Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The Definitive Rolling Stones Blues Collection
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 8, 2008 11:34

Glam Descendant
>When they gathered together again in 1989, the band started to play the honest 12 bar blues in a way they had not done in some 25 years.

And yet they didn't include any blues songs on STEEL WHEELS, relegating "Fancy Man Blues" to b-side status -- is that a head-scratcher or were they trying to redefine at that point?

Edited to add: *all* 3 b-sides for that album were straight blues -- so why the decision to not include a single blues song on the album?

Following the same single policy like in 1963? >grinning smiley<

Seriously, most of their 'pure' blues songs are just b-sides for singles or album fillers (of course, say, "Little Red Rooster" or "Midight Rambler" are huge expections). They simply do not have the commercial appeal, or otherwise do not 'fit' in. I think all of those STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE blues numbers are like "warming up numbers", trying to find the right groove or feeling of the band. It's good that they decided to release them AT LEAST somewhere (for example, "Cook Cook Blues" was already finished track from UNDERCOVER sessions). But I personally think that "Fancy Man Blues" or "The Storm" are the songs of most lasting value from that period. Sometimes I get the feeling that the band plays blues numbers just to please themselves, and that's why they sound so natural, and not forced. They (Jagger?) do not think that they would please big masses. Perhaps they are right.

Other reason could be that the blues numbers are too 'easy' choices for them; those do not satisfy their creative ambitions, and they - as anyone can - play 12 bar blues half-sleep. Listening STRIPPED blues sessions (i.e. "Honest I Do, "Little Baby", etc.), I think even though the band sounds relaxed, some actual spark is missing to really make those recordings great (this can be heard very well when compared their huge past blues catalog.) It might be surprising to hear from my mouth but I am not a big fan of having a fresh pure blues album by the guys. Actually, they have released that sort of stuff to quite a large extent since 1989. I don't think there is much to express anymore. To be true, I find their take on blues nowadays quite limited - just listen my Volume 3 and you will know what I mean (for example, "Little Red Rooster" and "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" or "I Wish I'd Nver Met You" are almost like identical songs by their groove or tempo).

It is intersting to see that already in 1964 when the Stones recorded perhaps their best blues covers ever at Chess studios, they had difficulties to decide where to release them. Gems like Muddy's "I Can't Be Satisfied" or "Look What You've Done" seemed not to be very trendy numbers anymore.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 12:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 8, 2008 12:04

Nearly all kind of music (soul, funk, disco, country, punk) played by the Stones have a bluesy feeling, or touch.It's in Mick's singing IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-08 12:06 by 1962.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 29, 2009 18:24

BUMP. one of the greatest IORR threads.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 17, 2010 02:00

1980’s
- “Down In The Hole” (Emotional Rescue)
- “Black Limousine” (Tattoo You)
- "Tie You Up" (Undercover)
- “Fancy Man Blues” (B-side of “Mixed Emotions”)
- “Cook Cook Blues” (B-side of “Rock&Hard Place”)
- "Wish I'd Never Met You" (B-side of "Terrifying"

I just noticed "Break the Spell" is missing. smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 17, 2010 11:00

Amused
1980’s
- “Down In The Hole” (Emotional Rescue)
- “Black Limousine” (Tattoo You)
- "Tie You Up" (Undercover)
- “Fancy Man Blues” (B-side of “Mixed Emotions”)
- “Cook Cook Blues” (B-side of “Rock&Hard Place”)
- "Wish I'd Never Met You" (B-side of "Terrifying"

I just noticed "Break the Spell" is missing. smiling smiley

Amused, missing the original suggestions but it made the final cut!

I still listen my collection quite a lot, especially VOL 3. It's great, timeless music indeed. The Stones is an incredible blues band. Maybe they should - even though I've been critical of the idea - a pure blues album just based on covers. I think that kind of thing would be much interesting than A BIGGER BANG type of album based on dried out ideas. Just gather (all) into studio together for few weeks and start jamming and listen your old blues records. Ask friends to guest and jam with them - Buddy Guy, Clapton, Macca, Taylor, Wyman... and call it ALL THEM BLUES or IT'S ALL BLUES or THE ROLLING STONES PLAYS THE BLUES WITH FRIENDS or something. And ask Jack Frost to produce it!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-17 11:02 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home