Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is It Just My 'Magination, or was the No Security Tour Just Great Musically??
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 14, 2008 02:34

Suddenly, for some reason I have recently gained a new appreciation for the No Security tour. When I listen to more boots, it just seems so LOUD, hard hitting (esp Charlie) and both tight and more diverse musically (selections from their catalog anyway) I must have been crazy not to recognise it before.

Just got a boot of the opener in Oakland and yes, it is a good recording (maybe I am overly influenced by good recordings) but the band just sounds damn good. Trite? Maybe.

But even when I listen to my own mono recording of Denver (much better I might add than those of u who have heard my Lyon 07 recording due to a better recorder), something seems to be better than a lot of recent tours, esp Midnight Rambler, which is a bit of a throwback to the old way they used to play it but not completely.

And their strutting Old West gunslinger video intro was so great.

And, I might add, they seem to be better than on the Bridges to B tour which was officially over just what, 2 or 3 months prior to the start of NS in Oakland?

So am I off base, crazy, is there really not much difference between the music (and perhaps physical performance) on NS and other recent tours, or what??

I throw this open to discussion, criticism, whatever!!!!!!!

timthePlexiglassfromMontana

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 02:35 by timbernardis.

Re: Is It Just My 'Magination, or was the No Security Tour Just Great Musically??
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:03

Lots of good & bad

Good -

Great setlists - they finally had the balls to drop songs like Miss You and Satisfaction (contrary to the nonsensical belief by some that people who paid $300 for a ticket wont come back if they dont play satisfaction)
Indoor shows - their first bonafide arena tour in a quarter of a century
Stripped down staging - it was good to see less reliance on gimmickry and more on what they do best - music

Bad

The ticket prices. The "millionaires watching millionaires" tour. This was the first tour where they really got the arm in. The start of a slippery slope and the moment when the greed finally overtook the music. It hasnt been the same since and their entire attitude towards their art has (not coincidentally) taken a dip from 1999 on as well.

Ronnie - he was AWOL for pretty much all this tour. Whilst he's had sporadic lows since mixed in with some fine returns to form, this tour was probably his nadir in terms of posing and just being a passenger. Keith's back must have been aching by the time they ended it in San Jose, as he'd been carrying him for three months

Re: Is It Just My 'Magination, or was the No Security Tour Just Great Musically??
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:19

I loved Some Girls on this tour. SG is such a great song live everyone knows the lyrics ans sings along. People were really having fun when SG was played. It seems to embody what the Mick is is like: the poor bastard getting laid all of the time!!

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: September 14, 2008 04:35

Interesting thought about Ronnie. I saw them in KC - where Ronnie did nothing but smoke cigarettes and Keith did amazing things to keep the mojo going - then three nights later saw them in Ok city where Ronnie was back (who knows why) and turned in a pretty good performance. I also thought this tour was pretty good - thrown together without a lot of hoopla, but the stripped down ambiance seemed to serve them well.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: September 14, 2008 06:38

One of the best tours, and sadly nothing official released from it. I would have loved a dvd of this tour. Have to settle for boots, but would love this in better quality. Route 66 on the b stage was great as was Rambler. Some Girls and Moonlight Mile...as well as others at different arenas.

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: September 14, 2008 06:46

Any thoughts on the best boots from this tour?

Thanks

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 14, 2008 07:00

Is It Just My 'Magination, or was the No Security Tour Just Great Musically?

it definetely was!

Date: September 14, 2008 07:06

I think the Midnight Rambler that I heard in Denver was perhaps the best I have ever heard them play it, and yes, from the B stage.

I should note that Denver was the only show I saw on that tour, the only time I have seen them just once on a tour along with my first show in 75.

Strangely, Out of Control was not quite as good as on the Bridges tour, I think they slowed it down for NS. Also, the cage that Mick climbed out of was kind of hokey, unnecessary.

p

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-14 07:08 by timbernardis.

Date: September 14, 2008 07:18

As a bit of an aside, my brother sent me an article from the Sacramento Bee today about the Bee's CEO Gary Pruitt. I guess it was this that finally pushed me to start this thread.

He is a huge Stones fan and also engineered the Bee's purchase of Knight Ridder including the Minneapolis Star Tribune a decade ago. (since then times have been tougher).

Here is an excerpt:

A record-company friend had snagged him a backstage pass, and all day Pruitt pondered what he’d say to the Stones that could convey the depth of his appreciation. When the Glimmer Twins arrived backstage that night, he was ready with his polished line.

“Hey, I just saw you in Sacramento, I think this is your best tour since ’72.”

