sad when people are angry with each other and then...they find out it is too late...Just like I am sure Macca feels terrible about never getting things right with John. I bet that Roger Waters has a lot to think about now...he will not have another chance...It would be good if this lead at least to him and David speaking together...before it is too late...(but these days it is surely David who is not keen on seeing Roger, Roger tried to make a contact on several occasions. But who am I to judge?)

Anyway, I thik it is really bad that the first thing that many people and almost all the newspaper mention today is that the PF will now never reunite. Who cares now? A wonderfull person has died and all that most people (not on this forum fortunately) are able to think about is that there won't be another PF gig. I think it is time to sit down and think quietly for a while. RIP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-16 20:04 by Happy24.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 19:59

Another big loss for everyone, no doubt.

R.I.P. Mr. Wright.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: September 16, 2008 21:08

Another wonderful musician leaves us, a sad day for me because I spent so much time lost in their music and was thrilled to be able to see 3 live shows that I'll never forget RIP.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home