Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Oasis - why are people still buying into this joke band
Date: September 9, 2008 19:53

..... when you can see agenuine Beatles tribute band like The Bootleg Beatles?

Discuss.

Re: Oasis - why are people still buying into this joke band
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:07

Sir Craven of Cottage
..... when you can see agenuine Beatles tribute band like The Bootleg Beatles?

Discuss.

I don't like them much either, but writing them off purely as a Beatles tribute band is a bit like writing off The Rolling Stones as a Chuck Berry tribute band (& I can hear more Chuck in early RS than I can Beatles in Oasis)... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-09 20:07 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:11

Definitely Maybe is not only the greatest album of the 1990's, but is arguably, the greatest debut by any artist, ever.

Date: September 9, 2008 20:20

I too hear a lot of Chuck Berry in the early Stones - so much that had they ceased to exist pre Satisfaction they might have only ever been considered as a Chuck Berry type act. The thing with Oass is that they have never done anything that is not blatantly derivative of soemthing else.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:31

i live in a farfetched place and haven't had cause to take any interest at all in the band -
i only watched the clip of the assault incident because my only other option this morning was to do some work. :E
Noel Gallagher appears to cultivate a Small-Faces-esque sort of look - but he seems too tall for that.
or am i imagining things again? [passing popcorn]

Date: September 9, 2008 20:34

Sir Craven of Cottage
I too hear a lot of Chuck Berry in the early Stones - so much that had they ceased to exist pre Satisfaction they might have only ever been considered as a Chuck Berry type act. The thing with Oass is that they have never done anything that is not blatantly derivative of soemthing else.

Ahh, but you are missing the point. Oasis may sound like other bands, but no band SOUNDS like Oasis.

In truth, yes of course they pinch the odd riff here and there. They don't exactly hide the fact. They wear their influences on their sleeves and are proud to do so.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:35

Been an Oasis follower since the first.
I agree that "definitely maybe" is an astounding listen all the way through and probably the best debut ever.

It's when all the press and comparisons to the Beatles are being made I disagree.
I have, from the beginning always heard much more 'Who' in Oasis than the Beatles.

They are much more like a modern day Who than anything else, but mostly they are really good at being Oasis.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:41

Oasis are total crap. Best debut album ever is AC/DC's and oddly enough, possibly Suede's first album. The Black Crowes debut is better than anything Oasis has ever done.

And the reason no one sounds like Oasis is because there is nothing to emulate - if someone wants to sound like The Beatles, just go play Beatles records. As for the Stones sounding only like Chuck Berry, I guess you don't hear the rest of the tunes they did. There is no way to compare the two.

And the best album of the 1990s? Achtung Baby. Then you have Nevermind and In Utero and the two Soundgarden albums that were huge. All miles beyond Oasis. Even Bridges To Babylon is better than anything Oasis has done or ever will do.

Date: September 9, 2008 20:44

Munichhilton

They are much more like a modern day Who than anything else...

Though without the stage act...

I can stomach a few of their better records, but on stage I find them incredibly boring.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:50

Liam kinda killed his voice, but it was fantastic sounding on those first two records. I don't pay attention to their offstage antics as I don't find them to be particularly interesting people. Great songs though. Slide Away, Some Might Say, Morning Glory are all great.

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: September 9, 2008 20:57

First two albums are great. By the way: Their version of Street Fighting Man kicks ass.

Date: September 9, 2008 21:01

Eirik
First two albums are great. By the way: Their version of Street Fighting Man kicks ass.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:01

I heard their SFM and wondered Who are these people ruining this song?

Date: September 9, 2008 21:07

skipstone
I heard their SFM and wondered Who are these people ruining this song?

First time I've heard it, but I pretty much knew what to expect (whiny voice, over-driven guitars, plodding beat)...

Thanks for reminding me that they're a one-trick pony.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:29

Incredibly rich arrangements and hooks that stay with you. Acquiesce is one of the best Oasis songs ever. I find Pearl Jam far more listenable than Soundgarden ever was. Grunge had no shelf life. Oasis keeps making compelling music and good rock n roll which is what a lot of people still want.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:34

Their first two albums and a handful of their early B-sides are actually very good, if you like good time rock n roll with attitude and few pretentions. The rest of their stuff sucks and swallows.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:37

First two albums are great in my opinion and I also like the compilation cd The Masterplan. I saw them live in 1996 at a large venue in Stockholm and would love to catch Oasis live at a club gig in the future.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: September 9, 2008 21:53

I dont like them too, but to be objective they wrote lots of good songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-09 21:55 by farawayeyes2.

Date: September 9, 2008 21:58

Oasis are a great band. @#$%& the haters.

Date: September 9, 2008 22:06

Actually, the best album of the 90s was Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The first two by Oasis don't compare.

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:11

farawayeyes2
I dont like them too, but to be objective they wrote lots of good songs.

they wrote exactly ONE song and changed the chord patterns and the lyrics of that a thousand times.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:14

"There's only one song." - Keith Richards

Nikolai is partly correct: two great albums, great b-sides comp, and halfway decent, if derivative (of their own stuff) releases since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-09 22:15 by Zack.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:16

How about adding a little "IMO" to your thesis?

I for one, don't give a rats ass about the red chili dippers.

Date: September 9, 2008 22:28

Sir Craven of Cottage
Actually, the best album of the 90s was Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The first two by Oasis don't compare.

I thought it was Wandering Spirit?

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:31

Sleepy City
Sir Craven of Cottage

I thought it was Bridges To Babylon?

Date: September 9, 2008 22:37

Eirik
Sleepy City
Sir Craven of Cottage

I thought it was Bridges To Babylon?

I always thought Voodoo Lounge and Main Offender were the best Stones/related albums of the 90s. But let's face it nobody other than a Stones fan would select any Stones album as representing the 90s.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:40

I saw them in Montreal last friday - they are much more than a Beatles cover band. They were really great with great warmup-band.

Off courrse they had 3-4 sing along songs, but they also played other more heavier songs that can't be compared to any Beatles thing at all.

Funny enough - the singer, Liam, didn't stay onstage all the time and in the end he left stage way before the other ones.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 9, 2008 22:47

I never understood the adulation for Oasis. Definitely Maybe is ok at best, and a lot of their other stuff I've heard outright sucks. It seems people miss The Beatles and the (Keith Moon-era) Who so much they're willing to over rate these bland knock offs.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 9, 2008 23:09

one of the finest live acts i've ever seen.

They've always had a special place in my heart - and always will.

Date: September 10, 2008 01:02

video for upcoming single, Shock Of The Lighning. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home