Keith Richards replied without missing a beat. “Hey man, I just wish I could remember any of them.”

“Wait a minute, Keith,” Mick Jagger objected, “we’re actually proud of that.”

It was the quintessential Stones experience, and to this day, Pruitt doesn’t know if Mick meant they were proud of the fact it was their best tour since ’72 or that Keith couldn’t remember any of the tours.

p

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: September 14, 2008 07:27

Loved the No Security tour...one of my favorites. Saw three shows (Oakland and both San Jose shows) and they all rocked. Debuts for Some Girls, Moonlight Mile and You Got The Silver plus the return of Route 66. Also I Got The Blue at a few shows and the return of Get Off My Cloud. And first tour with Tim Ries on Alto Sax. All in all a great little tour IMO!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 14, 2008 08:36

Gazza
Lots of good & bad

Good -

Great setlists - they finally had the balls to drop songs like Miss You and Satisfaction (contrary to the nonsensical belief by some that people who paid $300 for a ticket wont come back if they dont play satisfaction)
Indoor shows - their first bonafide arena tour in a quarter of a century
Stripped down staging - it was good to see less reliance on gimmickry and more on what they do best - music

Yeah Gazza but remember,the first 10 rows were only $75. Which gave me a very wierd feeling as I looked behind me and to the sides and realized these people paid a hell of a lot more than I did. One of the few fan friendly ideas the Stones have come come up with.

Plexi. Yes,listening to that Oaklnad boot never gets old. Gimmie All Your Money indeed.smoking smiley

Bad

The ticket prices. The "millionaires watching millionaires" tour. This was the first tour where they really got the arm in. The start of a slippery slope and the moment when the greed finally overtook the music. It hasnt been the same since and their entire attitude towards their art has (not coincidentally) taken a dip from 1999 on as well.

Ronnie - he was AWOL for pretty much all this tour. Whilst he's had sporadic lows since mixed in with some fine returns to form, this tour was probably his nadir in terms of posing and just being a passenger. Keith's back must have been aching by the time they ended it in San Jose, as he'd been carrying him for three months

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 14, 2008 17:14

Hit and miss. But some shows I´ve heard were great. The most exciting about the tour was within its format and the setlists, imo.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 14, 2008 17:38

I thought OKC 99 was alot better in all respects than DALLAS 05-Keith was just blistering with Route 66 and Cloud on the B stage(of course him being 10 ft in front of me may have affected my opinion)! Also the Moonlight Mile and Some Girls in OKC were second to none in all the recordings I have(and I have 99% of em from that tour)

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: September 14, 2008 18:53

Yeah, Ronnie was completely off this world during that tour in my opinion. You hardly heard anything coming from him.. Keith however was in incredible shape!! This has become a little more even now, I think. Ronnie's playing more consistent while Keith's characteristic riffing makes more and more place for noodling on his big Gibson. Whenever he takes that (beautiful) guitar out, there's hardly ANY chord being played. He becomes a lot like BB King.

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 15, 2008 03:24

Interesting tour for me. I pretty much gave up on the band after those spectacles at the LA Coliseum in '81. I bought the records for old times sake, but they did not speak to me anymore. I caught a video from B2B (I think) where they were on the B-stage doing LARS and TLTime (I believe). It liked it, so I caught the band in Sacramento in '99. It was fun. But it was right around that time I got on the Internet, discovered boots, listened to Brussels for the first time (it took me a week to get through and digest that recording, I was stunned), then heard a recording of my first Stones show (11/8/69, 2nd). I do not believe I have ever listened to a recording any closer than that one. It was indeed like time travel. By the time I saw the San Jose make-up show that closed that tour I knew I had been had in Sacramento. Blame it on Brussels. I thought that that San Jose show was dreadful. So much effort to be on and the result was not worth the strain. It was filmed and I said that that show would never see the light of day. And to this day I am still correct. It hasn't. To me the difference between then and now is like night and day. And I have not heard anything since that has changed my mind.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 15, 2008 03:43

GREAT video open...best ever.

Best ever opener: JJF...Mick and Keith in leather jackets...glasses...bad asses.

Great songs: Moonlight Mile, Some Girls, Respectable, You Got The Silver, Route 66, the revival of Midnight Rambler

A tour, I wish they could replicate in style. But not in price.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: September 15, 2008 03:46

Loved the second hartford show on NS

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: September 15, 2008 04:22

IMO, I think they are going to have to do alot of the same this time around as far as stripped. As in arena's and a little more cut the production themes. Just my imagination,but i think your spot on Tim.I don't think they can do another world tour with big stadiums, they will be half empty, and that would be a big bummer.Unless they can down size and make it profitable, everybody does not need a @#$%& million a night! If they are truly into there music they know they need some serious consulting this time around. I'll give them my number no problemo.lol...But getting to the main point Tim yeah NS was a killer tour imo, Hey drop me a line i don't have your Lyon 07. I would love to have it i got the silver of it if you like but it's not that great of a recording i don't think. Because that show was amonst my best ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-15 04:25 by stonesfrk.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 15, 2008 04:30

My favorite tour - for most of the reasons mentioned above.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: September 15, 2008 12:27

1999 - No Security Tour One Of The Best Tour's.The Stones Where Real Good Playing .thumbs upKeith did for the first time,You got the Silver,Greath version.When the wind blows in Toronto .

1999 The Best Tour - I Hoop the going to do it next tour,no more Big Stadium.

Arena's en Small Clubgigs The Fans are Ready for this kind of Tour .>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-15 12:38 by Rufestone.

Date: September 15, 2008 12:50

FOOL TO CRY - PHILY 1999 .

MOONLIGHT MILE.

ROUTE 66 .

GET OF MY CLOUD.

SILVER.

TOP SHOW'S . smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 15, 2008 12:51

The only one I saw was the opening night of the NS European leg in stuttgart, and that for sure was a great show. They played well, all of them (including Ronnie), very good set list. The boot, some time later, only confirmed my great memories.

Also nice to have devil as an encore, so I could get out early without being stuck in the crowd.

C

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 16, 2008 03:16

We asked for more unusual songs in the setlists but at times wished we hadn't!

Varied setlists are fine in principle, but only if taken seriously; which means rehearsing them until they actually work as opposed to tossing off lazy, Chuck-dominated productions that had none of the guts or vibrancy of the originals.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 16, 2008 04:05

Great Intro. Best ever. Funny thing, as the tour was going on and just after it finished I read a of peoples reviews on how bad Ronnie was and the tour wasn't good at all. Now 10 years after the fact all I hear is how great it was. I saw 6 shows from this tour. The Stones kicked butt!

Date: September 16, 2008 06:41

gimme and him a break -- what is this anti-Chuck frenzy that sometimes grips people on this board??

And to say that he is calling the shots or "dominating" things, I think that is far removed from reality. I dont think this band would ever allow such a thing to happen. Listen to opinions and input, yes, but he does not make any final decisions.

In fact, I like Chuck, both his playing and his personality as I have met him before, very nice guy, spent time with us.

So get off Chuck!!!

p

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 16, 2008 09:16

It is the ONLY stones tour that I skipped going back to 1969. It just came too soon after the previous tour (VL was it?) to justify another expensive Stones concert.

Date: September 16, 2008 11:17

Who the Boss?.. Mick!.

All No Security Shows Where Recordered Video & Sound ,from the Opening till the End.

Special San Jose 2 Shows, for bring out at that time on Video.cool smileyThe Stones Bring Out(Nothing) so far ..

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 16, 2008 13:38

timbernardis
gimme and him a break -- what is this anti-Chuck frenzy that sometimes grips people on this board??

And to say that he is calling the shots or "dominating" things, I think that is far removed from reality. I dont think this band would ever allow such a thing to happen. Listen to opinions and input, yes, but he does not make any final decisions.

In fact, I like Chuck, both his playing and his personality as I have met him before, very nice guy, spent time with us.

So get off Chuck!!!
p

I listen with my ears, and what I hear throughout the many bootlegs from that tour is Chuck (high up in the mix) where there SHOULD be guitars.

This IS a guitar band, right?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 16, 2008 18:07

the last great tour for keith, who indeed had been carrying ronnie for the past few tours by this point. sadly, by the time the band reassembled in '02 his chops had eroded precipitously.

great opener in oakland, but by the time the band reached san jose for the makeup dates that would be the last of the usa leg, the band was apparently out of steam. didn't fare much better for most of the euro leg, either - the wembley shows are among their worst of the decade. and, although i liked the shepherd's bush gig setlist, the playing is at times atrocious...

setlists were chocked full of cool tunes...but i wished they had kept LQ instead of R66 in the opening b-stage slot...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 16, 2008 19:20

i caught the no security tour in hartford,and let me tell you what a pleasure it was,star star, repectable, some girls, and the best sympathy for the devil that i have ever heard that ended the show ,think the love you live version which just took my breath away and lets not forget keith set,how can i stop, and like a thief in the night .just killer very hypnotic wow it doesnt get any better than that .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2179
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home